Medical tests for C1 at 70 years old. (1 Viewer)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Hi everyone. Sorry to start a new thread on such a well covered topic such as this but I am short of one small piece of information. When I reach 70 (imminent ) I have to take a stress test on the treadmill as I have a heart problem. I know that they use the first 3 elements of something called the Bruce protocol, 1.7 m p h at 10% incline, 2.5 m p h at 12% incline and 3.4 m p h at 14% incline but can't seem to find info on period of time and whether the 3 are carried out on continuous basis.
If any one has been through this process I would be grateful if you could give some idea of timing and anything else you think might help. Getting into training at the moment and hope to survive long enough to do test and maybe get C1 renewed.
Many thanks.

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Hi don’t think your figures are quite correct but close, I did it 2 years ago and it is all in one a total of 9minutes. Regards Barrie

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I did it last year in September and my licence was renewed in November. They didn't stop me driving whilst the test results were carried out. I had my heart trouble whilst in the south of France. The surgeon stated no driving for 48 hours after hospital discharge. He also added the French don't do namby pamby.
Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Hi don’t think your figures are quite correct but close, I did it 2 years ago and it is all in one a total of 9minutes. Regards Barrie
My understanding is that changes have been made in recent times by our beloved DVLA and each element is for a specific time but they can't or won't give specifics, they say that is determined by the medics not them. The figures I quote are supplied by the NHS so I assume they are correct, my informant at the N H S tells me that 3 minutes per element is the norm quoted for athletics evaluation but that would be a total of 7 elements and 21 minutes. While this confirms your 9 minutes, for which many thanks, my cardiology dept tells me they " think" this is no longer the case. I will work on your 9 minutes for now, it can't be any worse.
Importantly are you able to say how you coped.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It certainly was 9 mins when I had to do it 18 months ago. It is a bit like medieval torture if you like me have leg and hip problems. The hospital staff were very helpful but the test is the test

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As you mentioned the DVLA, may I say how helpful their medical department proved to be in my own case, not heart related, when I was medically banned for 6 months. They kept in touch, sorted out my licence which ran out in my banned period and were generally supportive.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Continuous 9 minutes 3 x3 minutes increasing speed and incline.
Had my exercise ECG at beginning or September and new licence was granted beginning of October.
I nearly called it a day half way through the second 3 minutes but stuck at it although I really struggled on last 3 minutes.

OP
OP
J

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Continuous 9 minutes 3 x3 minutes increasing speed and incline.
Had my exercise ECG at beginning or September and new licence was granted beginning of October.
I nearly called it a day half way through the second 3 minutes but stuck at it although I really struggled on last 3 minutes.
Thank you for that, I hope the struggle was worth it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
9 minutes appears to be the standard time for an ECG treadmill test.
I had one a couple of years ago, not age/licence related though, and was told it lasted 9 minutes.....i managed just 3 minutes before it was stopped.
That test led to a triple heart bypass 14 months ago.
Today I could easily exceed 9 minutes.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
My husband did the test and failed on one reading resulting in having his licence revoked. It turned out the hospital had not administered the test correctly. We appealed and following more tests he has his licence reinstated. That is cutting a very long story short. The main point is that the hospital require you to stop taking your meds 48 hours before for a diagnostic test. The DVLA advise that you take your meds. So don't stop taking them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back