playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi. Can anyone please tell me how the leisure batteries are recharged. I have 2 batteries cabled together in series.
On the electric panel above the sink, I have a picture of a light bulb which is lit with a red light - what does this signify?
When I press the battery check it indicates only 1 rather than full so I think both bateries have suffered over the winter - am I correct?
Playbyte

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi. Can anyone please tell me how the leisure batteries are recharged. I have 2 batteries cabled together in series.
On the electric panel above the sink, I have a picture of a light bulb which is lit with a red light - what does this signify?
When I press the battery check it indicates only 1 rather than full so I think both bateries have suffered over the winter - am I correct?
Playbyte

Have you had the motorhome on the Electric hookup over the winter Guys?

I tend to turn the charger on every couple of weeks just to ensure the batteries are kept charged.

You may be able to recover them.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi playbyte.

assuming you have been on hookup:Doh: have you got your charger, on the mains/powersupply/charger unit, turned on.
i dont know the mcCloius setup but you should be able to turn on/off the charger unit.

on my kontiki the unit has a rocker switch on top to turn the charger on/off. this also has a fuse which on mine was not making a contact in its carrier thus no charge.

i think the red light will just be a visual warning that the 12v power is turned on.

hope this helps.

john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No we didnt have it on hook up over winter because it is parked on the garage forecourt near to us seeing as we dont have facilities to park it at our house. As for a charger for them I wouldnt know where to look :(, would it be attached to or near to the leisure battery? The garage is taking them into his care and putting them onto trickle charge over the next few days so im hoping that will give us the boost to start the season with.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
charger could be anywhere, in a cupboard, under a seat ect but its normally near the hookup socket.

sounds like they will need more than trickle charging.
connect to a hookup for a couple of days then check again and hopefully all will be ok.
or connect a normal (5 to 10 ah) car charger to one of the batteries.

john.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are off out this evening so I will pick up any replies in the morning, so in anticipation of the flood of help I will get - thank you thank you thank you.
Playbyte :Eeek:

S

stagman

Deleted User
We are off out this evening so I will pick up any replies in the morning, so in anticipation of the flood of help I will get - thank you thank you thank you.
Playbyte :Eeek:

Batteries should be in parallel not series,or did you use the wrong description.Series would give you 24v just a thought,

OP
OP
P

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
aaaaah yes thanks stagman i did mean parallel. As a friend installed it im assuming that he put thae cables on correctly - i think he put red to red and black to black which if that is incorect of course, that in itself may be the reason they are run down. Electrics are not within my knowledge base so im learning as we go here ::bigsmile:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Playbyte
The install sounds OK, red to red and black to black or Pos (+) to Pos (+) and Neg (-) to Neg(-), this will give you 12 volts DC at the rated current of both batteries, so assume that you have 2 x 85 Amp/Hour batteries you should have approximately 170 Amp/Hours worth of supply.
Do remember that batteries do not like to be run down flat, so if you can get a multimeter and read the voltage of the batteries without the charger and they should be above 11.5 volts, if they are much below this they will be decidedly sick and probably will need replacing, lower than 10 volts and you need to go shopping for some new ones I am afraid...
I do hope that you manage to recharge your batteries but if you are in trouble please feel free to PM me as I will be having a couple of virtually brand new 85 Amp/Hour batteries to sell very soon as I am upgrading the batteries on our RV to 110 Amp/Hour ones.......
Good luck

Keith

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Playbyte

The picture of a light bulb which is lit with a red light signifies the 12V system is on (on the Mclouis here is usually a button under the light to switch it on or off)

With any luck the batteries will be ok when you start using the van again.

The charger will probably be under one of the front seats and all works automatically.

Note, do not stick a knife into the charger, see Bad Liebenzell

Link Removed

Ralph

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for that Ralph-dot. Sadly the button under the red light doesnt do anything, I can hear it click but nothing changes at all.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that Ralph-dot. Sadly the button under the red light doesnt do anything, I can hear it click but nothing changes at all.

try turning on an interior light then press the button under the red light,
does the interior light stay on or go off?

it should act as a master switch for the 12v system.

OP
OP
P

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you papajohn, I will try that on the way back from church in the morning as our motorhome is on the forecourt of a garage.
playbyte

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Playbyte
Mine is the 673G I press it once it shows me Leisure and they go from red green to top green various stages 4 Green bars is fully charge red is flat ,press it again it does the same for Vehicle battery. There's a 12V system under drivers seat ,when on hook up it bypasses batteries and runs & powers the 12V system at the same time charges your leisure batteries up,even if 12v master switched off.:thumb::thumb: Alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Alan, if playbyte hasnt sorted it yet he definately needs a new battery now.....the original thread date was almost two years ago :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back