Medication Fridge, anyone use one? (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
I need to find a 12v Medication fridge for whilst we are away in the van. The reasoning is that the Arthritis meds need to be kept between 2 and 8 degrees constantly, not always possible in our MoHo fridge.
I've found ones that will take two 146mm x 19mm diameter syringes, the only other one is a 12 litre one, way too big. I need to be able to pack 8 syringes.
Can anyone point me in the direction of something more suitable?
Thanks

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You could replace your main 3 way fridge with a compressor fridge. Not technically medical rated, but they are actually capable of holding a temperature reliably. It depends how much the medical rating is important.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Replacing the existing fridge isn’t going to happen and the others only go so far below ambient. I was hoping some else has cracked the medicinal cooling question already. Thanks anyway 👍🏻

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Can I ask why the current fridge is not suitable? For something as critical as medicine I would trust that more than a cheap plug in cool box type product, as reliant on remebering to plug in.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Dometic compressor fridge freezer they go down to -15 and they come in different sizes and work off 12v

You can set them to work as fridge only or just as a freezer

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Engle or Waeco portable fridges are used for this purpose.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Would it be worth putting your MH fridge on, then monitoring the temperature for a few weeks with a remote thermometer with max/min function, to see whether the temperature maintained in the fridge is between 2-8 C? That way, you’d know whether your cold chain can be maintained reliably. I would imagine that the 3-way fridge would be more than capable.

Even purpose-built vaccine fridges require the temperature to be logged by a remote thermometer, in case of cold-chain breaches, so they’re not the be-all-and-end-all.

I’m sure that the results will indicate that your 3-way fridge will be fine.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Can I ask why the current fridge is not suitable? For something as critical as medicine I would trust that more than a cheap plug in cool box type product, as reliant on remebering to plug in.
i would not trust our Dometic 3 way fridge with storing my bacon let along cold chain drugs :rofl:
get yourself one of these. you can set the temperature. we use one as an extra freezer and beer cooler - great piece of kit

1611570308115.png

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
i would not trust our Dometic 3 way fridge with storing my bacon let along cold chain drugs :rofl:
get yourself one of these. you can set the temperature. we use one as an extra freezer and beer cooler - great piece of kit

View attachment 459959
Personally I would trust a 3 way fridge far more than a 12v coolbox, flat battery/blown fuse/socket knocked and come loose and you lose power/cooling.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would start by modifying the 3 way fridge, by fitting 2 or 3 external fans with a controller and an internal fan. The internal fan helps even out the temperature inside the fridge and speeds up recovery time after the door has been opened.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Personally I would trust a 3 way fridge far more than a 12v coolbox, flat battery/blown fuse/socket knocked and come loose and you lose power/cooling.
your 3 way must be much better than ours then. as in the summer the temp in our fluctuates from +1 to +12... and thats with fans fitted

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my wife also has refrigerated injections for rheumatoid arthritis weve never had any problems using the three way her regime is weekly so weve had 12 in the fridge

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Hi Rolling Stones.
Sounds like we are in a similar predicament.
I’ve just recently started on Hyrimoz for RA. and was having the same thoughts about the fridge.
For now I have bought a min/max fridge thermometer and will monitor it on some shorter UK trips, once we can start using the van again.
I’m hoping the fridge In the van, a Dometic AES will prove to be ok.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Been keeping mine in motorhome fridges for years without a problem.
DP

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would start by modifying the 3 way fridge, by fitting 2 or 3 external fans with a controller and an internal fan. The internal fan helps even out the temperature inside the fridge and speeds up recovery time after the door has been opened.
As the above plus you could also add an internal polystyrene cool box,just big enough to keep your meds in,to prevent any fluctuations in temp when you open the door etc or switch between energy types.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I need to find a 12v Medication fridge for whilst we are away in the van. The reasoning is that the Arthritis meds need to be kept between 2 and 8 degrees constantly, not always possible in our MoHo fridge.
I've found ones that will take two 146mm x 19mm diameter syringes, the only other one is a 12 litre one, way too big. I need to be able to pack 8 syringes.
Can anyone point me in the direction of something more suitable?
Thanks
Great idea, I left my heart medication in one of those plastic day pill things, in the washroom in mohome in Spain, direct sunlight through the vent came back to a soggy soggy mess!!!
could buy most replacements at local pharmacy over the counter, but one tablet was horrible expensive so ended up cutting up the melted lump of tabs.... eeek

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can buy portable 'insulin' fridges but they ain't cheap, there are also some small portable ones on Ebay, again not cheap but being small wouldn't use too much battery power, no idea how good they are.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The dometic and waeco compressor fridges (eg ertil) are not coolboxes but serious electric fridges ( unlike motorhome 3 ways). Ertil ones will easily hold your requirements (+ -2C )but the smallest is 18l. They are not cheap dont expect much change from £400. The ertil i have runs off 12v or mains. They are quality items so cables do not fall out without extreme provacation eg a nuclear device.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back