Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I am going to give some thought to the whole "founder member" thing. I do not know how many we have it must be 30/40 or more, some of whom haven't even posted. The title was just given away to the first members that joined, initially as just a bit of a giggle. I quite like the term and it does reinforce the message that it is a members forum.

But...I do not know if it might put new members off joining or posting if they see this as a big "founder member clique" I know it isn't, and you guys know the same, I am just trying to get a handle of a newbies perception. So should we keep the founder member tags or choose something different to make it look a little more inviting say. We need to sort this before we open and maybe we can discuss it at the grand opening if we are sober for long enough::bigsmile:

Most forums have a simple grading system, based on number of posts, our vanilla out-of-the-box setting at the moment is 0 to 100 posts = member, 100-200 = senior member 200 plus life member. Ranks like reputation can can add some kudos to the advice we give or the stories we tell. But just the join date and number of posts can add kudos, and we already have a reputation system that seems to be working.

So questions to discuss, should we keep the founder member tag, if no what could we replace it with that was newbie friendly? What ranks should we adopt re member, senior life etc? Or should we bin it and just all be members?

Over to you guys..

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
That is a very interesting point Jim... Sometimes the titles thing can work against you as you say and sometimes people will just post rubbish stuff to up their post count and get a new title :RollEyes: I would like to think that we are above that, but if it came to a vote I would vote to remove the titles, all of us are equal anyway, and just leave the info as date joined and post count, which allied to the reputation system (which I still cannot work out ::bigsmile:) will give new members some idea of who they are communicating with. Just because someone has a recent join date and a low post count, does not make their input any less valuable in my opinion.
Just my thoughts.......

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Over to you guys..

Jim,

I reckon that it should be rated as follows:

0-9 posts = New Member
10 or more = Member

This may encourage new members to post to elevate themselves to the same status as all other members.

The kudos for being a long time member or a prolific poster is maintained as below the avatar is the members join data and number of posts.

The terms New Member and Member could be changed to some other 'schema' but the principle is the same.

This 'everyone is a member' tag may stop newbies feeling that there are cliques on here.

Bryan

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim,

This 'everyone is a member' tag may stop newbies feeling that there are cliques on here.

Bryan

That is my concern, so your vote is just for two levels, just new member and member and leave it there.?

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
That is my concern, so your vote is just for two levels, just new member and member and leave it there.?

Yes, two levels.

One level would work but two levels as I describe could encourage newbies to post to rid themselves of the 'New' from their title.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
:roflmto::roflmto: Bryan, I think you just talked yourself into another job matey :roflmto::roflmto:

Keith

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I would go for the two tiers, ie. New Members and Members because I think once you are a member you are equal to every other member.

You know, all members enjoying the same hobby/leisure activity - motorhoming and having fun!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think we will let this run a while so more members get to see it before we do anything, What do you think? Give it till the weekend?

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I don't mind what I'm called............as long as it aint too early in the morning! :roflmto:

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No

But there are? Which is nearly always the way with forums?

I mean, one only has to look at the "members list" to realise what goes on behind the scenes? Listing members under "A" for example shows..

"anominus" joined on 27th July and is a member. Yet "Artona" joined 4 days later and is a founder member?

Listing members under "B" shows..

"Boffin" joined on the 22nd July and is only a member. Yet "Blondi" who joined 4 days later gets Founder Member status?

And so it goes on?

The Notice Board originally stated the first few members who joined would be founder members. Yet that can't be true because some folk got "founder member" status who joined AFTER other folk who didn't?

It just depends on who you are you see.. clique brigade or not :)

There is also some bad wording around on posts which doesn't help to dissolve this member status rubbish. I.E...

Link Removed

The post opens with..

I propose that we have a get-together for us "Founder Members"

Like I pointed out to Kands via PM, that means I am not invited then because I am only a mere "member" ::bigsmile: (Can't make the meet anyway, but do you see my point).

I don't want to cause any hassle here, but I am just pointing out how it appears to the non cliques ordinary member types...... like me :winky:

If you create status (or ranks) on the forums, then you nearly always create a divide? Before your even up and running you will be doomed. Hardcore forum types (like me) nearly always browse the members list to see who is who as soon as you join? That way you know which members are joined in force and which are not.. if you follow :rofl:

Also, status on forums is defined by "ranks". You may like to remind yourself what that word means for a minute..

Rank;

–noun

1. a number of persons forming a separate class in a social hierarchy or in any graded body.

Not that it will matter, as I am just a mere nobody (member), but my own personal view is that you if really insist on using "ranks" on the forum, it is perhaps better when they relate to the amount of posts that any given user has made.

IE:-

0-10 New Member
10-100 Member
100-1000 Regular Member
1000+ Hard core self procliamed addicted forum freak ::bigsmile:

That way it usually encourages those hell bent on the "status" thing to post more often to gain a better rank :Smile:

Just my two penneth worth that's all?

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
I think Bryan has made a good suggestion and would agree with him :Smile:

Ken & Dawn.

You you have to keep it simple if not at all?

If you want to see how silly it looks on this forum, check this out..

Link Removed

29 pages of posts, 281 replies, and with the exception of my single post on the first page, there isn't a "member" in site. All "Founder Members", "Senior Members" or "Son of Founder Member". Incidentally, I'm not having a go, but I am curious as to why a special rank has been created for what I can see is one single user?

Cliques, you bet.. but that is the way of forums, always has been and always will be?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for this forum to work (which is why I'm ranting a bit), but in all honesty if you lot are going to create such a hierarchy here, one which has been witnessed and seen on "another" MH forum, then I may as well return to the one which has gazillions of members... follow me?

Nuke will have nowt to fear, cus this MHF will be flat on it's face from word go :frowny:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You you have to keep it simple if not at all?

If you want to see how silly it looks on this forum, check this out..

Link Removed

29 pages of posts, 281 replies, and with the exception of my single post on the first page, there isn't a "member" in site. All "Founder Members", "Senior Members" or "Son of Founder Member". Incidentally, I'm not having a go, but I am curious as to why a special rank has been created for what I can see is one single user?

Cliques, you bet.. but that is the way of forums, always has been and always will be?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for this forum to work (which is why I'm ranting a bit), but in all honesty if you lot are going to create such a hierarchy here, one which has been witnessed and seen on "another" MH forum, then I may as well return to the one which has gazillions of members... follow me?

Nuke will have nowt to fear, cus this MHF will be flat on it's face from word go :frowny:

Your quite right, no one likes a clique anywhere, least of all in a forum. The founder member thing was fun and productive in getting people here and creating a sense of ownership, whist we are creating the site, but anyone can see that it will certainly put divisions up, real or imaginary, and yes that will mean failure. This is the of course the reason for my initial post. You are echoing my feelings and I think most of the membership, that it would be folly to consider ranks. This is something that we need to get right from the off, because it will be very difficult to change things when we are open.

I don't pretend to be anything other that a keen motorhomer that wants to build a fun community, I am certainly not an expert, or an "internet entrepeneur" and a month ago had no idea about how to build a simple web page, let alone an intereactive site like the one we have beginning here. Membership experience, sign up, and retention in this domain are all new to me, but we have loads of experience on here I am relying on the membership to help me get it right. Unless people tell me what they think and give me the benefit of their experience then the learning curve is going to be steeper that it is already.

Those of you who know me are aware that, I am not easily offended, so critisism I take on the chin with a grateful smile. So please if you have something to say for the benefit of the site and the members, please let me know now so we can address it before we open.

Thanks Wiley for your direct comments, they are very much appreciated

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
if the rank thing is related to the amount of posts left then to me that is the fairest approach:Smile:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There you go, everyone has been promoted and has now become an official, bona fide, and most honorary "member" of the best motorhome forum on the web. Congratulations one and all :roflmto::roflmto:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When it comes to number of posts some have more home time than others by way of there work or circumstances.

In my case I am a carer so on the board a lot.

Trouble is where does this leave someone like me?

I couldn't care less about title but being here a lot while no doubt clock up my number of posts and people such as me who wheres there hearts on his sleeve will probably be known by others more by the way their posts content (be it good or bad)

Should I spend less time on this board to let others have a chance?

Should I restrict my postings? so not to intimate new members? is it just a number related board?

Everyone circumstances are different and some even just come here to read.

Seems to me you cant win but the board will only survive by it hard core of members whether its popular on not :winky:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When it comes to number of posts some have more home time than others by way of there work or circumstances.

Right here John, I am an avid fan of all your posts, so keep em coming :winky::roflmto:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Well done Jim for thinking this through. I think any organisation that has different titles of "rank" creates cliques easily and is therefore responsible for them.

Unfortunately in any society cliques create in abundance so what ever you do you will not stop them but at least by ditching all titles you won't be responsible for creating them ::bigsmile:

stew

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
i am absolutely fine with us all just being a bunch of members!

is the fairest way:winky:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User

I couldn't care less about title but being here a lot while no doubt clock up my number of posts and people such as me who wheres there hearts on his sleeve will probably be known by others more by the way their posts content (be it good or bad)

Should I spend less time on this board to let others have a chance?

Should I restrict my postings? so not to intimate new members? is it just a number related board?

Everyone circumstances are different and some even just come here to read.

Seems to me you cant win but the board will only survive by it hard core of members whether its popular on not :winky:

Don't you go anywhere John......every forum has its "characters" and many of us look fondly upon you as one of ours.

Whether we have titles or not, the amount we post is clear for all to see anyway.

The beauty of this forum is the fact that we are all equal, free to express our opinions and banter with one another without fear of reprisals or intimidation (from people with titles :winky: ) unlike other places I have been.

The atmosphere here is happy and welcoming - If I were looking in for the first time I'd be sure to stick around ::bigsmile: ....well I have haven't I? :roflmto: :roflmto:

From one happy Member ::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I didn't really mean to say I was going to go anywhere or do I wish/need a title but some members will always stick out for all sorts of reasons.

Some may hardly post but attend every rally.

Some will have the right answer for everything (Thank you JSW:winky:)

Some like me will live on the board.

Some will see no further than RV's (non names mentioned :roflmto:)

The list goes on.

But its the combination of all these people that will make a successful board.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I never really liked being a FLOUNDER MEMBER anyway :roflmto::roflmto:

Well done jim, this shows that real democracy certainly lives in the FREE world :roflmto:

Keith

PS I would just like to welcome the massive influx of MEMBERS suddenly appearing on this great site :roflmto:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hope you dont mind, i'm thinking of changing my user name to
The right Honerable and Reverand Sir Goe Senior flounder member maximus postus .:eek:
No, titles dont bother me
Geo

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back