Mercedes 2.9 1994 - opinions please. (1 Viewer)

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Strange, just read this post, and not sure if the poster knows I've just bought an S555 Mercedes, 2.9 310 d (auto/diesel) in Holland.

I was in touch with the guy at Ikonic, really helpful and was going to buy one from him, but at £16k, I thought the price a bit too high, and by chance found one in Holland and went and got it.

Had to replace both batteries the next day, 360 euros, but having driven it back to Scotland, found there was a battery drain, but it's on the habitation side rather than engine.

Just had MOT done on it, minor things like windscreen wipers, door catch and back breaks out of alignment, total cost £125 + £40 MOT.

Just need to register it tomorrow.

It's a great drive, okay you're not going to really motor it, but I am happy chugging along at 70mph.

And yes, as others have said, hoping it will last for many, many years, many trips and countries.

Go for it I would say, although you could save a few grand if you could be bothered importing yourself. :thumb: (Mines a 1992 by the way!)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi, We had a S700 with the non turbo engine. It will go forever but they do have some limitations. They are SLOW and noisy and not good on fuel, however you are able to fit the overdrive gearbox (113 cast on side of box) this will reduce the noise and could have a retro turbo fitted, but they do not improve them much

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have a 312 D Auto on a P plate with a La Strada conversion. It is not the fastest of machines but it is reasonably faster after a few bottles of redox and some vegetable oil and quieter with sound insulation; I think that I paid over the odds for the acoustic blanket and kit that I bought - the difference wasn't massive but I also got some acoustic foam (fire proof etc) which seems to have made a bigger difference - when I first got the van I was shell shocked after driving it for 45 mins - my ears were ringing and it was pointless having the radio on at 60mph. Now, I can have a conversation with people in the rear. We get around 28mpg when driving around 60 mph.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
mac183
I am currently considering a 1994 Hymer S550, approx 18 feet long, Merc 2.9 five cylinder non-turbo, and have read much about how older Mercs are better than the newer ones.

Are there any views on the quality or otherwise of this engine (80k miles).
longevity, reliability, faults to expect during use etc?

Also, being a non-turbo, how will it perform (max weight 3300kg). Will it's lack of power drive me nuts? I have not had chance to drive it yet.

Generally, what is the wisdom or otherwise of buying a van of this age?

Thanks in advance.

I am currently considering a 1994 Hymer S550, approx 18 feet long, Merc 2.9 five cylinder non-turbo, and have read much about how older Mercs are better than the newer ones.

Are there any views on the quality or otherwise of this engine (80k miles).
longevity, reliability, faults to expect during use etc?

Also, being a non-turbo, how will it perform (max weight 3300kg). Will it's lack of power drive me nuts? I have not had chance to drive it yet.

Generally, what is the wisdom or otherwise of buying a van of this age?

Thanks in advance.
I’m looking find this type of Motorhome
Possible that you would sell them?

Best regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back