Medication supplies whilst abroad (1 Viewer)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi all, our plan is hop over the pond in May until November, lots of planning as you would expect, but the sticking point so far is how we get our "fix" whilst away.
Caroline has to take Thyroxine every day, I have to take blood thinners, blood pressure and arrhythmia meds, but our surgery will only give 2 months prescription at one time.
We think our best bet is to get our daughter to collect it each month and post it to us, but post it where?
My thoughts so far is to give her the address of a campsite and park up there until it arrives, but that kind of kills off the footloose and fancy free angle, as we don't know how long it takes for post to reach Spain/France so could be stuck on a site day after day.
I believe you can do "post-restante" (is that spelt right?) in France but what about Spain or Portugal?
Our plan is to do the tour back to front, run down to Spain, then Portugal and head up in to France etc later on.
Any help, ideas or suggestions gladly welcomed.

Vic

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Cant you build up your supplies before next May , keep putting prescriptions in early . You can put in presciptions abroad but a lot of medications are cheaper over the counter in Spain

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My daughter needs to take 8-12 tablets a day. doctors would only give us 1 month in advance. We wanted to take a reserve with us for our long winter trip South. Lloyds tried to sell us the tablets at £8 EACH. The cheapest we could find in the UK was £2 each and that from a dodgy Internet dealer who we could not trust. In Portugal we have bought them in two different pharmacies for the same price of just €16.50 per 100.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
You can go into Spanish pharmacies and show them the empty box. They will usually sell you the medication at a reasonable price. If that doesn't work you can use your E111 card and ask for a doctor's appointment. They will give you a prescription and they don't have the same time having said that our GP gave us 3 months supply before we left when we explained our situation but we live in Scotland and they might have more freedom here. We have a reciprocal medical arrangement with Europe so don't be afraid to ask for a doctor's appointment. Most campsites will help you with that.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We are putting prescriptions in early to stockpile at the moment then will ask for three months in advance to give us a winter away.(y)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We are putting prescriptions in early to stockpile at the moment then will ask for three months in advance to give us a winter away.(y)
The latest repeat prescription software at our surgery prevents this. Even to the point where the doc can restrict items, like creams, to one every two or three months.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Are uk prescriptions valid in the EU? If they are, is it possible to get the prescription emailed from your practice to a nominated pharmacy/surgery once you are there?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Are uk prescriptions valid in the EU? If they are, is it possible to get the prescription emailed from your practice to a nominated pharmacy/surgery once you are there?
Hmmmm, well every time we pick ours up there is an order form inside the bag, I've got loads of them as I order over the phone. I wonder if that would do, it has my name and address on them as well as the doctors?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The latest repeat prescription software at our surgery prevents this. Even to the point where the doc can restrict items, like creams, to one every two or three months.
Bugger! Were putting ours in a week early every month. :(

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hmmmm, well every time we pick ours up there is an order form inside the bag, I've got loads of them as I order over the phone. I wonder if that would do, it has my name and address on them as well as the doctors?

Probably not as the list is not a prescription which the doctor has signed. I'd ask if your GP can do an online prescription to a surgery at your destinations.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Probably not as the list is not a prescription which the doctor has signed. I'd ask if your GP can do an online prescription to a surgery at your destinations.
Were ok as we can get three months plus the month or so of earlies so we will be fine.

Deleted User
My Doc will only give me 2 months at a time but I have managed to get a few months in advance by applying for repeats a little early, my son arranges for the prescriptions to be collected and I pick them up on our return visits.

In both Spain and Portugal I have bought the medications over the counter, I have always shown the repeat prescription, for the first time last week in Portugal the pharmacist actually took a copy.Never tried in France.

My medications are relatively cheap and common so not a problem but I would think the cost could be a major factor in some cases as could the type of drug, scheduled/dangerous.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Have you actually explained to your Doctor that you are going away on a trip? Our surgery has the same sort of rules (and computer based ordering system). Once we explained what we were planning they were happy to help us with a number of prescriptions.

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
I have been working away from home in Europe since 2007, I receive a 3 month prescription from my doctor and can order extra if there is a requirement.

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Have you actually explained to your Doctor that you are going away on a trip? Our surgery has the same sort of rules (and computer based ordering system). Once we explained what we were planning they were happy to help us with a number of prescriptions.
Yes Jenben, already tried that but was told flatly that if we were away for more than 3 months the surgery would strike us from their books and we would have to re-register on our return. Not sure they are allowed to do that but have booked appointment to find out.

I am supposed to take 6 different tablets a day, most of them twice a day so paying for them would be a cash drain, one of them is particularly expensive I am told.

Our surgery also has the new software that repeats on exactly the right day, so I am told.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Vic

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hi all, our plan is hop over the pond in May until November, lots of planning as you would expect, but the sticking point so far is how we get our "fix" whilst away.
Caroline has to take Thyroxine every day, I have to take blood thinners, blood pressure and arrhythmia meds, but our surgery will only give 2 months prescription at one time.
We think our best bet is to get our daughter to collect it each month and post it to us, but post it where?
My thoughts so far is to give her the address of a campsite and park up there until it arrives, but that kind of kills off the footloose and fancy free angle, as we don't know how long it takes for post to reach Spain/France so could be stuck on a site day after day.
I believe you can do "post-restante" (is that spelt right?) in France but what about Spain or Portugal?
Our plan is to do the tour back to front, run down to Spain, then Portugal and head up in to France etc later on.
Any help, ideas or suggestions gladly welcomed.

Vic
When we lived in Norfolk our doctor would give us 3 months up front without problem, he also printed of a detailed breakdown of what I take incase I needed to more whilst away.
If you are coming to Spain you can call into any private medical centre ( many are English run doctors ) and for a small fee they will write up a Spanish prescription so you can use it across the counter in the farmacia.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Our Doctor says he can only legally prescribe so much medication in one go, but knowing our situation we just make a few visits and he obliges without further to do! That enables us to build up supplies as well.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Blimey @Hymie, that sounds very harsh given you are just taking a holiday. Hopefully a face to face appointment will help you get this sorted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I only take pills for BP, normal prescription is 2 months, I put an online repeat prescription in 2 weeks earlier each time (by trial & error 2 weeks early is the cut off point for not being refused) this builds up a stock. Also our surgery is quite happy to give 3 - 4 months if they know you are going away.
Lost some pills once they were quite happy to give another prescription, you could accidentally loose a set, only be able to pull that stunt once.

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I am trying to build up a supply but as we are leaving early May and hoping to be away until November I doubt we could get a big enough stockpile, but it will ease the situation though.

Vic

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I am trying to build up a supply but as we are leaving early May and hoping to be away until November I doubt we could get a big enough stockpile, but it will ease the situation though.

Vic
Vic, please do not be tempted to buy pills on line as you never know what your getting. Try phoning round some private medical cover companies and see if they can cover your drugs whilst away. It would also be worth going on internet in the "Ex Pat" forums and see how they get round this as many here in Spain come across for the winter months from the UK and get by some how!!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Excuse , may be I'm very badly trained here in France , but..... why don't you take your prescription with you, and show it to a doctor in France .... you'll get 3 more months ... sorted! Unless you are not covered while away from the UK and have to pay....
MY doctor told me if I wanted to go away for more than 3 months , to send him a member of my family to have more and then get them sent to me.
If you could send me (by PM ...New conversation that is , not STATUS!!!)I could ask him if he would renew them for 3 months , and at least you would know what to expect!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
@yodeli do you know if I could buy type 2 diabetes medicines over the counter at a pharmacy in France if I just show them the boxes of medicine? Just wondering for emergency if for instance I lost some of my pills.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
doctors would only give us 1 month in advance
That's a bit naughty @Jim they are allowed to prescribe 56 days per prescription. I insisted on this as I pay so it halves my annual cost.
EDIT also if the renewal will occur while you are on holiday you can request an early issue of that repeat. I did this before going to Germany
image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Vic, please do not be tempted to buy pills on line as you never know what your getting. Try phoning round some private medical cover companies and see if they can cover your drugs whilst away. It would also be worth going on internet in the "Ex Pat" forums and see how they get round this as many here in Spain come across for the winter months from the UK and get by some how!!
Thanks John, apreciate the concern.

I would never buy drugs from the Internet, too many scary stories, as in the young girl who took days to die from a banned diet drug bought off the internet. What a hell of a way to go, and so young.

I have a list of the things I need to sort/understand/resolve before we go, hopefully for around 8/9 months, and this is the major item that needs answering.

I am sure I will have it sorted with plenty of time, this forum is a treasure of good hearted, informed, Resourceful people.

The best motor home forum in the world. (Definitely)

Vic.

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Excuse , may be I'm very badly trained here in France , but..... why don't you take your prescription with you, and show it to a doctor in France .... you'll get 3 more months ... sorted! Unless you are not covered while away from the UK and have to pay....
MY doctor told me if I wanted to go away for more than 3 months , to send him a member of my family to have more and then get them sent to me.
If you could send me (by PM ...New conversation that is , not STATUS!!!)I could ask him if he would renew them for 3 months , and at least you would know what to expect!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Hi Frankie, straight to the rescue, as always.

I will scan a repeat prescription in when I get home and PM you then if that's ok.

I hope JJ realises what a diamond he has in you, and that he rates you above his Fray Bentos Pies. :clap2::clap2:.

Vic

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's a bit naughty @Jim they are allowed to prescribe 56 days per prescription. I insisted on this as I pay so it halves my annual cost.
EDIT also if the renewal will occur while you are on holiday you can request an early issue of that repeat. I did this before going to Germany
View attachment 82351
When I had to pay I used Broken Link Removeddoesn't matter how many prescriptions you have a year, even covers antibiotics from the dentist.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When I had to pay I used Broken Link Removeddoesn't matter how many prescriptions you have a year, even covers antibiotics from the dentist.
I only have 2 items Lenny so no saving for me.
As I get 2 months supply at a time it effectively is only one item per month.
£98.40 opposed to £104

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back