Membership of EU as opposed to Schengen Agreement. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As I understand signatory Membership of the EU under the Rome Treaty and Signatories to the Schengen Agreement are separate.

However, in the last couple of decades the EU have insisted that new Members of the EU have to undertake to sign the Schengen Agreement. Prior to that it was not a requirement, thus some countries, including UK, are Members of the EU but not Schengen, whereas some countries are members of Schengen but not the EU, e.g. Norway.

Is it possible for the UK to join Schengen now, regardless of leaving the EU

That would solve a lot of problems for UK Residents and Passport holders.

Geoff

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
As I understand signatory Membership of the EU under the Rome Treaty and Signatories to the Schengen Agreement are separate.

However, in the last couple of decades the EU have insisted that new Members of the EU have to undertake to sign the Schengen Agreement. Prior to that it was not a requirement, thus some countries, including UK, are Members of the EU but not Schengen, whereas some countries are members of Schengen but not the EU, e.g. Norway.

Is it possible for the UK to join Schengen now, regardless of leaving the EU

That would solve a lot of problems for UK Residents and Passport holders.

Geoff
That would upset a lots of people though. It would mean that there would be no passport controls at our border for other Schengen countries ie France. Therefore anyone in France could not be stopped coming here.

I think most of the people voting for Brexit did so that we could control our borders. Or to put it another way keep out those they did not think should be here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
That would upset a lots of people though. It would mean that there would be no passport controls at our border for other Schengen countries ie France. Therefore anyone in France could not be stopped coming here.

I think most of the people voting for Brexit did so that we could control our borders. Or to put it another way keep out those they did not think should be here.
But still let us go to Benidorm for our hollibobs so we can eat fish and chips and drink watneys red barrel etc.:rolleyes:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

We've always had that option but the Govt chose not to exercise it - nothing to do with the EU.
Unfortunately, as a result of egocentricity/arrogance/xenophobia/dumbness, they didn't realise that rules work both ways.... :rollingeyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Funny that...every outer that I speak to always denies this as their reason for voting out. Someone is being liberal with the truth me thinks...:)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Slightly off topic, just a reply to 2x2 camper.
We may be a little island but our economy is larger than the bottom 18 countries in the EU combined.
5th largest in the world.
Based on the fact that we can freely trade with the EU both in physical goods but mostly in services that account for the vast majority of GDP!

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
It is young people that will regret the decision that has been made by the referendum, not being able to study/work/live easily in mainland Europe similarly we will not benefit from mainland students being in the UK. I have discussed with family working in mainland Europe and they have told me that if we leave without a suitable agreement then the multinational companies will take their work away from the UK. This is not difficult and will occur for many high tech companies and financial groups.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Do you know why we didn't sign up in the first place ?
The UK and Republic of Ireland opted out. The UK wanted to maintain its own borders, and Dublin preferred to preserve its free movement arrangement with the UK - called the Common Travel Area - rather than join Schengen.

So to answer the OP I cannot see that having wanted to maintain its own borders originally ,& having voted to exit due to wanting to maintain its own borders ,it would join Schengen where it would have to let anyone in like it has been doing for the last God knows how many years.

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
It is young people that will regret the decision that has been made by the referendum, not being able to study/work/live easily in mainland Europe similarly we will not benefit from mainland students being in the UK.

Because no one has ever studied abroad before the EU :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back