melaware - a plea from the heart (1 Viewer)

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning everyone

In an effort to keep the weight of Helen down I have brought with me the melaware "crockery" which I inherited with her. I am not a fan of plastic cups etc and I have an emergency bone china mug with me just in case.

I have just been over to the evier to do my washing up and it is beginning to get to me. I am about 10 days into I am hoping 6 months. Enemy No 1, standing on assiette, is pictured below.

image.jpeg

The question is, how do I get the residual brown marks out of my tasse?

I enjoy strong "builders" tea, none of your faint hearted perfumed stuff and well it leaves a mark. I have been assiduous in trying to keep the things sparkling but to no avail. I have used one of those very fine sponge things and it is no good. Most aggravating is the spot in the middle of the bottom an annoying brown that simply will not budge.

What am I to do please?

If all else fails I am going to hide the other 3 in the boot and use one to death!

Thank you in anticipation

Clive:france:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Good morning everyone

In an effort to keep the weight of Helen down I have brought with me the melaware "crockery" which I inherited with her. I am not a fan of plastic cups etc and I have an emergency bone china mug with me just in case.

I have just been over to the evier to do my washing up and it is beginning to get to me. I am about 10 days into I am hoping 6 months. Enemy No 1, standing on assiette, is pictured below.

View attachment 161755

The question is, how do I get the residual brown marks out of my tasse?

I enjoy strong "builders" tea, none of your faint hearted perfumed stuff and well it leaves a mark. I have been assiduous in trying to keep the things sparkling but to no avail. I have used one of those very fine sponge things and it is no good. Most aggravating is the spot in the middle of the bottom an annoying brown that simply will not budge.

What am I to do please?

If all else fails I am going to hide the other 3 in the boot and use one to death!

Thank you in anticipation

Clive:france:
Soak in bleach

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
a very weak solution of bleach should bring them up clean, perhaps once a week ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We too like strong tea and have the same problem. Steeping in a Steradent solution overnight helps but to be honest we have not found anything that really works. Interestingly, the melamine crockery set that came with our new Auto Sleeper motorhome does not (so far at least) seem to suffer from the same problem.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,We used to use bleach back in the day, but now you can buy melamine cleaner or alternatively buy proper cups .:)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Milton tablets or liquid ...not sure what it's called in France though ...or you could use a weak bleach solution and wash it out well after a short soak

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Too late to help you now, but @JaG has some amazing stuff for just that

I guess we could post you some out if you are staying still long enough

comes in recycled ice cream tubs that you put a spoon or two in vessel then add water leave for a few minutes, result, like new :)(y)

we have had amazing success, also brought our kitchen sink up a treat, some fancy composite material that we couldn't get clean

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
BUY A PROPER MUG. !!! GO FOR IT.. (y)

Another vote here for the strong tea, I often leave the tea bag in the mug.. (y)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Too late to help you now, but @JaG has some amazing stuff for just that

I guess we could post you some out if you are staying still long enough

comes in recycled ice cream tubs sachets that you put a spoon or two in vessel then add water leave for a few minutes, result, like new :)(y)

we have had amazing success, also brought our kitchen sink up a treat, some fancy composite material that we couldn't get clean

Sounds like our sink! can you let me know the name of it and where I could get some please?

Malcolm

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
do you eat off and drink out of plastic crockery at home.. ?

yes.. wash with bleach.

No.. Bin it and buy Acropal glass plates, and bone china mug.. most French supermarkets stock it

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Sounds like our sink! can you let me know the name of it and where I could get some please?

Malcolm
I'm interested too. Save our sink! Even Bar-keepers-friend doesn't clean as well as it did.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I also use weak solution of bleach once a week ............... BUT ... I was told by someone who should know, that doing this is making the problem worse as it removes something off the surface and the stains will soak in even more quickly as time goes on.

I agree with RiverbankAnnie ..... it adds to the flavour ;) ... just be ready with the apologies if you have visitors to your van for a cuppa.

Talking of tea ..... I love a strong cup of tea and have always had Yorkshire tea, but the last year it seems to have gradually gone awful ... I asked at the Biker Cafe which tea they use .. good, strong cuppa .. and they said PUNJANA ... can be bought at Tesco and Morrisons. . and have to be honest am loving it..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I was told by a cleaning products supplier that bleach only makes it look clean by whitening the cups etc.

There are much better products on the market nowadays as has been said above.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Make sure the bleach you use is very very diluted. I bleached mine and it caused them to craze...

I now have a metal cup that is double skinned like a thermos flask to keep the drink warm (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Baking soda cleans crocks and melamine. Will be in the baking section of a supermarket. ( French translation on internet!!) barcobonate of soda .
I wouldn't use bleach for taste residue or damage to sink etc.

Treat yourself to a new set !! Cheap in supermarkets!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Malcolm

I'm interested too. Save our sink! Even Bar-keepers-friend doesn't clean as well as it did.

and me too.

Apologies to OP for slight hijack, but this potion will sort out your cups, can't tell you what it is, Jean and Graham @JaG sold us some at Wrenbury 2 years ago, we needed more and as he lives locally to us we popped down and got some more

I do know they spend more time away than home, so might not pick up this message for a bit, but I reckon this is your best option :)(y)

I will have a look at the instructions tonight see if it gives any clues as to what it is (y)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Lift cups, carry to bin, lift bin lid, place cups in bin.

Buy proper mugs.

Proper tea should never be supped from plastic.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I also use weak solution of bleach once a week ............... BUT ... I was told by someone who should know, that doing this is making the problem worse as it removes something off the surface and the stains will soak in even more quickly as time goes on.

I agree with RiverbankAnnie ..... it adds to the flavour ;) ... just be ready with the apologies if you have visitors to your van for a cuppa.

Talking of tea ..... I love a strong cup of tea and have always had Yorkshire tea, but the last year it seems to have gradually gone awful ... I asked at the Biker Cafe which tea they use .. good, strong cuppa .. and they said PUNJANA ... can be bought at Tesco and Morrisons. . and have to be honest am loving it..

Give Ringtons Traditional a try. We've used it for years and it's delivered to your door (or bought anywhere you see one of their vans). We haven't found anything that comes close:

https://www.ringtons.co.uk/?gclid=C..._uzO_bgTgi7IGBbFIxYtibUcWpKUIJM5H0aAlG78P8HAQ

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
pretend you're a rufty-tufty cowboy, use an enamel mug
(there are some gorgeous ones out there now, not just the blue-with-white-spots ones that I've got) - eg this one's a fiver from Halfords

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We use bicarbonate of soda, which seems to work

Never use anything abrasive, CIF is a bit on the heavy side

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Baking soda cleans crocks and melamine. Will be in the baking section of a supermarket. ( French translation on internet!!) barcobonate of soda .
I wouldn't use bleach for taste residue or damage to sink etc.

Treat yourself to a new set !! Cheap in supermarkets!
Bicarbonate de soude

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
When it's too bad we use one of those magic sponges available in the supermarket. Basically a very fine abrasive pad - works wonders on textured plastic around a motorhome too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back