Maybe a good tip for anyone with a Dometic fridge (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Dometic are silly they put a little plastic tank to collect condensate, now this often works but in certain conditions it overflows and drops water right into the circuit board and pffffft no fridge.

Take your bottom vent off and see if yours is the same and if it is consider putting a drain pipe on it to save yourself an expensive bit of grief.

Why Dometic do not do this in the first place is beyond my comprehension

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On my RV fridge I removed drip tray, extended the pipe and poked it out of the vent.. you will get dirty water marks where it runs down the van side..but no big deal.. Maybe that's why they have the drip tank.

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I have just done that now Jim but talk about stable doors and horses bolting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I think I might do this and take the pipe through the floor.

However I am worried that this would present another tube/vent for us to be robbed with knockout gas :wink:

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dometic are silly they put a little plastic tank to collect condensate, now this often works but in certain conditions it overflows and drops water right into the circuit board and pffffft no fridge.

Take your bottom vent off and see if yours is the same and if it is consider putting a drain pipe on it to save yourself an expensive bit of grief.

Is it the same on the new Thetford if so where is this tank

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Is it the same on the new Thetford if so where is this tank

Remove front cover ( lower one ) and just inside right hand side you will see the tray. I plan to do it next week when back in The UK so will take photo's ( if Alan does not supply some ) and post here.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Planned obsolescence Alan, so you will have to spend more money if you don't know how to beat the buggers. :LOL:

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Trying to send a picture of the offending plastic container, it is just visible at the very top centre of the picture and it receives the condensate from the fridge via a little plastic pipe. I guess dometic expect it to evaporate away but it does not always do so and overflows into the electrics with expensive results.
The pinkish pipe in the foreground is where I have extended the original pipe to discharge the water out of the bottom of the van.

Well worth a look now to see if yours is the same instead of waiting until the fridge packs up like mine has

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 162

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Trying to send a picture of the offending plastic container, it is just visible at the very top centre of the picture and it receives the condensate from the fridge via a little plastic pipe. I guess dometic expect it to evaporate away but it does not always do so and overflows into the electrics with expensive results.
The pinkish pipe in the foreground is where I have extended the original pipe to discharge the water out of the bottom of the van.

Well worth a look now to see if yours is the same instead of waiting until the fridge packs up like mine has

Alan, looks good, but you need and tube from the fridge into the container first then a run off from the container because you have not "water trap" and bacteria will be allowed into your fridge. I could be wrong but that is way the water is trapped in that bowl thing. I will look at it next week when we are in the UK at inlaws and come up with a plan. Interesting that your container is high up over electric's - mine is away from all things electric and overflows onto lower shelf and out vent. If you look at your picture where the 2 x red wire is lower right mine is screwed onto back wall 2mm above wooden shelf.

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Alan, looks good, but you need and tube from the fridge into the container first then a run off from the container because you have not "water trap" and bacteria will be allowed into your fridge. I could be wrong but that is way the water is trapped in that bowl thing. I will look at it next week when we are in the UK at inlaws and come up with a plan. Interesting that your container is high up over electric's - mine is away from all things electric and overflows onto lower shelf and out vent. If you look at your picture where the 2 x red wire is lower right mine is screwed onto back wall 2mm above wooden shelf.

Mark II version on the drawing board as soon as it stops raining.... thanks John

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Mark II version on the drawing board as soon as it stops raining.... thanks John

Alan, I have had a look at ours this afternoon and I think you need to move your little tank down to the right (in your photo) of the red wire/wires. If you drill a little hole wide enough for the new pipe about 1/2in in old money from the top of the tank ( use superglue to fix to tank ) this will allow the tank to fill up until it reaches the new bleed pipe and should run away through pipe. Thats my theory and will tell you if it works next week whilst in Wales.

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Good idea, anything that can potentially course a problem later has got to be worth making small changes.
I will be adding a drain from the condenser tank straight out through the floor as suggested.
Keep them coming
Regards
Ray

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Whilst we are on Dometic fridges, if anyone has a problem in the future with the door locks on the 8 series fridge freezers.
My locks on the fridge door if up the ghost when we were in Spain a some weeks ago, open the door and on the side of the lock mechanism you will see a thin plastic infill which is stuck on, if you are careful you can prise it off without damaging it and be able to replace the same part, behind this there is two screws undo to remove the lock, after removal on the one side there is clip to prise it apart, inside is only the lock arm and a spring, my spring had Brocken in two just replaced it with a spring from a standard biro job dune easy.
Hope this helps
Price of a new locks £25.84 plus P&P
Regards
Ray

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just had a look at ours (RM6271) and the apparatus behind the lower vent is much simpler. Beneath the drip tray there is only a shelf, no electronics to become wet. There was about an egg cup full of water in the tray, so I dried it with an old towel as I had the vent cover off, but it was well below the overflow level.

Could it be that it's only a problem on fridges that might become Soggy? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
My fridge is a Thetford and the water slopped out of the dish in Spain!!! Not as lucky as Alan cost me nearly €400 to have a new board fitted!

Needless to say dish has been removed and a drain pipe fitted!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just had a look at ours (RM6271) and the apparatus behind the lower vent is much simpler. Beneath the drip tray there is only a shelf, no electronics to become wet. There was about an egg cup full of water in the tray, so I dried it with an old towel as I had the vent cover off, but it was well below the overflow level.

Could it be that it's only a problem on fridges that might become Soggy? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The problem will probably only manifest itself when there is high humidity and the fridge door is being opened and closed frequently..
Normally the water in the tank is evaporated off with the heat from the condenser..

Reactions: GJH

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Happened to ours in spain where the humidity was low Cabopino to be exact and fridge door was not being opened a lot!!!

It is a bloody stupid design fault.....a tub of water right next to an electronics board in a moving vehicle!!! Recipe for disaster!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back