Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Any one got a Repido 986m 2004 with a automatic sprit shift Gear box?
If so does, it make you smile or swear?

Thanks in advance

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had a Mercedes based 04 Pilote and the gearbox didn't make me smile much o_O

especially when it regularly dumped itself into 3rd gear and wouldn't budge, some kind of safe limp mode

reset by stopping and restarting, never did resolve it, sold it on

when it was OK it was actually good and nice to drive, but I rarely bothered with the shift option, just used as straight auto

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Autotrail on a 04 sprinter, love it great for towing, Thats from someone who said they hate auto's & would never have one:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It was only when I bought my first Sprinter with SprintShift that I discovered there was an "F" in Gearbox.

Only 8,000 miles and 3 years old and it was a bl33ding nightmare of a thing. No Mercedes or Independent could fix it. In-fact, one MB dealer said it needed a "Clutch Position Sensor" Whilst another said it did not have such a thing. Another wanted £850 a pop to replace the Clutch sensor, Hydraulic pump and then the Clutch on a trial and error basis.

The SprintShift was never fitted to the 6 Series Sprinter as it was not strong enough, the best option being the the optional 5G-Tronic that not many people specified on 2,3 and 4 series as SprintShit was £450 cheaper. But 6 Series Sprinters with 5G is, as far as I am aware, are only able to tow 750kG.

Mercedes who built VW's Crafter. Handed down the SprintShift and it was re-branded ShiftMatic. Mercedes fitted 5G-Tronic only until 7G-Tronic was introduced (except for 4x4 Sprinters).

I wonder why!

We went to a 6 Speed manual V6 Sprinter, then a V6 5G-Tronic and now I have a MB Traveliner Sprinter with 5G-Tronic that is now playing up.

Though My 19 Year Mercedes S500 V8 has a very reliable 5G-Tronic that has done 160,000 miles.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back