Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Was it VB you had fitted @DavidG58 (as opposed to "VS")?
For those interested here's VB's FullAir rear suspension brochure for Mercedes (5 tonne):
Broken Link Removed
You can see from the pictures that this is a substantial piece of steelwork built into the chassis, plus the compressor... not to be confused with after-sales "air assist" systems, the FullAir replaces the original rear suspension (correct me if I have that wrong...).
Technical spec sheet is here: Broken Link Removed

I've specced this on a new Frankia as they say it cannot be retro-fitted. Perhaps with other MH builders such as Rapido & Hymer, on a Merc, it can be retro-fitted... I think it might be to do with the GRP bottom on the Frankia, maybe other things built around the rear axle like water tanks or whatever. Maybe whether there is a double floor or not makes a difference. The option cost for Frankia is just over £5000. This is one of the few threads discussing the ins & outs in any detail and as I have zero experience in these matters it swung it for me (it's a 5% increase in the MH cost... in for a penny in for a pound etc). I've also read elsewhere general criticisms of the rock&roll of the narrower Merc chassis compared to the Fiat AlKo.

I'd be really interested in any update you would care to give @DavidG58, now you've had a few months to get used to how it works. Do you use different settings (pressure) for motorway/cruising and for slower/more bumpy tracks? Have you found the rear-lift handy for ferry ramps? Has it worked without further issues? Is your MH now a better driving experience overall?
TIA

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Dafydd

Had to go and have look, it says VB Full Air 2C on the remote control

Ours certainly has substantial steelwork under MH, in fact too much, we now have to be more careful backing up to high kerbs as the first thing to make contact is the suspension, which sits very low

As for update, I use it solely in auto mode, although I have manually raised the rear for a very steep entrance to a site where we would have grounded (didn't this time) will be excellent for ferries

The ride improvement is there but to be honest not £4k's worth of improvement

But no issues other than just found out there is a recall which SAP have advised me of, going back next week

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back