Measuring AC amps being drawn from hookup (1 Viewer)

ironduck

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
Happy New Year everyone!

I'm a new full-timer in a new motorhome. (I did have to sell my house) so I tend to use electric heating when on sites. When temperatures are close to zero, it needs to be Elec2 (7 amps)

Many sites are limited to 10 amp hookup supplies, and campers are warned that exceeding this current can result in tripping power not just for my own hookup but for others nearby. My 1800 watt Truma heater (7 amps) plus other AC powered devices like my fridge freezer take me close to the 10A limit, but I'm not sure how close

Not a good plan.

At home, I had an OWL power meter which detected the mains current flow using a clamp on one side of the electrical pigtails coming from the meter. My motorhome has a MCB / RCD box inside the wardrobe where the electric power comes in. However I can't isolate one polarity as the cable has both within one sheath and I can't go fiddling around too much without messing up the warranty.

Has anyone come across any gizmos designed for campervans which give you easy visibility of the AC current actually being drawn at any time?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you have Alde heating, buy their load monitor (£40 ish) and you will het heating load control and a read out of EHU draw. If you don't, ignore. Alternatively get a Victron inverter charger with digital control, dial up the EHU post breaker limit and it will not exceed this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK going on a different tack
You are on a 10 amp hook up and I take it you KNOW what everything in your m/h pulls as to amps

is there other power you can use for some of the other services - Solar via battery for lighting , Gas for fridge

I got used to it using French 6amp sites but our heater gave us the flexibility of 500w / 1000w / 2000w with blown air operating of 12v from solar
is there any way you can alter yours

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When away for winter we use the fridge on gas all the time.. It uses about 4 units a day on its own, so to run on leccy is expensive compared to gas
Also only use gas heating for the same reason ( and of course cooking )
One refill lasts about 3 weeks on average ( last year that was 17 € )

OP
OP
ironduck

ironduck

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
Thanks everyone. The trick is learning the right words to google.

Reich Fuse Control from Grove Products will do the job

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Yes, an OWL type gauge meter gauge thingy.:rofl:

Here is the Britsh Gas type one I fitted in our motorhome.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I installed one of these in our last caravan to stop the missus tripping bollards Link Removed
you just need to pass the mains input cable through the induction loop and connect the live and neutral up on the gauge, I did it through a switch so it could be turned off at night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back