Memory Foam Topper Purchasing (1 Viewer)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
There have been several threads on the benefits of memory foam toppers so I not asking for views on this.
What I am asking is for the experience of anyone who has gone through the process of purchasing them. There seems to be wide variations in cost of single size ones from about £25 to £75+. The lower priced ones are "Direct from Manufacturer" whilst the more expensive ones are "named" brands like sleepeze.
Has anyone tried the cheap option is it worth going that way?

John

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I purchased one for home and one for the MH. The one at home is a 3" one and was bought via the internet, however it did not have a cover so this had to be bought separately. The one for the van was bought from Dunelm with cover already on. Both are fine but have had to cut down the one for the MH due to shape. The internet purchase was a good deal but through choice prefer Dunelm as easier to return and can see what you are getting.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We bought a thin double memory foam topper from a motorhome show last year for Udo.

It was good. Made a noticeable difference. Worth the money. It wasn't 'branded' and I cannot recall the supplier but it wasn't terribly expensive.

After about 7 months using Udo, I found in need of a little more support, so we bought a 5cm Duvalay for our fixed bed and that, again, was another huge step-up from the previous topper. The 'old' one went on the drop down double that our son uses, so it didn't go to waste.

I'd definitely buy Duvalay again. They're exceptionally well-made.

If a good night's sleep really matters, then I don't think paying decent money for high quality bedding should be an issue. The cost differential is soon forgotten. However, this is just our experience and I'm sure others will differ.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
John the test for a good quality topper is to drop a steel bearing on it, if it bounces walk away, if it lands with a thud and no bounce then buy it'

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would only buy Rakself. Its expensive, but we've tried a couple of cheaper ones and they are just not as good. The worse thing I found with the cheaper versions is they get hot. The Reskelf is so comfy, even in the warmest weather. The cheaper ones make great dog beds though (y)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought one in April from Broken Link Removed.

We have two fixed single beds one of which is 78" long. In addition each bed was about 33" wide. So I bought a super king sized 2" thick for £47.50 (including delivery) and then cut it to fit each bed. Easy enough to do and worked well. We fitted a mattress protector to each one and then put single fitted sheet on them. Now much easier to change the sheets as we do not have to lift up the heavy mattress.

We bought these because we found the bed mattress a bit too hard for our liking - we both ended up with sore hips. They have worked reasonably well and we get a much better night's sleep. However if I bought again I would get the 3" thick size.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We decided on a custom made Duvalay complete matress. We spend a third of our holiday in bed so it is worth getting it right. We bought almost straight away after buying the van so coming up to two years and it is just so comfy. I expect we will not wear it out in less than ten years so the cost overall is not expensive to us.
Including tailored covers
CA_05131413545465-XL.jpg

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Agree with Jim about the heat with memory foam mattress - I was advised by a bed salesman that this was an issue with Memfoam beds. The solution is to make sure you use a cool max cover as this reduces the heat.

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Following major spinal surgery I took the advice of my pain nurse and bought a very expensive 2inch Tempur mattress topper which is excellent. I have also slept on cheaper toppers of various thicknesses, none of which are the same but all of which are beneficial.
I wouldn't say that the thickness dictates the amount of comfort offered, more the quality, personal preference and very dependant on what mattress you have underneath.
Much like buying a loaf of bread, shop around and see what choice there is, give a squeeze and buy what appeals at a price you are comfortable paying. It will no doubt do the job and satisfy, however, if it really pleases you will either be the type of person that sticks with what you have discovered or at some stage venture to try a different version. If you are like me you will never buy white sliced again and will always opt for a really comfortable bed !

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
We have Raskelf toppers and find that they are very good.
However Pam is now looking at these.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24823/

Brisey.

Can't recommend the Ikea one. I house sat in the winter of 2010/11 ---- after a week could barely walk. It was the ikea bed and the bloody awful ikea topper.
Horrendously uncomfortable.

Bought a memory foam mattress, slept on that on the floor for the test of the stay then sold it on Ebay few days before I left.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We bought 2 Duvalays at the Western Show at Malvern,nice and warm and comfy (y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've got 2 single size duvalays and whilst they are great when used with the beds as singles, when we make the bed into a king they are hopeless, because the 2 flaps of the duvet overlap each other. I do like the memory foam aspect though.

I was tempted to buy a topper for our bed at home but after spending the night at a friends sleeping in her memory foam spare bed I've had second thoughts. Waking up in a sweaty mess during a nightmare of being eaten alive by a monster marshmallow did it for me.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
One thing to bear in mind is once purchased they cannot be returned so choose a shop where you can try before you buy. John Lewis?

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Can't recommend the Ikea one. I house sat in the winter of 2010/11 ---- after a week could barely walk. It was the ikea bed and the bloody awful ikea topper.
Horrendously uncomfortable.

Bought a memory foam mattress, slept on that on the floor for the test of the stay then sold it on Ebay few days before I left.

Dont think it was this mattress http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24823/ as this is a new model this year. But do agree with you regarding Ikea bed some of them are very uncomfortabe and have very thin toppers on them as we did try them out when visiting the shop.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To date we've had 3 double memory foam toppers, the first we got from Peterborough show many, many years ago for our home bed and it cost us about £100 which was a lot then, but it has lasted very well and we still have it on our bed at home. We also have a cheaper one which was originally bought for our Rimor's fixed bed (in 2007) but is now on our spare double bed at home, it's not fantastic but still better than without it. In our van we have one which cost us about £50 I think from a local market and is as good as the first expensive one we bought - we've had it for at least 4 years now moving it from our Chausson Flash 04 to our current Autocruise Accent. When we put it in our Chausson I had to cut it to shape as the bed tapered off at the foot end, however our current van isn't tapered and the bed is a bit wider than the Chausson's so my leg tends to drop off the edge of the topper in the night which isn't very comfortable so unfortunately, although it's still well up to the job, we'll have to get another!

It really depends on the density of the foam as well as the thickness and you simply cannot beat having a good 'squeeze' in person to see how rigid it is! :D

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
One thing to bear in mind is once purchased they cannot be returned so choose a shop where you can try before you buy. John Lewis?

You do get to take it back if you are not happy with the purchase at Ikea there is a 90 day try it if you are not happy take it back, plus there is a 25yr guarantee

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I didn't mean ikea, I was thinking of dunelm mill or similar as the op said he may try a cheaper option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back