Meandering in France with no clear destination.... (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hi Simon, Dirk is here, but unfortunately Marlene passed away on the 16th April this year.
Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that. They both made our stay at Twin Lakes a couple of years ago a real pleasure. Delightful company. Please pass on our condolences.

but he said he is here at Twin Lakes because this is where they were both very happy.
Yes, I know how much they liked it. That's why I was fairly sure they would there again this year. I hope Dirk is finding the happy memories are outweighing the sadness he must feel for the times they enjoyed together there.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bugger:p
IMG_3412.JPG

Did you see the wall with a row of push button taps dispensing holy water? It was right next to the 'Avenue of Extreme Heat' where all the candles were burning.....

Well Funster Friends, we are sitting in the shade here at Twin Lakes, just building up the energy to cycle to the supermarket to stock up on 'essentials', then it's back to the lake for an afternoon of fishing (him) snoozing (me).

We cycled there yesterday, and it was packed! Apparently yesterday was Ascension Day and a public holiday - they are a bit behind us Brits,and haven't worked out that you have to stock up on a years supply of provisions the day BEFORE a one day holiday, so weirdly, they spent the morning of the public holiday stocking up on a years supply of provisions when the shop is open as normal today.... Perhaps @yodeli Frankie can enlighten us....

Sorry the thread is so thin on updates, but I don't subscribe to the current trend of issuing fake news in the absence of any real news, and I think we are here until next Tuesday, so it could be quiet for a few days yet.....

Hope the sun is shining where you all are. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hope you are both having a lovely rest, it's absolutely boiling here.
Martin says don't forget the French tanker drivers are on strike next week so fill up when you can.

Can't we at least have a picture of the lake?

Lots of love xx

P.s I think your lack of reporting is due to us not being with you causing calamities...what no funerals to crash?;)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
View attachment 164996

Did you see the wall with a row of push button taps dispensing holy water? It was right next to the 'Avenue of Extreme Heat' where all the candles were burning.....

Well Funster Friends, we are sitting in the shade here at Twin Lakes, just building up the energy to cycle to the supermarket to stock up on 'essentials', then it's back to the lake for an afternoon of fishing (him) snoozing (me).

We cycled there yesterday, and it was packed! Apparently yesterday was Ascension Day and a public holiday - they are a bit behind us Brits,and haven't worked out that you have to stock up on a years supply of provisions the day BEFORE a one day holiday, so weirdly, they spent the morning of the public holiday stocking up on a years supply of provisions when the shop is open as normal today.... Perhaps @yodeli Frankie can enlighten us....

Sorry the thread is so thin on updates, but I don't subscribe to the current trend of issuing fake news in the absence of any real news, and I think we are here until next Tuesday, so it could be quiet for a few days yet.....

Love that Lourdes tat/treasures!!so carefully wrapped against breakages!!
Enjoy your fishing!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Very funny! Yes thursday is Ascension but a lot of people go away for 4 days or have guests for 4 days, hence the stocking up. Most people couldn t do the shopping on tuesday since they were working. We do "the bridge" w xall it. There s only friday in the way thursday off and weekend off so we cross over friday. Does it make sense?

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hope you are both having a lovely rest, it's absolutely boiling here.
Martin says don't forget the French tanker drivers are on strike next week so fill up when you can.

Can't we at least have a picture of the lake?

Lots of love xx

P.s I think your lack of reporting is due to us not being with you causing calamities...what no funerals to crash?;)

Thanks for the heads up on the strike - we are here until Tuesday and have a full tank so we should be OK. I forgot to tell you, We've had our annual 'French puncture' this holiday - on the way back from Angers, Clifton had to push the bike for the last half mile! He's replaced the inner tube with one filled with slime, so he's sure that will be his last French puncture........

IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3415.JPG

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Very funny! Yes thursday is Ascension but a lot of people go away for 4 days or have guests for 4 days, hence the stocking up. Most people couldn t do the shopping on tuesday since they were working. We do "the bridge" w xall it. There s only friday in the way thursday off and weekend off so we cross over friday. Does it make sense?
As clear as mud!!! But very sensible!!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014

If you go fishing, wait until an hour before the sun goes down and fish until you can only just still see your float. This is the magic time when even lakes or rivers that seem to have no fish in them come alive. I have proven this three or four times already on my current French trip when I have fished all day from early morning without a nibble but caught some lovely fish as the sun disappeared. It's really annoying when you have to stop fishing when you are catching but a) it's dangerous in the dark, b) you have to eat your tea sometime and c) French regulations say you have to stop half an hour after sunset. Good luck, and catch some of those Twin Lake Tench!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

Makes perfect sense now you've explained it Frankie. Also Garry (Twin Lakes owner) explained that whichever 'day' it is its celebrated on the 'actual' date, i.e. Whereas in Britain Remembrance Sunday is held on the closest day to 11.11, the French honour the actual 11.11 whatever day of the week it is.

Just got back to the van - Clifton caught a 10lb 4oz carp and it only cost him half a baguette! It was so heavy it snapped the landing net handle, so we are cycling up to the fishing shop in the morning to replace it!

The fish were actually feeding off bread all around his hook, you could see them laughing at him! When he caught this one, the look on its face said 'oh well, I'm off out of the water for five minutes, to be weighed and have a selfie taken, and home in time for a little afternoon nap, and at least he's fed me half a baguette for my trouble ....'.

The pre 'catch' munch:
IMG_1612.JPG

@movan Joy, a photo of the catch specially for you ......
IMG_1623.PNG

And for everyone else ....

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
OMG that's massive :eek: no wonder he's smiling (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow agree Geri... he IS quite a catch.. phwoar. Oh you mean the fish , not Cliff. ;)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Clifton fed the fish today - half a baguette was eaten by two huge carp who managed to take the bread off the hook in full view of the man I'm sure they've come to affectionately know as 'L'homme du pain' ! :rofl:

I on the other hand went with sweet corn and bagged two!

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

Ok, I was going after tench, but managed to catch two carp who were obviously sick of bread and fancied a change - but a catch is a catch!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Three for him today - and they were all under 9lb so didn't deserve a photo! I didn't catch any (must admit my book had just got interesting, so my bait secretely wallowed in the shallows for an hour)!

We are moving on tomorrow - don't tell @Mousy but we've booked pitch 211....... When she reads this she'll tell you where we're heading....

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Kitty's strapped down for now, but ready to be ridden when we get there. ;)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Is it the isle de Re?! Love it for cycling ! Kitty the surfer board!!! Eat your heart out Aussie dudes!!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Correct - give that girl a huitre! We're stopping off tonight at the P+R at La Rochelle, before rocking up to Pitch 211 tomorrow!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi @cliffandger ,
Which c/site is that , as we might go back to Re , this year or next if not.
Terry
Hi Terry. The site is ACSI site no. 1645 (page 159) Campeole Les Amis de la Plage. And the pitches are 211, 212 and 213. Closest to the gate that leads to the beach. Photos to follow tomorrow or you can read last year's thread,

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ile-be-seeing-you-a-little-re-of-sunshine.137115/ to read up on all the sites we visited!

We said goodbye to Garry at Twin Lakes this morning, but they're all gearing up for the MHF Shindig in September and @JaG Ronald and Dirk can't wait to continue the discussions on Brexit!

I'm sure I saw two carp, all misty eyed and hungrily looking at 'L'homme du Pain' as we drove off the site! :rofl:

Just returned from a walk around La Rochelle. We lasted visited in 2013, and I have to say, I don't need to visit it again. I don't remember seeing so many beggars and dossers last time we were there, and now sitting in the van in the P+R and listening to dogs continually barking, and people shouting SEELONCE!!!!, we don't need to use this site again! Still, we have a satellite signal so Radio 2 is drowning everything out!

The Ile de Re tomorrow, so sun, sea, sand and Huitres and all will be right with the world again! :)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
and now sitting in the van in the P+R and listening to dogs continually barking, and people shouting SEELONCE!!!!, we don't need to use this site again!
When we stayed there last year on the way to Twin Lakes the service area was bloody madness in the morning with vans trying to get on the point from all directions, we eventually gave up and moved on.
We will be heading over for a month after the Stratford meet with no plans, and destinations decided by the weather and maybe the route of 'Le Tour'.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Cheers
Ed & Shirley

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Kitty's strapped down for now, but ready to be ridden when we get there. ;)
Now, if anyone were to read that post out of context...... :whistle: :rolleyes:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Try isle D'Oleron. Great for cycling....and the seafood........mmmmmmmmmmm drooling!

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back