Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Evening all,
Is there a rule of thumb regarding length of wind out awning relative to length of van or do the manufacturers advise ? or is it your choice (dependant on what) ?

Your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Its your choice depending on the length that your van will allow.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Length is often limited by a change in section or a moulding on the van body. You need a flat area at the height you've chosen for the full length of the awning. Minimum height is set by whether the awning arms will clear an open hab door. In general a longer awning is better than a short one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Also worth considering where the awning will end. Could it potentially impede window, garage door or gas locker opening?

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Also worth considering where the awning will end. Could it potentially impede window, garage door or gas locker opening?
Shouldn't be a problem for a wind-out awning unless something like a Safari room is fitted to it. @Jim lea I notice you have an awning shown on your avatar, are you replacing it?

OP
OP
Jim lea

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Shouldn't be a problem for a wind-out awning unless something like a Safari room is fitted
your avatar, are you replacing it?

Sold that one recently, just
Shouldn't be a problem for a wind-out awning unless something like a Safari room is fitted to it. @Jim lea I notice you have an awning shown on your avatar, are you replacing it?

Thanks @vin0114, Have recently sold that one. Just specking up the new van, hence the request

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had a 7 metre awning on my last van i only used it twice as it was a bit of a challenge putting it out and in on my own might be something to also consider if you don't have someone to support other end till you drop legs

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
I had a 7 metre awning on my last van i only used it twice as it was a bit of a challenge putting it out and in on my own might be something to also consider if you don't have someone to support other end till you drop legs
That's a helluva long awning!!! no wonder it was a struggle on your own.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any length should be OK simply wound out until you can reach the front rail to drop the legs for support whilst the rest is wound out. Provided the correct number of wall fixings have been installed letting it cantilever until you can reach it is OK.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Any length should be OK simply wound out until you can reach the front rail to drop the legs for support whilst the rest is wound out. Provided the correct number of wall fixings have been installed letting it cantilever until you can reach it is OK.
that's okay for one guy to handle unless a breeze comes up!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's a helluva long awning!!! no wonder it was a struggle on your own.
Aye it was a joke ....had to wind it out about 1.5 metre before I could reach the legs to take the weight

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
That's a different kettle of fish :). Been there, done that.
Happened to us at withernsea many years back. Even with two of us the wind suddenly came up from nowhere and lifted Jo off the ground so great damage was avoided(y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Bare in mind bigger isnt always best.
You can put out a 3 meter awning will withstand weather better than a 5 meter. It also weighs less and costs less and is easier to handle.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As Tonyidle says, it should be possible to 'walk ' out or in the drop down legs.
Another use for the awning is to protect the 'fridge from sunlight when only a small projection with no legs may be called for.
The reason for putting the legs down at a half way point, is to avoid damaging the mountings on the van. I would have though that, depending how far you wind it out, even a small person could reach the legs before causing damage.
Putting the awning away, I agree can be problematical. "Put the awning away, its getting too windy!" The first part of which may mean the awning is at full stretch and you have to release the tie down straps. We usually do this together, with one holding the centre down when the straps are gone (an exciting moment), while the other winds frantically. For some design reasons I invariably wind the wrong way to begin with before reaching the point for folding up the legs.
Once safely stowed away..... the wind drops!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
As Tonyidle says, it should be possible to 'walk ' out or in the drop down legs.
Another use for the awning is to protect the 'fridge from sunlight when only a small projection with no legs may be called for.
The reason for putting the legs down at a half way point, is to avoid damaging the mountings on the van. I would have though that, depending how far you wind it out, even a small person could reach the legs before causing damage.
Putting the awning away, I agree can be problematical. "Put the awning away, its getting too windy!" The first part of which may mean the awning is at full stretch and you have to release the tie down straps. We usually do this together, with one holding the centre down when the straps are gone (an exciting moment), while the other winds frantically. For some design reasons I invariably wind the wrong way to begin with before reaching the point for folding up the legs.
Once safely stowed away..... the wind drops!
The OP's problem is that he is on his own.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The OP's problem is that he is on his own.
I do it on my own. Wind it out far enough to reach the legs. Extend them and angle the bottoms away from the van. Wind out until they're at a silly angle. Move them away from the van. Repeat. Then straighten everything up. Takes longer to describe it than do it. To put it way when windy keep the storm straps on. Loosen them off a small amount, wind in until they stop you. Repeat. Stow legs. Repeat storm straps loosening. Wind in. Repeat.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
I do it on my own. Wind it out far enough to reach the legs. Extend them and angle the bottoms away from the van. Wind out until they're at a silly angle. Move them away from the van. Repeat. Then straighten everything up. Takes longer to describe it than do it. To put it way when windy keep the storm straps on. Loosen them off a small amount, wind in until they stop you. Repeat. Stow legs. Repeat storm straps loosening. Wind in. Repeat.
That's one way round it but still scary in wind getting it back in:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back