Merc auxiliary heater? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Doe anybody know if this 2004 Merc image heats the cab WITHOUT the engine running or key in the ignition.

I know the round dial has aircon at 12 o clock, REST at 6 o clock to heat cab for 30 minutes after engine has just been switched off and booster heater at 9 o clock to heat engine quicker after you start it up.
What does the middle rectangular dial do with the 3 arrows on?
merc auxiliary heater.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
pretty certain it will not, sorry, ours is the next generation and has an auxiliary heat option but only when engine running, not sure if that was standard or not

One thing it might have though is 'residual' heating, if you have aircon and the word 'rest' on the control press that when engine has been turned off, the heating will use residual heat or cold to maintain same temperature as when turned off (y)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
pretty certain it will not, sorry, ours is the next generation and has an auxiliary heat option but only when engine running, not sure if that was standard or not

One thing it might have though is 'residual' heating, if you have aircon and the word 'rest' on the control press that when engine has been turned off, the heating will use residual heat or cold to maintain same temperature as when turned off (y)

Yes I mention the REST David in my first post, that is to heat the cab for 30 mins using engine heat after engine is switched off, the heater booster at 9 o clock does what you say getting engine up to temp quicker.
Surely the auxiliary heater does something different though?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Does yours have the same dial David as the rectangular one in the middle of the photo? There is a clock to presumably set a timer and arrows to compliment it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What does the middle rectangular dial do with the 3 arrows on?

Is that not where the blown air directed and the one end of the is recirculated air.

Have to say I have a Merc and haven't really got to grips with the way the system works :rolleyes:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Your dash is different to mine, that rectangular bit looks well fitted but possibly not a Mercedes part?

Did you edit your post, I cant believe I didn't read the bit about air on and rest :(

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Your dash is different to mine, that rectangular bit looks well fitted but possibly not a Mercedes part?

Did you edit your post, I cant believe I didn't read the bit about air on and rest :(

What year is yours David, the photos are from a 54 plate van.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I believe it does mean that you have auxiliary cab heating; it looks like the control shown in my handbook as an optional extra. I am not at home right now so cannot check the book I’m afraid. Also, the switch to the right of it is, I believe, a control for central diff locking on 4-wheel drive, do you have this?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you are talking about the dial in the middle.

It directs air to the screen, feet area etc.
Im sure it just uses air inside the cab when you use the end with the part circle on it.
Maybe by pressing or pulling it, sorry cant remember which now.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I believe it does mean that you have auxiliary cab heating; it looks like the control shown in my handbook as an optional extra. I am not at home right now so cannot check the book I’m afraid. Also, the switch to the right of it is, I believe, a control for central diff locking on 4-wheel drive, do you have this?

Thanks, I am considering buying the van, so that means it is independent of the engine running then?

I thought the button was diff lock but not 4 wheel drive, that's what the van is advertised as.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the heating can be used without the engine running. Not sure about the diff lock question without referring to the handbook I’m afraid.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you are talking about the dial in the middle.

It directs air to the screen, feet area etc.
Im sure it just uses air inside the cab when you use the end with the part circle on it.
Maybe by pressing or pulling it, sorry cant remember which now.

No I am talking about the rectangular dial with the 3 arrows on and clock symbol bottom left.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the diff lock would be nice, we don't have that but do have traction control, no doubt thought to be superior at the time o_O

Martin @funflair has diff lock on his Iveco rear wheel drive don't think it is only for 4X4

Mine is an 05 chassis, first of a new design I think, like most of my MH 99% prototype :(

auxiliary heating would be a nice feature, hope it works out for you

our rest option is electronic rather than turn dial we push a button, very useful though, for hot and cold days (y)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
the diff lock would be nice, we don't have that but do have traction control, no doubt thought to be superior at the time o_O

Martin @funflair has diff lock on his Iveco rear wheel drive don't think it is only for 4X4

Mine is an 05 chassis, first of a new design I think, like most of my MH 99% prototype :(

our rest option is electronic rather than turn dial we push a button, very useful though, for hot and cold days (y)

This one is a 54 plate, registered in 2005 David so similar?

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Surely the merc bit is not new design David, the Hymer bit could be, I didn't think the merc design changed until 2007 Reg.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
my dash is definitely different to yours and definitely an 05 chassis as on C of C papers, delivered to Hymer in 06, ours is the twin rear wheel chassis, not sure if that affects things, will post a photo of dash tomorrow when we get MH back

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks David, yes so different.

I would have sworn if you hadn't said that yours was a 2007+ dashboard.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Doe anybody know if this 2004 Merc image heats the cab WITHOUT the engine running or key in the ignition.

I know the round dial has aircon at 12 o clock, REST at 6 o clock to heat cab for 30 minutes after engine has just been switched off and booster heater at 9 o clock to heat engine quicker after you start it up.
What does the middle rectangular dial do with the 3 arrows on?View attachment 195017
This help?

Attachments

• 7daytime.pdf
    165.2 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This help?

Many thanks Tony, it looks like that is the one and it is only the coolant heater version not the air heater
Edit, maybe I am wrong and the coolant heater heats both the coolant and cab and is both coolant and air heater.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Maybe this is a stupid question but if the engine is not running where does the heat come from?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Methinks you may have additional heating provided to the cab vents via an Eberspacher blown air diesel heater. I had one, but not with the same controls. The exhaust appeared under the LH wheel arch and the unit was buried somewhere inaccessible through the A-class 'bonnet'.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Isn’t that a controller for a webasto pre-engine heater..? You should see something under the bonnet, my old rover 75 had something similar... runs off diesel..

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe this is a stupid question but if the engine is not running where does the heat come from?

It would come from the heater firing up just like any diesel heater in a motorhome/cab area.
Just trying to establish if that is what it is.

Reto

Free Member
Apr 25, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660Sl Bestline
Exp
Hi It’s very similar to the Webasto ThermoTop (aux diesel heating ) controller in my 2010 Hymer which was an optional extra but I also have a separate switch to direct heat to pre-heat engine or cab. Can’t see that directional switch on yours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back