Medical Insurance. (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I sometimes use Travel Insurance, for the medical cover that's included and I declare all the medication I take which bumps up the price.
However, this has got me wandering what would happen if you missed one off, for example. How would the insurance company know if you had and how do they check your medical history to see if your being honest.
Also, if I was to declare all the medication I take and became ill and needed emergency treatment urgently, in a third world country not covered by the EHC would this present a problem getting approval from the Insurance company to proceed. I guess this would also apply for a RTA in a third world country.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
IMO if you omitted one, even if that one was not required, when taken ill, they would call "foul" your not covered.

How do they Know? good question, they must have an arrangement with NHS England, for which a small fee will be paid, just my suspicious mind.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
IMO if you omitted one, even if that one was not required, when taken ill, they would call "foul" your not covered.

How do they Know? good question, they must have an arrangement with NHS England, for which a small fee will be paid, just my suspicious mind.
Yes agree with the first bit but cant see NHS England releasing personal data to a third party, particularly outside of the E.U. (or even within the EU come to that!)
Also, do you think an Insurance company (IC) would prevent a hospital going ahead with an unauthorised emergency operation/treatment while they check ones medical background ?
I'd like to think not but do not have a clue as to how it works in practice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When I had a serious RTA (other driver at fault) I was asked to sign forms to allow both insurance companies access to my medical data. I was told that if I did not my own company would not pursue my case and the other insurance company would decline the claim unless it went to court. I don't know how true that is / was (the threats) but I signed anyway.

For minor claims I don't think they would get medical notes but for the more serious claims I'm pretty sure they would.

A hospital (except possibly in the USA) would not delay treatment in an emergency situation pending insurance agreement (according to my medical friends) but you may end up with a hefty invoice should the insurance company decline to pay.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Do you not agree to the IC having access to your medical records when you sign up? I should imagine most true emergencies would be dealt with by the local medical system regardless of insurance cover, on going care and repatriation could be a different matter if you've not been honest on your application. And, a big bill to pay yourself for the emergency care not covered.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'm fairly certain that if the insurance company decides that you have not fully disclosed any pre-existing conditions they will not cover you and will pursue you for any costs your treatment may have incurred while on holiday.
They will have access to your GP records in the event of a claim. You then have the right to take this to the financial ombudsman.
Look at 105/7 here:
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/105/105-travel-insurance.html#cs7

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
FIL became fatally Ill in Spain. 10 yrs ago. Feeling unwell on santander ferry, ships doctor told him it was chest infection and gave him antibiotics. He got to benicassim and didnt get better so went to hospital. He had had his check up at his own Dr's few weeks before. MIL put everything on insurance, diabetes, etc. Co-op insurance (brilliant) applied to his doctor for his medical history which came through via fax to hospital So everything was checked. Unfortunately he passed away, needed a bypass but was too ill. He was repatriated, motorhome collected from site and returned home. Nothing too much trouble for co-op. So glad she filled in every detail.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That was a very sad but informative answer @parknride

I had an uncle who died in Spain in the 1970s ..... so glad the insurance was sorted and correct and they did everything.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
@Puddleduck There were a lot of what ifs, what if he'd stayed on the boat and returned home, what if hed gone to the clinic earlier, what if we ignored the local hospital and said take the risk to transfer him to Valencia for the op, etc etc. He was extremely well looked after in the local hospital for going on 2 weeks I think. So sad when we went for our visiting gowns one day and they weren't there. A lesson to us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back