Me again sorry more questions (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Nice one Phil :thumb: but then playing Devils advocate who's going to say it's bolted to the floor corectly :Doh::Doh::Doh:::bigsmile:
Going back to pics of the van Mark to see if theres a simple way to move a cuboard or modify something :winky:
tery

Ok thanks mate

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Just where does it state side seats cannot carry passengers= my insurance simply asks how many seatbelts? I told them it's a 3 berth van but with only driver and passenger seats belted -the 3rd passenger sits in/on a side seat which does not requie belts :thumb: No problem Mr terry :winky:
terry

I never said you couldn't carry passengers in side facing seats, your insurance company may be ok but other may not. all I was saying was that Hudders1 should check with his.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Right Mark get rid of the diaganal cupbord and fit seat there -it may comprimise enterence -or you could also chop a foot or so into the seat/bed behind cupboard meaning your feet rather than head at that end where it willbe narrow --- looking at the pics again how long is that back bed ? Ivecos are only 5 ft 7 ins wide internally so if thats the biggest size I hope you are very small to sleep in it.If it's 5ft 7 ins wide by 6ft plus it will be ok ::bigsmile:Don't make the mistake thinking it's OK when you lay on it -you need to be able to put your head on a pillow and strech out :thumb:You may be OK for the odd night cramped up but after two nights you will want to head home :Smile:
terry

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I let my kids travel in the side facing seats in my PVC without seat belts, but I would never let them travel in what is essentially a flimsy caravan bolted to the back of a van cab [HI]with or without[/HI] factory fitted belts.

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Right Mark get rid of the diaganal cupbord and fit seat there -it may comprimise enterence -or you could also chop a foot or so into the seat/bed behind cupboard meaning your feet rather than head at that end where it willbe narrow --- looking at the pics again how long is that back bed ? Ivecos are only 5 ft 7 ins wide internally so if thats the biggest size I hope you are very small to sleep in it.If it's 5ft 7 ins wide by 6ft plus it will be ok ::bigsmile:Don't make the mistake thinking it's OK when you lay on it -you need to be able to put your head on a pillow and strech out :thumb:You may be OK for the odd night cramped up but after two nights you will want to head home :Smile:
terry

Hi I need the cubard as I need the bed as there is 4 off us. I was thinking of putting a single seat in the middle and making a way of removing it quickly

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I never said you couldn't carry passengers in side facing seats, your insurance company may be ok but other may not. all I was saying was that Hudders1 should check with his.

Hi Scousebird just where did I say yousaid that ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:I usually find ins co's ask questions and I answer :winky:providedI tell them the truth they say no problem -- I have it every yr with my L200 because it has aftermarket 20 ins wheels on and a few posh other things- I always tell them about them - I had to pay a tenner extra for the wheels one yr :Smile:
terry

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ok some pics below .. hope they can stimulate a solution. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMAG0547.jpg
    IMAG0547.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0550.jpg
    IMAG0550.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 15
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the other few :thumb:

there is a box frame that bolts through the floor and is vertically supported by a section at 90' to the frame to the nearest "secure" point :Cool:

Attachments

• IMAG0552.jpg
    IMAG0552.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0553.jpg
    IMAG0553.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0556.jpg
    IMAG0556.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
[HI]Just where does it state side seats cannot carry passengers[/HI]= my insurance simply asks how many seatbelts? I told them it's a 3 berth van but with only driver and passenger seats belted -the 3rd passenger sits in/on a side seat which does not requie belts :thumb: No problem Mr terry :winky:
terry

Inferred?

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
the other few :thumb:

there is a box frame that bolts through the floor and is vertically supported by a section at 90' to the frame to the nearest "secure" point :Cool:

What are these called please?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the seat is part of the standard Adria Coral fit to our van layout and is fitted by them so as far as i can tell is a special for them.

i have attached below a "sketch" of the metal box frame that is built into the side sofa that may help you chop and change to suit your van. you could carry a spare seat cushion that is put in place for travelling and stored when not in use rather than have yours doctored, just a thought :Doh:

ours coverts tro rear facing wth a view for the ocupant out of the hab door window.:Doh:

Attachments

• seat frame sketch.jpg
    seat frame sketch.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 13
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sorry sketch has not come out very well from the scan. if you need a better look ill give it another go.:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i agree Peter. i would not, but we all have choices.

i'm just trying to be helpful :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have the same seat as phill has in our Adria and actually thought of this but couldn't think how I'd tell you so thanks Phill. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mark I hope you don't think anyone is trying to put you off just giving opinions and the more you get the more informed your choice will be.

I would have thought if this was the van for you that you could change the front passengers seat to a double like you have in a normal van and the anchor points should be there. This would mean you could have both the kids strapped in and the wife ian the back so you can't hear her so a win win :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There is no choice when messing about with seat belts, fit a non aproved and have an accident and people will get injured with side facing belts.

Insurance company looks, see a non aproved fitting NO INSURANCE, in the accident you have caused damage to another vehicle and its occupants, not only they but your passenger is going to sue the arse off you plus no doubt the plod will get in on the act as well

Accident not your fault ambulance chasing blood sucking leeches of no win no fee lawyers will have a field day at your expense.

You could also find that the van will fail its MOT as well

Be warned

Peter

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks very much for all the avice and it hasn't put me off. I have decided it as to be forward facing seats so changing the front would be the best solution but I have had no luck finding out if this can be done. I have rang iveco and they don't know so stuck now

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure if this allowed (sorry if not allowed) but it might be worth posting the question on sbmcc.co.uk
I know a lot of the self builders there have fitted rear seats and a lot have Iveco's.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not sure if this allowed (sorry if not allowed) but it might be worth posting the question on sbmcc.co.uk
I know a lot of the self builders there have fitted rear seats and a lot have Iveco's.

They will yell you the same as me

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
posted a few minutes ago on another thread

ust found this post that geo made, might help..........

Seats in the rear of a camper van/Motorhome did not, prior to October 2007, require seat belts (whether forward, rearward or sideways facing) and it is not illegal to carry unrestrained passengers in them while travelling, providing the vehicle is not overloaded. It is not something we would recommend, however.
Although current seat belt wearing regulations do not currently prohibit carrying more passengers in vehicles than there are seat belts available, the police may prosecute drivers for carrying passengers in a manner that may injure someone.
We would advise that no-one should be carried in any unbelted seat in the rear of a Motorhome.
An EU Directive (2005/40/EC) on the installation of seat belts required that from 20 October 2007 new vehicles have to have seat belts fitted on all seats except those seats intended solely for use when the vehicle is stationary.
Where seat belts are fitted, from May 2009, the seat belt wearing Directive will prevent more passengers being carried than there are seat belts in the rear of vehicles. This will mean that from May 2009, in any vehicle of whatever age, where seat belts are fitted in the rear, more passengers may not be carried in the rear than there are seat belts available.
The critical point for owners of older motor homes is that it will not become illegal to carry passengers in the rear, provided that no seat belts are fitted to any seats behind the driver and front passenger seats. Owners of any Motorhome that has belts fitted to any seat in the rear will need to be aware that, from May 2009, it will be illegal to carry passengers in any unbelted seats.

Geo
Credit due to the original authors--- UK motorhomes

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Fitted by a converter means that it is aproved and passed all relevant tests, a DIY job wont, end of story

Peter

Never heard such piffil come from you before Peter :Eeek:
Just what tests etc has a converter been through and aproved for to give them aproved status to fit seat belts?
There are dozens if not hundreds of small professional converters out there.willing to bet a pound to a penny that less than 10 % have been on any thing that gives them anything to fit a a seatbelt - covering my ass on this because I know some places that are aproved to fit aftermarket seatbelts and one may be a van converter ::bigsmile: after all I wouldn't want to loose a penny :winky:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back