Merc service intervals (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hymer Mercedes service intervals. We have driven 8,000 miles since our last main dealer service back in Feb 2019.With mot due by October on this 2014 registered vehicle I contemplated another service whilst mot also. The on board computer says another 26,000 miles before service B is due. How much time do people allow to pass before another service.
Thanks

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I do what the machine tells me, but change the oil every year - around 10k.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I get it serviced every year,alongside the MOT. It has only flagged up once in nearly 9 years of ownership that it was due in the next 30 days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A little known fact, Mercedes once serviced by a main dealer annually maintains full European breakdown Cover FOC šŸ‘ So Mertrux remind me when I pick mine up after annual service

we still have RAC cover but in retirement am looking to save a few Ā£ā€™s here and there going to research this one a bit further

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I must admit that I am confused about my own servicing requirements. When I asked the Merc dealer, they said wait for ā€œthe computer to tell you!ā€ We go off abroad for months at a time, so where previously we would have serviced and prepped we must now wait for big brother to instruct us and this might now happen whilst we are away.

The previous post about Mercedes maintaining full European cover if serviced by their dealers is interesting. I was under the impression that for this to take effect, you need to join their Mobilo Van service which I had assumed was for a cost. I have been trying to contact them but all I get is a taped message telling me I am 35 in the waiting list etc etc.
Thanks for the heads up though and I hope that this is correct.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have used the Mobilo service twice for small problems. You are automatically entitled to the service if main dealer has previously serviced the van. They ask your reg and garage last used. The system confirms you have serviced with a main dealer and they send out engineer from the closest dealership.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
A little known fact, Mercedes once serviced by a main dealer annually maintains full European breakdown Cover FOC šŸ‘ So Mertrux remind me when I pick mine up after annual service

we still have RAC cover but in retirement am looking to save a few Ā£ā€™s here and there going to research this one a bit further

My E350 Bluetec has a full main dealer service history and as mentioned I am entitled to European breakdown cover. However, now it is out of warranty I will use the local bloke and five star cover from elsewhere which will still be less than a Dealership service! They (Marshalls) are pretty rubbish anyway...

Nigel Tate

Free Member
Feb 4, 2011
Matlock
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010

No need to research, if you have your service every year at a MB main dealer, you get ā€œfreeā€ pan European breakdown and recovery.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Mercedes service intervals are reasonably clear.
Its almost paradoxical but a hard working Sprinter actually needs its oil changing less that a lightly used motorhome.
We have an R350 & because we're retired, it doesn't do many miles, so I change the oil once a year, Mercedes themselves recommend the same practice.
Its all to do with cold starts & its a well known fact that the greatest pressure for any engine is the "owned by an old granny" as that vehicle rarely gets up to temperature, so minimum oil getting around before it gets warm.
A works van often hits the ground running, our ambulances did two 12hr shifts a day 7 days a week, so was on the go all day & all night, this is looked upon as being ideal conditions for an engine.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Maybe Mertrux are better than Mercedes Glasgow, I gave them another chance after my Vito fiasco with them and they blew it big time. Ask TeeMyob about Mertrux.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
My E350 Bluetec has a full main dealer service history and as mentioned I am entitled to European breakdown cover. However, now it is out of warranty I will use the local bloke and five star cover from elsewhere which will still be less than a Dealership service! They (Marshalls) are pretty rubbish anyway...

Uh-oh! Marshalls (Poole) are my nearest dealers and where I will be taking mine. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Uh-oh! Marshalls (Poole) are my nearest dealers and where I will be taking mine. Fingers crossed!
We were in Poole when Marshalls sent a engineer through the Mobilo service. Our conversation proved he was much more knowledgeable than the S & B Commercials Merc garage in Thurrock. They messed around all day and failed to find a "fault". He knew about it immediately.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
have decided to have a minor service performed by the mot garage in August. Oil, oil filter and fuel filter, etc. They use manufacturer parts.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Marshalls of Southampton failed to spot this large split in the tyre at the last major service. Our local man picked it up at the first MOT a couple of weeks later!
20191112_091813.jpg

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Marshalls of Southampton failed to spot this large split in the tyre at the last major service. Our local man picked it up at the first MOT a couple of weeks later!
View attachment 400886
Proves its only as good as the engineer allocated to your service. Like a change of chef makes or breaks and meal.
So what's the answer to getting a professional to work on your van when we can only leave the keys at reception. šŸ¤”šŸ˜ž

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back