Medical at 70 to keep my C1 licence (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s the Short Weekends that do us, where we are having to be careful how much we put in. For longer periods or Rallies we toad the Punto, and use it to carry the Weighty Stuff. Like Mobility scooter, barbecues, Genny, Safari room/fittings carpets (kitchen sink!) etc;

Pete

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's not just about CURRENT medical conditions, but also PAST.
Farcical. Do they not believe their own records??? :confused:

Which 'own records' do you imagine they are, then? - they don't KEEP any records ! - that's why you got the situation where Police motor cycle instructors have had to take their motorbike tests again when they handed their papare licence in, because believe it or not, they say you have to provide a pink slip to prove you passed or a sworn affidavit from the bloke who tested you!

It is exactly the same with medical records - they only keep the ones they are working on, now.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Applied for renewal June 2 been advised I have met the criteria and my C1 is being issued, still waiting,5 months the DVLA is not fit for purpose.
@Littlewheels When does your C1 run out, I only ask this because mine runs out early 2017 and I wonder when to set the wheels in motion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Which 'own records' do you imagine they are, then? - they don't KEEP any records ! - that's why you got the situation where Police motor cycle instructors have had to take their motorbike tests again when they handed their papare licence in, because believe it or not, they say you have to provide a pink slip to prove you passed or a sworn affidavit from the bloke who tested you!

It is exactly the same with medical records - they only keep the ones they are working on, now.

For which reason, I have every Licence and lots of other doc`s, Including the "little red book" scanned and archived on my computer. I can reproduce them any-time AND ALWAYS sent stuff to DVLA and other Govt; dept by registered or recorded delivery!!

NEVER trust Civil Servants!!

Pete

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Y
@Littlewheels When does your C1 run out, I only ask this because mine runs out early 2017 and I wonder when to set the wheels in motion.
You get a notice D47P about 56 days before your licence expires from DVLA. To keep C1 you also need the Forms D2 (Application for a Lorry, bus or minibus driving licence) and D4 (medical examination report for a Group 2 (lorry or bus) licence). You can get these from DVLA at any time in advance (I have just got mine for renewal in May next year). Broken Link Removed You need to send all 3 forms in by post. You cannot renew C1 online unlike a car licence.

If you apply to soon, DVLA may date your licence from the date they received the application, rather than your licence renewal date. This happened to Joan (as we would be abroad at the time) and we had to send everything back to them (when we returned) to get it put right which took longer than the original to process.

CDG

Free Member
Jun 7, 2014
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo t740
Exp
Since 2014
Just gone through this.
Doctor wanted £130,
Contacted www.driversmedicals.com
£58 They do them all over the country, often in Truck Stops, usually there for the day.
Took 20 mins, posted form and application to Swansea, took about 2 weeks.
Now got my C1 on my ticket, had let mine lapse when I turned 70.
75 at Christmas, very easy and straight forward.
David

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
AND ALWAYS sent stuff to DVLA and other Govt; dept by registered or recorded delivery!!

Pete
No, quite right. You are fortunate then that you have neverhad the " but when we opened the recorded/registered envelope,............................................. there was nothing in it " :sneaky:
Chap on a car forum who deals with them on a near daily basis gets a courier firm to take all his stuff & they video the whole process from start to finish .From identifying each & every document in the envelope to the handover & courier reopens.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I applied on 4 th August, 3 months ahead of expiry date. No problem with either medical or eye test, I know the DVLA received the forms, but I am still waiting. I have phoned, written and pleaded as I need it for Spain.

It seems there are ( to quote the lady on the phone ) " hundreds of thousands" of applications waiting. Each one has to be scanned before it can be dealt with but they sit in a heap before scanning. Finally they have agreed to deal with it as an emergency but I am still waiting and my BP has gone up immeasurably.

The medical cost £65 from my own GP and I had the eye test, free, done by Specsavers at the same time as my regular one. My GP would have done that too but I didn't know.

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Austerity = staff cuts = time delay = unhappy campers o_O

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
For which reason, I have every Licence and lots of other doc`s, Including the "little red book" scanned and archived on my computer. I can reproduce them any-time AND ALWAYS sent stuff to DVLA and other Govt; dept by registered or recorded delivery!!

Pete

Oh I don't know.. 26 of their top level lawyers told Blair the Iraq war illegal and he still called it!:( So not all bad. Sorry couldn't help myself:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Austerity = staff cuts = time delay = unhappy campers o_O
More like incompetence than austerity. They have been renowned for their incompetence long before "austerity" came in. Needs a bloody good shake up from top to bottom, so that the good employees (and I am sure there are lots) can thrive, but it will never happen.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
More like incompetence than austerity. They have been renowned for their incompetence long before "austerity" came in. Needs a bloody good shake up from top to bottom, so that the good employees (and I am sure there are lots) can thrive, but it will never happen.
I'm sure that's true; but keep reducing staff numbers (in any area) and service quality & responsiveness are bound to suffer :(

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
What really made me cross was that, on their website, reached by a link from their phone line to the gov.uk / DVLA wrbsite, was my licence, details correct and renewed until 2018.

This appeared a shortish time after I applied. I asked if I could copy this for car rental etc purposes but the person on the phone denied it was there. Recently I sent a screen shot and then mentioned it to the lady on the phone next day who said I must have used a copy cat site as it was not there. Guess what ? Next day it wasn't there !

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I applied 3 weeks before my 70th birthday on the understanding they date the license from the application date. They asked me to provide a passport size photo despite the application form stating I needn't provide one if my passport was upto date as they could obtain it from the passport office.

Every time they ask for something you go back to the bottom of the pile and nothing happens for six weeks.

They will provide a letter to saying you can drive but how would that work in Europe? It wouldn't.

Phoning is a waste of time as they have no compassion they have no concept of it seriously affecting your lifestyle or income as many people still work beyond 70.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I applied 3 weeks before my 70th birthday on the understanding they date the license from the application date. They asked me to provide a passport size photo despite the application form stating I needn't provide one if my passport was upto date as they could obtain it from the passport office.

Every time they ask for something you go back to the bottom of the pile and nothing happens for six weeks.

They will provide a letter to saying you can drive but how would that work in Europe? It wouldn't.

Phoning is a waste of time as they have no compassion they have no concept of it seriously affecting your lifestyle or income as many people still work beyond 70.
i had to go away with a letter in 201 it does cover uk and all europe . i did phone around and it was accepted all over europe .they can check up on your licence through computers so are happy . but if you need to go abroad ring the embassies just to check. its daft but it delayed my new licence till the next year then when they added the new licence mine now runs out when i,m 61 not 60 as i would have originally so i won a year.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What is the way other countries deal with motorhome and medicals, I can see the reason for commercial drivers who drive for a living but why on your birthday do you suddenly become a menace, all for an additional etc380kgs of water fuel and tins of food. Do the Germans for instance all throw away their Duomobile on their birthday because it became too heavy and get a baby van? Do other countries demand a medical? I am worried as there is no way I can go for a Bruce protocol 15 ECG, I couldn't do it when I was much younger and will not be able to do it now. I am also fit and healthy at the moment. I want to buy a NEW van but the ones I want all seem to be too heavy and have little or no payload at 3500kg so require 3860kg. This would be alright for three years then I lose it or downplate and risk it being too heavy on a check. I really would like to know what the other countries do for medicals and licence classification, what about Ireland.? If you did need a licence to earn a living , with the caring government we have, are you making yourself purposely unemployed, as many people do not get a full pension thing might be harder.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most countries in the eu never had the right to drive over 3,500kg gvw when just passing the car test.
germany did but they also lost it when we did .
i cant say what happens at 70 with them i havent asked my german friends but it has been on my mind just lately . i,m told they actually didnt have the c1+e restriction to 8,250kg trainweight but had the full c1+e at 12 ton .
i do go on about fifth wheelers but b+e can give a good train weight if you have the right tow vehicle .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Small Miracle of administration SWMBO. got her Renewed "Blue Badge" back 4DAYS after applying!!. HALLELUJAH, praise the lord (and pass the ammunition!!)

Serious matter, as She has 4 Hospital Appointments over the next 2 weeks!!. And getting her in and out of the Motor in the "normal" (narrow) spaces is a nightmare!. I have to park in the ambulance bay, Get her into the wheel chair, or onto the scooter. see her inside the building, And THEN go find a space!!. The badge means we can use the Much Wider and closer Disabled spaces!.:):):):)

Peter

Reactions: CWH
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The letter is issued under ,I think, section 18.
During the nine months it took them to renew my licence I was refused a courtesy car from a main dealer because I had no licence for them to check.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I am in the middle of all this trying to get my HGV entitlement back. I got a deal through the dole office (unemployed at the mo) with a medical and CPC. Not my doctor but hey ho. BIG mistake! Now in the middle of a verbal and post war with them. I paid £17.00 to update my picture licence as the one used was taken when I was twelve I think, this was cashed on 6th Sept and I rang a month later and was told it takes up to ten weeks. The next day I got a thirteen page form to fill in. A week later I rang to ask what was happening and was told the forms had only arrived the day before, I pointed out that they probably opened it the day before. I demanded they send my licence back as I was drawing dole and couldn't get any work without three forms of ID, licence, passport, birth cirt. I pointed out that all my bills are online and I didn't have any other proof. Original licence arrived two days later as did another thirteen page document at my doctors with yet another ten week delay, pissed off, what me? You bet I am.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

I just got an Email from DVLA (Drivers) to the effect that the paperwork for me to fill in is "in the post". So now I suppose I should look to book a Medical. (just had the "Annual old farts MOT" ) but they wont accept that!!. Plonkers!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back