Maybe a how rude question? Why turnover in MHs? (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
It's a good question and set me thinking. Over 30 years of motorhoming and 8 "vans" our longest kept was 10 years and shortest 1 year. Each change has been for no specific reason other than finding a van we fancied. The shortest period was when we took the van in for it's first service, had a look around and did a deal with the salesman, my wife didn't even know but happily she loved the new one.

It is an expensive decision each time but we certainly have never regretted changing.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We are on our 3rd van, first one rejected after 6 weeks, 2nd one part ex'd after 18 months due to structural problems, current van 2 1/2 years and no intention of changing.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I was talking to one of the sales guys at a well known Newark motorhome dealers (the one that isn’t Brownhills) the other week.

I asked him how many of the vans he has sold this year he expects to see back on the market next year as the buyers decide that holidays in the U.K. ( I refuse to call these “staycations”) is not for them after all.

I was staggered when he said in a normal year they get about 25% of sales back - as people decide to upgrade, or Motorhomes are not for them, or circumstances change. So next year it will be higher but he didn’t want to put a figure on it.

I had expected him to say 10% normally and maybe 25% in these unusual times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
After 40 years caravanning we decided to change to Motorhoming 6 years ago. With our previous experience of trying out different layouts with caravans we both made pros and cons lists of the importance of various “wants” in a motorhome. The first non negotiable item was a garage that would take bikes etc as we did not want anything on show whilst travelling and the second was maximum length of 7 metres. We we’re very firm about following the list apart from nearly slipping up by inadvertently ordering van with one garage door but this was resolved and we have been very happy with our one and only van which does have drawbacks but the perfect van doesn’t exist.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
guys selling N+B and they told us that they had just sold an Arto to a guy who came to the show as a day visitor just for a look around and had never camped in his life,
My mate bought a house here in spain, to retire to & run a holiday let, having never ever set foot in the country before?

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I don’t suppose I have the experience to really comment, but I will anyway,,,we hired a couple of MHs for holidays and fell in love with lifestyle,,,I did LOADS of homework and did many lists of what we wanted and didn’t want,all the usual stuff,,we settled on our one,and have not been disappointed,,Id go so far to say I love it,,( not that I would never change but suits us at the mo), I am very anal about looking after it , as I do my car , but that’s love for you(y)

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Age 69 when I purchased first Motorhome a used AutoSleeper Pollensa. Having got fed up making up the bed every night we then part exchanged for a used Adria Sport 55730 S with a made up bed. For our third and last van we downsized to a new Globecar GlobeScout Camper Van at 6 mtr. Our best purchase by far with happy touring in Europe. Unfortunatley age and illness has crept up on us and now having to make the decision to sell. 😎
Brian

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Swapped to a Marquis Majestic 125 after several caravans over the years. Kept it for three years and chopped it in a year ago for my current Compactline 138. Getting too long in the tooth for there to be a successor and I can't imagine needing to change anyway.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The reasons for the high turnover are pretty much covered but the best bit of advice I would give myself again would be to rent before you buy. We rented a couple of times and our requirements changed drastically from the day when we first set out as total novices to when we finally bought our first and only moho. We're on or 670th night in it and it still works well for us.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
It's a good question and set me thinking. Over 30 years of motorhoming and 8 "vans" our longest kept was 10 years and shortest 1 year. Each change has been for no specific reason other than finding a van we fancied. The shortest period was when we took the van in for it's first service, had a look around and did a deal with the salesman, my wife didn't even know but happily she loved the new one.

It is an expensive decision each time but we certainly have never regretted changing.
Same here…

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Some will also be hire vans esp lower spec, large number of berth vans.

Usually a year or two old with 20 -40k on them.

Agreed best to go old or new the ground in the middle is spongey!

Cheers James

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
After spending all our life in tents/trailer tents/caravans, we got it right first time. First van was a Hymer Tramp had it 6 years changed because we wanted an A Class with a garage. 2 nd van a Hymer Exsis changed it at under 3 years but only because we got such a good deal on the current van. Had the current one 4 years probably keep it another 2.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Speed read the previous answers looking for this one: low mileage Motorhome’s that have been rejected.

Haven’t suffered that myself but there’s a concern that dealers pass on the MH to a new punter with little remedy work.
🤞 thats rare.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Good question DDDigger, something I have wondered myself. We have a Swift Bessacarr 584, 2 years old now. We spent nearly 10yrs deciding what we wanted but just about made the right decision. Mind you Swift do sometimes get a hard time on here but we are pleased with it. Management and I talk about downsizing but keep coming back to the space we have and like. The only thing we might change would be to go for an island bed but we are lucky to have what we have got and hope to enjoy for some time to come.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Layout is critical to everyone I would guess. We spent more than two years deciding what layout would be perfect for how we wanted to use the MH, then finding a decent second hand example for the money we were prepared to spend to test our theory. I suspect many aren't so thorough and only discover afterwards that there are better layouts for them. It's not always immediately obvious what will work for you. As it happens we love the layout. Only "would be nice" is having an A Class in same layout instead of overcab, but virtually no one makes them and so very rare second hand.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Layout is critical to everyone I would guess. We spent more than two years deciding what layout would be perfect for how we wanted to use the MH, then finding a decent second hand example for the money we were prepared to spend to test our theory. I suspect many aren't so thorough and only discover afterwards that there are better layouts for them. It's not always immediately obvious what will work for you. As it happens we love the layout. Only "would be nice" is having an A Class in same layout instead of overcab, but virtually no one makes them and so very rare second hand.
The stock shortage since COVID, allied to the rapid price increases, makes the process you undertook something of a luxury. We started off with the 'do the research, find an example of the van, visit it in person, then think about it', and by that time the [brand new] Van had been sold! We found Brunhilde who was only 6 weeks short of 5 years old and paid [for a better spec van, admitted;y] about £2,500 more [and exactly £2,000 more than Brunhilde cost when brand new ..].

The alternative was to wait for next year's production[with price rise] and hope that we could get one. So, in we jumped, and 17 weeks later we're enjoying Brunhilde, spending the money that would have been swallowed by the subsequent price rises on lithium batteries, refillable gas systems and other odds and ends to make the van work for us.

To paraphrase a familiar saying, sometimes you just either decide to pee, or you get off the pot ... ;)

Steve & Elaine

Shevaun

Free Member
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Buying soon .looking
Exp
1988 at the tender age of 28 Lyn my wife and I bought our first motorhome, a Autohomes Highwayman, shiny and new straight from the showroom!

Since then we have bought too many vans

Autohomes Highwayman (Back door no use for bike racks)
Swift Kon Tiki (wasn't an RV)
Gulf Stream Ultra 28' (Wanted an A Class)
Rexhall Airex 28' (Loved it wanted a bigger A class)
Georgie Boy Cruise Master 32' (Loved it wanted a bigger A class)
Georgie Boy Cruise Master 36' (Liked it, realised the dealer had missed out on options we wanted)
Georgie Boy Cruise Master 36' (Loved it, children starting to grow up and not come all the time)
Benimar Europe Top 24' (wrong options)
Benimar Europe Top 24' (right options, too small)
Dethleffs Globetrotter XXXL 30' (Gutless wouldn't two a 27' RIB)
R Vision Condor 28' (Towed well, shit build)
Winnebago Minnie Winnie 30' (towed well, great build, fancied another A class)
Gulfstream Sun Voyager 33' (OK quite enjoyed it, decided to downsize)
Currently a Thor Windsport 29' (Current van still enjoying it)

So 14 motorhomes in 32 years, loved every minute of it all
Love your spirit of adventure!!😂 we are on our First!!! ( old to the game!!) ... just a year ... thinking of changing already!! A Burstner 7.49m long .. fixed island bed ... but I ( wife) won’t drive it ... too ping, wide... so looking at Adria SGX 640 with twin fixed beds .. love the size, insulation ..... or similar .... would welcome your thoughts !! ??

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Research, Research and Hire - was how we came up with 'our' ideal Moho - Autotrail Cheyene 696 SE - Fixed bed above Garage that is 'huge'.
Perfect for 2 of us and Hound.. with extra person you need to make up bed - we really don't like that bother. We have 2 TVs and Internal Wifi.
Garage is stuffed with Electric Bikes / Chairs / Tables/ Windbreaks/ Spares / BBQ / Larder / Fire-Pit / 2 Tents / Awning LEDs / Fridge - Beer and Wine.

We have advised many on buying a Moho and the key thing is to hire one and see how you get on, based on what and who you are fitting into it.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Mine is probably worth £10-15k, so I'm out of the willy waving competition.
Less chance of prosecution if I stick with waving my hand at fellow motorhomers driving in the opposite way ... Otherwise I might redefine the term 'Flash git' ... :unsure: :LOL:

Steve

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
After spending all our life in tents/trailer tents/caravans, we got it right first time. First van was a Hymer Tramp had it 6 years changed because we wanted an A Class with a garage. 2 nd van a Hymer Exsis changed it at under 3 years but only because we got such a good deal on the current van. Had the current one 4 years probably keep it another 2.
Then what, a pvc?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I think the younger and fitter you are then layout is less critical, I can live with virtually any layout as long as there is a bed somewhere, a shower and it’s warm.

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, the main problem is research of what you require and what you need, layout is very important and size/payload and what you want to do with it. If you consider all these points view all layouts and try as many hire types as possible in the environments you want to go maybe yo will end up with the van for life. But I doubt it as next week you will want something different. So try it and I bet you will want to change. Enjoy 1 motorhome only owner but I did lots of research and have done lots of upgrades that many are not capable of. Derek

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We changed because our needs changed, just about to change again , I don’t feel I ever made a mistake in our choices .
Same for us. Each van has been the right one at the time. We're on our 3rd van; 1st & 2nd we kept for 3 years each and our current one we've had 8 years. Unlikely to change it again unless Joe can't keep his C1 for any reason so we've got at least another couple of years until the next medical!

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
In 2007 we went to a British Car Auctions motorhome and caravan auction that was specifically for finance companies to sell repossessed vehicles to motor traders. The auction yard had about 100 lots. BCA held those auctions once a fortnight. That's a lot of hire purchase repossessions. Some of the motorhomes were delivery mileage only, others still had the cellophane on the carpet. I'm not sure if this is the situation nowadays, but I suspect there are a lot people who take out loans that they can't pay back and the bailiffs come round fairly quickly. The motorhome dealers today will be looking to buy those vehicles to meet the increased demand.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Edit.....The only thing I would have liked would be a fixed bed, but it's not the be all and end all.
We've got a 4 berth which is french bed at one end and the table area converts with cushions

being a man of a certain age climbing over my wife at 3am to get to the bathroom wasn't happening so I'm on the cushions, best thing I ever bought was a bamboo mattress topper , I sleep better on that than I do at home

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back