Me fridge aint workin on 12v!! (1 Viewer)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I'v checked the fuse in the habitation fuse box Ok! and every thing else works!?? Is there another fuse on the Van side(Ducato 2007). Not that I need it as its bloody freezing here!!:(

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
More info required before we can give any helpful advice, what make and model of fridge is it for a start? You do know the 12 volt side should only operate when the engine is running don't you?

D.

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Hi Dave, Its a Dometic RM 7651L int light works on all options, apparently it will function without the engine running with battery reasonably charged.
Is there a fuse on the alternator/van side? the fuses on the hab batteries seem OK

Split charge relay not working.
Should have its own inline fuse near battery.

pappajohn Does the split charger also charge the hab batteries? because they seem to charge OK but I do have solar, and normally LOTS of Sun:)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
How do you know its not working though? The split charge relay doesn't do anything for the fridge directly it simply allows the leisure batteries to charge from the alternator when the engine is running. On earlier vehicles the split charge relay was often fed from the same fused trigger supply as the fridge relay. On a 2007 Ducato its done differently because of the CanBus wiring. What motorhome is it?

The 12 volt will take around 10 amps so even a fully charged battery won't run it for long. Its unusual for them to be wired to run on 12 volt without the engine running although some converters do wire them this way. Try it with the engine running.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Iv Had it running, with the other options-gas-Hu the relevant indication lights turn Green even with auto mode! but when I switch to 12v it stays Red, and I'v got some ice cream that looks more like milkshake:cool:

Its an "elnagh"that probably won't help you much as you might not have even heard of it!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Of course I've heard of Elnagh. There is probably a fuse somewhere that's failed. Run it on gas or EHU while you're stationary until you can get it fixed. The 12 volt option should really only be used whilst driving so if you need to make journeys get it as cold as you can on EHU/gas first and unless you really have to drive for hours and hours it should stay cold enough.

D.

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Yeah looks like I'll have to do that. One last possible clue, when I'm on EHU whilst at home and not much sun (like the last couple of weeks) the main Van battery doesn't seem to be getting any charge, I was under the impression the Ehu would charge this battery. I was going to fit a BtoB system for non Ehu situations any way. Thanks any way to all who replied, and have a good Christmas:xThumb:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sounds the same as ours, the hookup won't charge the engine battery, and a BtoB won't help either. You need a battery master - which once hab batteries are charged diverts power to the engine battery. We've got both and with the solar panel we're sorted.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Iv Had it running, with the other options-gas-Hu the relevant indication lights turn Green even with auto mode! but when I switch to 12v it stays Red, and I'v got some ice cream that looks more like milkshake:cool:

Its an "elnagh"that probably won't help you much as you might not have even heard of it!
Just to clarify, you have had the van running or thr fridge running ?
The 12v side of the fridge will not do anything unless the van is running :)

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
My Daughter drove the Van home from Narbonne 3.1/2 hrs with fridge on 12v with Ice-cream an some other stuff in the freezer, she had been on EHU over the week end, and switched to 12v just before she left. It said somewhere in my "Italian"Manuel that when on Manual it stays on 12v for about 15/20 mins before it automatically clicks over to gas ( for fueling up in service stations.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nearly..
OK, full run down if you have an automatic 3 way system.
Switched to auto:
As soon as you go on UHU the fridge goes on 220v
When you come off of it it should switch to gas
Until.
You either go back on hook up OR start the engine at which time is should switch to 12v

As soon as the engine is turned off the 12v system will stop immediately.
The gas will not fire up for ( on average ) 10 minutes
The reason being it might prove unhealthy if you stop for petrol and the gas system fires up using the ignition spark

But..
The moment you start the engine the gas shuts off immediately and the fridge should start working on 12v straight away

If any of that lot does not happen then there is a problem.
90% of all the 12v issues are pretty easy to sort out and are almost always either as simple as a fuse or a relay
You can find the full manual in english here:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/714714/Dometic-Type-C40-Rm-7655-L.html?page=16#manual

OK, so that is all the good(ish) news.
The fact the indicator is red does indicate there is actually a fault in the fridge.
The most common fault being the 12 volt heating element failing.
Sounds awful but if you can use a screwdriver a replacement part is under £30 and can be fitted fairly easily :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back