Maybe a how rude question? Why turnover in MHs? (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We changed to walk round bed from french bed wife fed up of me crawling out to the loo in the night
We have the drop down transverse bed in our 5.99m Van, so it's 'one out, all out' and the first one down the ladder then moves into the kitchen recess to permit the one with the greater need to enter the bathroom. Think 'Ladies' Excuse Me' exercise, all very genteel! ;)

Steve

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I struggle with the idea of late plate vans with say 3000 miles, why are they so little used (maybe a lockdown factor again)

As I said, don't wish to be rude but interested in perspectives.
Lots of reasons as previously stated. Mine 2 years of searching buy the perfect van (for us) intentions and circumstances change. Being members of the sandwich generation we have young families and aged mothers requireing attention. even early during covid 5 out of 6 weekends taken, christ knows how many hospital trips. So hardly surprising van only has 6k on in 3 yrs. Initial intention was should be upto 25k now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Apologies if this is a bit impertinent for a newbie to ask, particularly one who hasn't even bought their first van, but a bit of browsing of forums and looking say on Autotrader at the number of vans (sorry still need to work out the right term to refer to both PVCs and Coachbuilts) with multiple previous owners on not ancient plates brings it to mind,

Why do people change up vans so frequently? I'm aware of the general advice that it is only in your third or so van that you really get right what you are looking for, but very keen to avoid that pitfall. Is the current Covid influenced period an exception where in some cases people are literally getting back what they paid for a van (or more) so there is no hit on depreciation so it's a much easier change?

Is there some magic number for age whereafter damp and faults start to tip the roulette wheel or should I relax on the thought that I might be having cost to change every few years once I get into it (on top of whatever tweaks and upgrades I apply during ownership like solar etc)?

If the answer is that some people can afford it and spend a lot of time in their vans so why not, maybe that's less worrying than the thought that I could easily buy into a lemon first time out?

I guess there is also the factor that people buy on impulse then real life gets in the way. How much of a factor is this - I struggle with the idea of late plate vans with say 3000 miles, why are they so little used (maybe a lockdown factor again)

As I said, don't wish to be rude but interested in perspectives.
They commit the No 1 error by not choosing the layout that suits them…
THE single MOST important criteria.
Mitch

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My mate bought a house here in spain, to retire to & run a holiday let, having never ever set foot in the country before?

My sister-in-law did that as a permanent move - lasted about a year as she hated it.

Also my sister went to work in China never having even visited. She also lasted about a year.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
My sister-in-law did that as a permanent move - lasted about a year as she hated it.

Also my sister went to work in China never having even visited. She also lasted about a year.
That's longer than our china lasts ... Makes a lovely chiming sound as it shatters and the sound effects are so much better than in one's dreams ...

Steve

Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
I tend to do most things in my life on impulse. It's got me into a fairly decent position in life after 54 years.

Last month I decided this was the time to do what I have always wanted to do and tour the UK for a year or two in a campervan / motorhome. I can afford to not work for that time, I have the money to buy a decent MH and I am spending time researching what I should do. I'm asking questions and ferociously reading this forum and other sites but I know that I ultimately I will likely just take the plunge and go with my gut. At the moment I'm looking at a new Pilote P650C for probably ÂŁ60k with the extras I want. Like I said, I will take the valuable advice of this forum re. engine size etc. but I know what I want and I believe it will hold its value well for a couple of years and it feels like if I don't do it now, I never will - and I really want to.

I'll hire first if I can but otherwise I think I'll be happy going for what my gut tells me. I know the features that I want so it doesn't feel there's much to lose.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I tend to do most things in my life on impulse. It's got me into a fairly decent position in life after 54 years.

Last month I decided this was the time to do what I have always wanted to do and tour the UK for a year or two in a campervan / motorhome. I can afford to not work for that time, I have the money to buy a decent MH and I am spending time researching what I should do. I'm asking questions and ferociously reading this forum and other sites but I know that I ultimately I will likely just take the plunge and go with my gut. At the moment I'm looking at a new Pilote P650C for probably ÂŁ60k with the extras I want. Like I said, I will take the valuable advice of this forum re. engine size etc. but I know what I want and I believe it will hold its value well for a couple of years and it feels like if I don't do it now, I never will - and I really want to.

I'll hire first if I can but otherwise I think I'll be happy going for what my gut tells me. I know the features that I want so it doesn't feel there's much to lose.

If you intend to sell after your 1-2 years then you would be well advised to buy a 4-5 year-old one because you would lose less on the re-sale than on a new one.

Geoff

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
We renovated our old Autocruise and had no intentions of selling.
Then a fellow Funster invited us in for coffee in their American RV and we were wowed by the sheer space (even without slide outs). Seeing as we drive from home to a site and stay there as a base using bikes to visit the area (or occasionally take TOAD) we decided we would enjoy the extra living space at the sacrifice of being less manoeuvrable. Something we wouldn't have understood or appreciated when looking at the first MH.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We are on our first motorhome, bought lat 2017, having been a tugger for over 40 years. This experience enabled us to get the layout right for us which is an end “U” shaped lounge, alcove with a very large double bed over the cab and two seat belt in the lounge for extra passengers which we have done a few times. My wife has also used it while I drove so she could get on with some essential “Work”. Our experience of tugging needed a re-think for the change as we realised we had it wrong in using campsites for long periods whereas we tend to stop a couple of days or so unless we find a place in, say, Germany, which has a decent pool/lake and near good facilities/transport especially. Why pay for your own fuel when a bus in some parts comes free for us in late 70’s in a number of countries we have visited.

Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you intend to sell after your 1-2 years then you would be well advised to buy a 4-5 year-old one because you would lose less on the re-sale than on a new one.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff. Yeah, realise this. Just not sure I actually will sell in a couple of years. This could easily be my way of life until I'm too old to do it!

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
I also made a list of things I did not want - just as useful.
HahA :giggle: :X3:...I did this ..and yes you guessed it!! Only bought exactly what I thought we did not want, once actually in the van, yes I was brave/ cheeky, asked the dealer to collapse the dinette, hubby then could, with a gentle push!! Tried out the length of the bed, sat on the loo! Looked at depth inside cupboards, we have been lucky...but everything is a " compromise "... Unless your financially sound..good luck.🤞

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We're still on our first van after 5 1/2 years, having got probably the best comprimise that we could afford at the time. I do rather like the idea of an A class with a good garage now, although in no rush to change. We average around 4000 miles a year over around 60 days a year mainly because each trip is to a different area (including 3 trips to France) and not significantly moving round.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Geoff. Yeah, realise this. Just not sure I actually will sell in a couple of years. This could easily be my way of life until I'm too old to do it!

Sir (if I may use the informal)

Whether or not you sell in a couple of years or not you could easily pick up a good newish German fully-winterised MH for the ÂŁ60K you mention, and if you continued it would still be with you in another 15 years.

I bought our N&B Arto at 6 years 12 years ago. Nothing wrong with it except a fwe plastic bits cracking.

There are other owners of similar age (MHs not the owners)

If you doubt my advice just listen to funflair, CazPaul. sallylillian. There are a few more I could mention but not all on MHFun

Good luck with you decision.

Geoff

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
1st van was a test the water classic Hymer, loved it so bought a better Hymer .
Starline 630. To this day I don’t know why I sold that lovely van.
N & B flair. Great van but too big.
Adria PVC twin 640 slx. Great van but too small.
Burstner Ixeo it680g. Brilliant and will keep it long term, or will we ?
And so it goes on.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back