Memories,triggered by,Ice cold winters days ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just read "LPG and the Cold"thread,and straight away i was taken back to one bitterly cold,but dry Sat afternoon at Sinners farm. It was about 15.30hrs,we were in the yard,fettling the lorries for mondays battles.
Mrs. A.Had brought down an industrial size full tea Pot,with mugs and milk as usual and then said."I will be back in a minute " 10 minutes later,down she comes from the farm,with a tray covered with a tea towel,took it into the barn and said." I have been watching from the house,you all look frozen stiff,tuck into these"
A FEAST!!. Staffordshire Oatcakes,spread with Branston pickle,with grated cheese on top,folded over and put in the oven to heat up................ I can still taste them now,typing this,and the date? about '86.There are loads more,but that one sprang to mind. (Also used as an Aide memoire,when i can get my hands on Oatcakes,tried making them............. Pass!!!(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n))
What are yours.
Tea Bag..Twinned with....Oatcake?(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Crittall windows on council houses with ice on the inside of the window where the condensation had frozen. Happy days, haha

Yes I remember marvelling at those indoor patterns. 3 boys in a bed, army grey blankets with old over coats thrown on top for additional warmth. My youngest brother would often pee the bed, which of course is only warm for a little while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
On the old "PIPARIKI" the trunking channeling heat to the Deck Crowds cabins had collapsed somewhere inside the asbestos Lagging.
Waking up in the morning with Ice on the Cabin Walls, and if you were unfortunate enough to have the bottom bunk, the condensation from your breath had frozen on the bedsprings of the Bunk above.

Wild days but good days

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Yes I remember marvelling at those indoor patterns. 3 boys in a bed, army grey blankets with old over coats thrown on top for additional warmth. My youngest brother would often pee the bed, which of course is only warm for a little while.

Two storey council house only heated by coal fire in downstairs "front room". Bedtime, stand in front of the fire until your PJs started to scorch and then a dash upstairs to get into bed, still wearing your dressing gown. The eiderdown was dad's demob great coat.

Ah, them were the days :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Did you have the esso blue man come round delivering the parafin from a tank on the back of his truck, measuring it out into a gallon jug ? Imagine health and safety today measuring fuel out like that on a public road .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I remember when I was in the 6th form we had heavy snow and a power cut for a week and school was closed for 4 days.

We spent most of those 4 days in the pub by candlelight although what we could drink was limited because some of the beer pumps needed electricity.

Happy days(y)

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
Sitting with my three brothers and two sisters on a fence by the A17 the day my dad died, almighty crash and the driver blamed us as he had never seen six kids sat in a line howling our eyes out

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Metre-deep frozen snow on the yard, having to get a JCB in to dig out the horses. Mucking out onto the track he dug to try to stop it freezing again so we could get the horses to the indoor school for some exercise. Riding with 3 rugs on the horses, riders wearing thermals, T-shirt, shirt, 2 sweaters, Puffa & parka. Doesn't make for much finesse!
This went on for over 2 weeks.
But we also had a bit of fun & harnessed a pony to a sledge - Star in a Reasonable Priced Car had nothing on us!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Two storey council house only heated by coal fire in downstairs "front room". Bedtime, stand in front of the fire until your PJs started to scorch and then a dash upstairs to get into bed, still wearing your dressing gown. The eiderdown was dad's demob great coat.

Ah, them were the days :)
Think we've all been there.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place......open the room door qnd let some heat upstairs or keep it closed and a toasty room.....the room always won.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ah, winters as a kid. Yes just the coal fire in the lounge and maybe a paraffin heater on the landing if you were lucky. One hot water bottle between three kids and you were so cold you didn't know whether to run and get it off your brother when it was your turn or leave well alone. And going to the outside loo at any time especially last thing at night, and no light in there, how did we ever grow up? :LOL:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Remember these?
HWB.JPG

(We did have stoppers in ours!)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No - we each had our own (rubber) hot water bottle - mine was a pig! Literally, the pig was moulded in and the head had a sort of collar over it which was his hat. He was fully dressed .......

And we had china gazundas, all year round in view of the outside loo and living in a terraced house so you would come downstairs - open the stairs door - so mom would have to get up and move her chair, then out the opposite door into the kitchen, unlock the back door and out onto the yard and thence the loo. Do you blame us having po's?

No running hot water or an inside loo till I was 17, when much the same applied since the new bathroom was now off the other end of the kitchen - so the same palaver! Only time you were allowed heating upstairs was when you were ill in bed during winter, when whatever electric fire was current was utilised, with DIRE warnings about staying in bed and not under any circumstances even THINKING of going anywhere near it! You were glad to be declared better - so boring!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
There was still a warming pan in the loft in the Faroes when we had a clear out and my son's ex MiL still used a ceramic bottle last time we saw her. :eek:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Crittall windows on council houses with ice on the inside of the window where the condensation had frozen. Happy days, haha

Same as that, scrapping the ice off to look to see if it had snowed.

Then getting up, quickly getting dressed to get infront of the open fire downstairs.

Central heating Pahh :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
White water canoeing (and swimming) on or in the river Swale and Tees amongst others, it was a winter pastime as the rivers were open ie no fishermen.

Now when I go outside on a cold day I just think we must have been B----y stupid.

Martin

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I remember the stone hot water bottles, we also had a metal one filled with sand that was heated in the oven of the "range"

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Scraping the ice off the windscreen (outside and inside) of my VW T2, driving 50 yards up the road and having to stop to scrape the inside and outside of the windscreen again :)

Cheers

Trevor

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Also ice on the inside of bedroom windows.
Oh and the Christmas I sat far too close to the electric fire in the living room while wearing a party dress with layers of net underskirts---- which caught fire.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
we were very poor and when it was cold we would sit around a candle, and when it was very cold dad would light it ray xx lol still lol my wife loves me because I fit c/heating lovely and warm now not like when we were young

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Old eiderdowns (which we graduated to after using army and naval greatcoats) and twangy bedsprings in steel frames, condensation freezing on the old critall metal framed windows, sharing a room with two brothers and the dull light of the old Bakelite valve radio - permanently tuned in to Radio Luxemburg, coal deliveries, the sound of our da knocking his pipe out on the downstairs fireplace and the misery of getting out of bed in the morning - unless of course there was snow outside to play in.

True memories of winter in our house. Two channels - both black and white - on our TV, a larder (eventually we got a gas fridge) the Beano annual at Christmas in a pillowcase at the end of the bed. Being the youngest, I never saw new clothes for the first ten years of my life

The nostalgia is wonderful, but how the hell did we survive it all? Did it do us any harm? My da died at 93, my mam was 99 in August(!) and still soldiering on with constant care (all centrally heated and double glazed now of course)

Thanks for bringing back the memories. I'm sorry I will never see those times again, but glad for my own kids

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back