McAfee Security - Does anyone know? (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
This is my opinion, just as my original reply was. -

Because I've spent too much time fixing PCs that have had software installed which the user obtained from, shall we say, 'unusual' sources. Some of this software has been in sealed packaging complete with certificates of authenticity and install codes (an easy thing to duplicate). As for accessing the net to authenticate - I can't think of a better way to allow a PC to transmit data to another user :whatthe:

Only if you are particularly naive or unaware.......the mcafee site is a secure one and the address is pretty obvious. I've spent many many years building, using, repairing and helping out with PCs and Macs and have never purchased non-legit software off ebay - surely, if, say, Photoshop is being sold for £10, its obviously a fake? And ebay do close these sellers off quite quickly and shut down the auctions. However, OEM software is quite different and can come at a substantial discount to the boxed variety for exactly the same program. I don't agree that buying software from ebay is risky - it is not - provided you are sensible. Its one thing to buy software usually sold for £30 RRP for £9 in its OEM form, but when Photoshop, usually £500, is offered for £10, then obviously there is a problem.

Ebay is not an "unusual" source of software - I have purchased many packages there over many years, for myself and others, and have never had a dodgy buy. Recently, I purchased Office 2007 Home, a sealed retail version, for under £40 while PC World wanted around £70 - there are legitimate sellers offering substantial discounts to the High Street wallys!!! Its installed and registered with Microsoft already, too, just as Mc Afee is with them, and both update from their legitimate websites, I checked that.

Horses for courses, I expect - I'm happy to assess the risks and get substantial discounts , others may want to pay 200% more to keep the High Street in business, but they have peace of mind that way. Neither way is right or wrong, but I don't think ebay should be deemed "unusual" or in any way dodgy relating to software sales - normal sensible care about purchases should help you avoid problems. :whatthe:

Anyhow, back to the original topic - the £9.50 purchase of McAfee 2009 on ebay is, in fact, perfectly ok. There is free software about like Avira, which is also excellent, but if you want an integrated suite of programs this is an unbeatable price.

Laurie

Laurie

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Anyhow, back to the original topic - the £9.50 purchase of McAfee 2009 on ebay is, in fact, perfectly ok. There is free software about like Avira, which is also excellent, but if you want an integrated suite of programs this is an unbeatable price.

Laurie

Thanks for your help Laurie, I appreciate it. By the way, instead of leaving my laptop open and on all day, does it hurt to close the lid and effectively put it into hibernation when we are not actually using it??

It is such a pain to turn it off and turn it on, especially as McAfee always scans when we turn in on.

Ginny

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The link you have given takes you to a different site not avg which is then asking you to purchase a different antivirus to me itt looks suspect ? i may be wrong
The link you gave to C-Net was also not a direct link. to download from the company that wrote the program go to
AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Real-time protection against viruses, spyware and malicious websites

it is also available from numerous download sites. I would not post a suspect site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Laurie

Thanks for your help Laurie, I appreciate it. By the way, instead of leaving my laptop open and on all day, does it hurt to close the lid and effectively put it into hibernation when we are not actually using it??

It is such a pain to turn it off and turn it on, especially as McAfee always scans when we turn in on.

Ginny

No it doesn't - some laptops like my new Dell, allow you to one-click on a button down at the left corner, effectively doing just that and not shutting the whole computer down.It saves your current settings and just goes back there when you restart it without the whole boot up procedure. Most laptops will close off and hibernate if you close the screen anyway, as a protective measure.

Laurie

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
wildman

My link to avg8 is a recomended partner download server see for yorself AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation select download it will take you to the site.

I'm sure your link was not intended to deliberately suggest a doggy site ; but if you follow your own link it offers antivirus 2009 for which you pay for and not avg8 .

If you google antivirus 2009 you will find that this is a fake software Link Removed=

antivirus 2009

Antivirus 2009 is tagged by security expert as of the widely spread and most successful rogue antivirus to date. It had infected vast number of computers around the world. Antivirus 2009 pretends to be a security application but crated primarily to sell the rogue security product by using unfair method of fake scanning and detection to assure the victim of its importance.

I am in no way having a go at you ;but felt the need to be concerned about the link you posted .

Regards

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
wildman

My link to avg8 is a recomended partner download server see for yorself AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation select download it will take you to the site.

I'm sure your link was not intended to deliberately suggest a doggy site ; but if you follow your own link it offers antivirus 2009 for which you pay for and not avg8 .

If you google antivirus 2009 you will find that this is a fake software Link Removed=

antivirus 2009

Antivirus 2009 is tagged by security expert as of the widely spread and most successful rogue antivirus to date. It had infected vast number of computers around the world. Antivirus 2009 pretends to be a security application but crated primarily to sell the rogue security product by using unfair method of fake scanning and detection to assure the victim of its importance.

I am in no way having a go at you ;but felt the need to be concerned about the link you posted .

Regards

This is the exact site that tried to install itself on Jens Mac!! Luckily it behaved so suspiciously and badly that it was in itself alarming, also claiming it was suitable for a Mac which of course it is not. There are loads of these fake sites running malware - please be careful out there!!! Maybe consider making a dedicated hardware firewall out of an elderly PC or laptop gathering dust in the garage somewhere........

Laurie

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I decided to follow Laurie's advice and bought the OEM McAfee. It is sealed, with a serial number on the back and is exactly the same as the 2008 version which came with Sky Broadband, so I am confident it is ok.

I appreciate what others have said about AVG and am sure it is ok but I would prefer to keep my laptop 'tight as a drum' and staying with McAfee will give me the reasurance I want from my Internet security.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Ginny

alan wilson

Free Member
Nov 13, 2008
rhyl north wales
Funster No
MH
lowline c class
Exp
3 motorhoming 23 caravanning
Hi, another little problem. Our McAfee security is about to run out and I have been offered 50% off from McAfee (£25 approx) to renew with them. I notice that on Ebay they have "SEALED Full McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009 LATEST " at only £9.50!

Can anyone tell me what is the catch? could this be a 'proper version'? The one I have at the moment came with the Sky Broadband package, so was not in a fancy box, but it is the full version.

I dont want to waste money if it is not a proper McAfee, but then again saving half the price by buying from Ebay is very tempting.

Ginny and Mike
HI GINNY AND MIKE,
I HAVE USED AVG FOR OVER 10 YEARS HAD THE FREE VERSION FOR 8 YEARS AND IT PICKED UP MORE PROBLEMS THAN NORTON AND MCAFREE PUT TOGETHER THAT ON THE PC A THE SAME TIME AS THEY WAS FREE WHEN I BOUGHT IT.
I NOW HAVE THE NEW VERSION AVG8 IT IS THE BEST YOU CAN BuY IF YOU HAV MORE THAN 1 COMPUTER THERE IS A VESION THAT YOU CAN BUY FOR UP TO 3 COMPUTERS COST APPROX £52 FOR 2 YEARS THEN YOU GET A 25% DISCOUNT ON RENEWALS AND YOU HAVE A 24HR 365 DAY BACKUP FROM THEM ASWELL

R

reader

Deleted User
AVG is a program that is updated very regularly and works well, some time ago they did have a problem but that was quickly resolved and it is now an excellent piece of software.
If you feel you dont get anything for nothing then you can buy a licence for it.
AVG is the only av program that is available for Windows or Linux.

There is another AV program AntiVir from Avira and this also is good and is available free or paid for

You dont get any better software from McAfee or the other lot symantec by paying

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I think its a case of people making decisions for themselves really - AVG certainly isn't the only antivirus program for Windows / Linux as has been suggested and just as there are dozens of marques of motorhomes / cars / computers / appliances, so there are numerous excellent software security programs available - some people go with the free programs - I have Avira on one PC and it is excellent - others pay a small price for their peace of mind, such as the OEM McAfee at £9.50. No single individual making a decision which suits their need is wrong, just as someone buying a Dell instead of an Acer computer would not be wrong. If we all wanted exactly the same thing, there would be no choice, very few shops and life would be very boring!!

I'm glad you were reassured Ginny - I did exactly the same for my new Vista-based Dell laptop as it had a McAfee trial installed which was running seamlessly and £9.50 was a small price to pay to activate a years licence and not have the bother of reinstallations and potential Vista conflicts with other antivirus programs - my time was worth far more than the £9.50 I spent on the McAfee!! :RollEyes: McAfee wanted around £30 for exactly the same service.

Laurie

R

reader

Deleted User
"AVG certainly isn't the only antivirus program for Windows / Linux as has been suggested "

Perhaps you can tell me which other AV will cover both Linux and Windows then

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
"avg certainly isn't the only antivirus program for windows / linux as has been suggested "

perhaps you can tell me which other av will cover both linux and windows then

f-prot, kasperski..afaik

Last edited:
R

reader

Deleted User
Thanks for that info yes I forgot about Kaspersky, one of the best AV progs for windows, wasnt aware they did a Linux one, have looked, you have to pay for it !!

Will have a look at the f-prot for Linux workstations as the Linux version of AVG whilst it works isnt as good/slick as the windows version

Cheers again for the info

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back