Menton in the d mail (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was planing to stay on the old customs post in menton next month, but according to the mail today immigrants are flooding over the border from Italy along that road, is it safe to park there, has anyone been recently, undecided whether to change the plan now or is it just paper talk

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Only mention I could find is in Telegraph from Aug 5th:

“Most of the migrants who are stopped are sent back to Italy or invited to leave France and set free, to the dismay of the police,” said Le Figaro. The situation on the border with Italy, particularly in the town of Menton, had become “untenable”, according to the paper.

I think as long as you have a Plan B you should be ok. Arrive where you want to camp, are there other vans there or are you alone? Signs of rough sleepers? Does it feel safe? If no to any of the above I'd head for a well occupied Aire or campsite. These people are pretty desperate. No benefits in France, handouts of food from charities only. And holidaymakers carry money, passports, small items ( iPod, ipad, PC, cameras, watches) that can easily be sold. I'm not trying to criminalise asylum seekers/ refugees but when you've nothing to lose....

The article is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...arn-of-alarming-rise-in-illegal-migrants.html

I can understand the Calais Deputy Mayor's frustration but Britain didn't issue invitations to these people!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is the place we were thinking of staying it is a photo off the menton tourist page, looks good and thought of use ing the train to go to ventimiglia but according to the stories that is full of immigrants as well
image.jpg

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
I say trust your gut feeling - You are obviously not happy about it, put plan B into action now so you can chill out !

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I would be worried about leaving my motorhome unattended all day if I knew there had been problems in the area.
It looks really nice but you'll have to go with gut instinct and have a back up Aire or campsite in mind.

Let us know how your trip goes. I'd be really interested to hear if there are as many problems as the press would have us believe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Julie has emailed the tourist place, to ask what it is like for parking there, really wanted to go there and it seemed ideal as we like ventimiglia market and monaco and the the station is only about 50 yards up the road, for the train in both directions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back