Me again - used Hymer B544 - what about importing one? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil integra
Exp
New
Hello all you lovely helpful people.

Having now buttered you up, I'm chancing my arm with a third post, having done yet more research, sat down with my daughter and shown her piccies and explained where/how everyone might sleep - and we think we might be happy with a Hymer B544 - but there seem to be slightly longer ones that I'm after which are either a variant or they're newer - not sure which - about 6.5 m rather than the ones nearer 6m.

Something around the 2006-8 vintage might be affordable, but they seem few and far between, till I start looking at mobile.de, when they're 10 a penny (well, obviously not that cheap...). I don't particularly want to travel abroad to fetch one, but would go to the effort if it's not too horrendous - and make a short break of it. Aside from all the legalities and ordering packs etc from DVLA etc, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or practical advice - clearly feels a bit more daunting to try and sort a deal abroad, but I might be prepared to take the plunge if I can't find what I want here very easily.

Thanks again.

Gail

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think the more recent b544's are 6.5 m
Mine a 2003 and only 6m
Not sure when the change was but probably around 2010.
There are also a variety of internal layouts.

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If you are looking from 2007 onwards the length is 6.5 metres and there are two distinct models, the B544 is the ‘cheaper’ version without any double floor and essential storage space, not sure if it had an Alko chassis. The B544SL is the better choice having the Alko chassis, double floor and plenty of underfloor capacity.

Over the years I have imported two new Hymer’s from Germany, never done it with a secondhand one but if you make contact with a dealer in Germany I can’t see that it would be any different.

Bear in mind that you will only be able to obtain third party insurance included with the export plates and when back in the U.K. you will need to convert the speedo to show mph, easily done with a new fascia from Lockwoods in Leeds. Fog light shouldn’t be a problem as mine has two as standard. The headlights have a lever enabling conversion to U.K. requirements so no problem there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If you are looking from 2007 onwards the length is 6.5 metres and there are two distinct models, the B544 is the ‘cheaper’ version without any double floor and essential storage space, not sure if it had an Alko chassis. The B544SL is the better choice having the Alko chassis, double floor and plenty of underfloor capacity.

Over the years I have imported two new Hymer’s from Germany, never done it with a secondhand one but if you make contact with a dealer in Germany I can’t see that it would be any different.

Bear in mind that you will only be able to obtain third party insurance included with the export plates and when back in the U.K. you will need to convert the speedo to show mph, easily done with a new fascia from Lockwoods in Leeds. Fog light shouldn’t be a problem as mine has two as standard. The headlights have a lever enabling conversion to U.K. requirements so no problem there.
We had a B544 reg 2012 and it had a double floor which is great for storage and was winterised - a brilliant motorhome. The length was 6.45m and ours was replated to 4250.
I think Premier in Chichester may still have it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Nov 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil integra
Exp
New
Wow - thanks very much for all that practical advice. In spite of stirling being worth nothing these days, the euro prices didn't seem too bad on mobile.de - even from dealerships. Yes, it's definitely the double floor I want and the slightly longer newer ones.

Did people just make one trip and sort it there and then, or, as I've read elsewhere, do a reccie, leave a deposit and go back later to pick up? What about plug points? Do you get them changed when you're back home?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We had a B544 reg 2012 and it had a double floor which is great for storage and was winterised - a brilliant motorhome. The length was 6.45m and ours was replated to 4250.
I think Premier in Chichester may still have it.

shame this one may be out of your budget, sounds a lovely van with a great payload

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Easy to import we imported our new B678DL last year and it went like clockwork just follow the advice on the threads already on the forum and if in doubt ask there are lots of people who will be only to willing to help if they can.(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Good idea to import. We've done it twice, although we bought new both times, and its not difficult. You'll get lots of good advice on here on how to go about it.

If I were doing it right now, though, I'd be keen to make sure I'd got the van home before 29th March because of the uncertainty about what may happen after that date. Of course, if there's an extension of Article 50, you'll have a bit of breathing space. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Nov 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil integra
Exp
New
Yes - thanks Bellabee - hubby doesn't get his bonus till the end of March, which we'll need to fund all this - so I'm banking on an extension to Art 50 or some other miracle. If not, the most ambitious border we might be crossing is Hadrians Wall... Or maybe buy earlier with a short term loan to get ahead of the Brexit wave - before our EHIC's are only good for lighting the barbecue...

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What about plug points? Do you get them changed when you're back home?

Thanks again
Why bother, you can change them just as easy to either use adaptors or change the plugs on the appliances. We don't use much mains stuff but any items that are only used in the van I change the plugs.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes don't worry about changing sockets we've had 3 imports now and have not done one socket, adaptors are dirt cheap, plus if you ever part exchange abroad again then nothing to do.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back