Me again, Phone and WiFi this time (1 Viewer)

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
Next question what can I get to improve poor cell phone signals so I can use my smart phone, In poor reception areas. Also is there a widget which would combine this with a device to improve wifi signal from free spots such as camp sites

Thanks again in anticipation Dave C

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As far as I know the gadgets you can get to boost mobile phone signals are illegal as they are unapproved transmitters. You can buy them though!

The alternative would be a mifi with an external aerial, ideally a mimo type aerial with two leads. This will get you broadband and generate a local WiFi network.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As far as I know the gadgets you can get to boost mobile phone signals are illegal as they are unapproved transmitters. You can buy them though!

The alternative would be a mifi with an external aerial, ideally a mimo type aerial with two leads. This will get you broadband and generate a local WiFi network.

The aren't illegal. It's perfectly legal to purchase and install them. The downside from a motorhoming point of view is that all the ones I'm aware of that work are designed to be permanently installed with a 230v supply and a high level antenna.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The way I have solved these problems is by not staying anywhere without a satisfactory internet signal.

With good internet and Skype (plus a Skypeout account) I rarely use the normal GSM networks...

Luckily in Portugal, where I spend most of my time, both phone and mobile data signals are usually good.

JJ :cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The aren't illegal. It's perfectly legal to purchase and install them. The downside from a motorhoming point of view is that all the ones I'm aware of that work are designed to be permanently installed with a 230v supply and a high level antenna.
Good point, it may be possible to have fixed installations inside a building, where presumably it can be set up not to interfere with phones outside the building. However, Ofcom seem fairly sure of the position on mobile boosters:

What they say is:

"The unlicensed use of mobile repeaters is illegal in the UK. People using them can face a fine of up to £5,000 and up to a year in prison."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Good point, it may be possible to have fixed installations inside a building, where presumably it can be set up not to interfere with phones outside the building. However, Ofcom seem fairly sure of the position on mobile boosters:

What they say is:

"The unlicensed use of mobile repeaters is illegal in the UK. People using them can face a fine of up to £5,000 and up to a year in prison."

A repeater is not the same as a booster.

You can easily get boosters to cover 1000 sq m.

These are very similar to the ones we used to install quite regularly. They work perfectly.

One I installed myself in our office at the time changed no reception at all inside the building to full 3G which was all there was at the time.

I have seen ones claiming to cover 5000 and 10000 sq m but have no experience of them so I don't know how effective they are at those ranges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back