Mercedes 7G gearbox parts issue (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This is actually with our car but I'm posting it here because the same issue could easily affect Motorhomes fitted with it.

So the car has been brilliant, love it, never let us down until last Thursday. Short version - There is apparently nothing mechanically wrong with it but it has locked itself in park because the electric gismo on the side of the gearbox that controls what gear its in has failed.

I got it taken to my preferred garage and its apparently an easy enough fix BUT Mercedes are being incredibly difficult about supplying the part. Apparently they consider it a security part so we are required to prove our identity and our ownership and have to give a letter permitting our garage owner to go to the Mercedes dealer and get the parts for our car and they will decide whether he is sufficiently vetted to fit the thing. Then and only then will they order the part which will be coded to our particular car.

Luckily it broke down within a couple of miles of home and close to the garage but how inconvenient this would be if it was a motorhome on holiday. There is no overide, it still is locked in park and had to be recovered with all 4 wheels off the ground. MH would need a rear end lift or propshaft removed, and you would need to have all your documentation with you even in the UK.

The most ridiculous thing is that if Mercedes would just supply the part it would have been back on the road on Friday whereas we currently have no idea how long it will be.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And its not the weather to get the bike out Jon, what a bummer and take your point about being a B----y ridiculous situation, we are all victims to technology now bring back gear levers ;)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
And its not the weather to get the bike out Jon, what a bummer and take your point about being a B----y ridiculous situation, we are all victims to technology now bring back gear levers ;)

Martin

I have wondered how the African market would deal with it - cut a hole in the floor and weld a stick on - hmmmmmm??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks but it has the column mounted stalk which is literally a switch with no override button.

Agh, the dreaded stalk shift!

I had the same problem on a Brand New Mercedes B Class Rental car. Only had 250km on the clock.

Okay, well if anyone ends up with a stuck Sprinter with standard shift or car with similar. There is an over-ride as I stated.
1AC3EF93-D30D-45A1-B5CC-811DDA85F1EB.jpeg
3B493BC6-2090-4AED-8C02-F2FFE0553B93.jpeg
EB982D79-62B2-40F1-AEF1-829E676609EB.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back