Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Don’t need the usual xyz. We’re thinking of getting a caravan, An Adria. Speaking to one of the sellers he said he’s not a fan of lithium, still too unstable. We have 2 lithium in van which I’d be looking at transferring over, plus inverter. However one seller said he wouldn’t take Mh with lithium installed, would have to remove. Why do caravans not have the same off grid capacity as Mh? He is talking about a 130watt solar one battery, normal lead acid. We’ve 120 and 140 Feeding the lithium. We’ve found rallies this last two years and down in Dorset the lithium worked admirably so I’d like to transfer over. Is this unadvisable or is the vendor just not willing to take the new tech on board?

Decisions have yet to be made so please none of the usual debate.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
No idea ivory55. We’ve had the set up in Mh for two years but only really used it this year, it worked really well. Also with cost etc I’d like to keep it. I’m just wondering whether its lack of knowledge or bias or bad experience. Whilst away most caravans had the freestanding solar, why?

ive emailed the installer to see whether they feel it’s impossible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
No idea ivory55. We’ve had the set up in Mh for two years but only really used it this year, it worked really well. Also with cost etc I’d like to keep it. I’m just wondering whether its lack of knowledge or bias or bad experience. Whilst away most caravans had the freestanding solar, why?

ive emailed the installer to see whether they feel it’s impossible.
My mate uses free standing and sets it for the directions of the sunrise last thing at night and he used to charge a lot quicker than me, also may be they change their vans more often and take it to the next van ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The majority of caravans are little/rarely used off grid so don't need much battery power.
I've also noticed that caravans rarely have wind-out awnings. I assume because they set up with an annexe and remain static for several days/weeks at a time.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
My hymer caravan had 2 solar panels on roof and two batteries (but not the lithium) i preferred being off grid as it feels more like camping,and was great for ths ,and rallys

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
The majority of caravans are little/rarely used off grid so don't need much battery power.
I've also noticed that caravans rarely have wind-out awnings. I assume because they set up with an annexe and remain static for several days/weeks at a time.
Unsure of what wind out awnings have relevance to the thread. We used an air awning for nearly 3 wks, so didn’t move. Used washing machine etc, no need to run engine etc. They really did work well(lithium). We did have the first week of very hot weather and rest of time mixed but generally sunshine. Reasons for changing over, just had 3rd spinal op, cost etc. My dream would be to own a N and B but I’ve neither the money or the inclination, hence change over, it suits our needs at mo. The caravans on this rally were there as long as we were so yes they do go off grid for 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
My mate uses free standing and sets it for the directions of the sunrise last thing at night and he used to charge a lot quicker than me, also may be they change their vans more often and take it to the next van ?
Are they better then?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Why do caravans not have the same off grid capacity as Mh?
Only in replying to your question insofar as caravans tend to be equipped differently from m/homes because the way they are used is different.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are they better then?
He definitely had his battery charged quicker than us in the morning with his free standing panel and us with a flat roof mounted one. How much was to do with free standing or better controls I don’t know. I do know his Mrs likes her tv so the battery would of been used.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
He definitely had his battery charged quicker than us in the morning with his free standing panel and us with a flat roof mounted one. How much was to do with free standing or better controls I don’t know. I do know his Mrs likes her tv so the battery would of been used.
What sort of battery setup did he have?

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Only in replying to your question insofar as caravans tend to be equipped differently from m/homes because the way they are used is different.
Majority of rally users, for the full term, roughly 3 wks, were caravans. I didn’t think to go about asking, cause things have changed in last 3 wks. Not having a go Spriddler but I need to get this sorted in my head, bugging me it is!🥴

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We rally with our Bailey Caravan with the C&CC and hardly ever have EHU , all we have is a 120 amp Lead acid battery a 150watt roof mounted solar panel and we sometimes use a 120watt freestanding panel .
I uprated the solar controller to a 30 amp MPPT and we use a Safefill 10kg cylinder with 7kg calor backup .
Even in dull weather the two panels bring the battery back up to full charge within 4-5 hours and we watch TV most nights 2-3 hours sometimes the heating is ALDE and is really efficient if a bit gas hungry.
Caravans can be just as self sufficient off grid as motorhomes with the right setup

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We rally with our Bailey Caravan with the C&CC and hardly ever have EHU , all we have is a 120 amp Lead acid battery a 150watt roof mounted solar panel and we sometimes use a 120watt freestanding panel .
I uprated the solar controller to a 30 amp MPPT and we use a Safefill 10kg cylinder with 7kg calor backup .
Even in dull weather the two panels bring the battery back up to full charge within 4-5 hours and we watch TV most nights 2-3 hours sometimes the heating is ALDE and is really efficient if a bit gas hungry
Ooher, a real user. Ok, you can have refillable for gas? That was my next query. How does that work?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Ooher, a real user. Ok, you can have refillable for gas? That was my next query.
Yes we have a Safefill cylinder a necessity as the Alde heating is gas hungry and when your heating the water , running the fridge and keeping the van warm in the cooler weather .
We use our caravan mostly in the UK and the Motorhome for abroad

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Where do you go for refills, how etc. We’ve an external filler on MH, not thought possible for caravan

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
We've just sold our Motorhome and bought a eriba caravan..still have the home conversation camper to pull it..
It came with a 100w roof mounted solar panel and 115ah leisure battery.. just done 4 days off grid with no probs...
Up to 13.6 volts by 9.30am .

No doubt free standing panels would work better but too much agro for me ..

Most caravaners stay on serviced sites plugged in so no need for solar...if this eriba never had it already fitted it would be the first job on my list...
Oh and its got a wind out awning.!

OFF-ROAD OFF-GRID 👌🏽

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can't see the problem in doing it yourself.... If you can fit batteries in a radio or torch it's not much different
Just as easy to swap a charger... Just swap wire for wire.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Majority of rally users, for the full term, roughly 3 wks, were caravans. I didn’t think to go about asking, cause things have changed in last 3 wks. Not having a go Spriddler but I need to get this sorted in my head, bugging me it is!🥴
Ta. Yes, I have (pre-Covid) parked in fields to attend many vintage vehicle shows and the caravan folk do seem to have a power deficiency. Most evenings we are serenaded by the gentle hum (?) of their generators. ;)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Where do you go for refills, how etc. We’ve an external filler on MH, not thought possible for caravan
59C3A033-2CD8-4930-9461-D0E9762D0F21.png

We fill at Morrison’s which have an agreement to allow Safefill cylinders to be filled
Or any LPG station which allow the filling of standalone cylinders
Safefill have a Facebook page with an interactive map where you can refill

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We've just sold our Motorhome and bought a eriba caravan..still have the home conversation camper to pull it..
It came with a 100w roof mounted solar panel and 115ah leisure battery.. just done 4 days off grid with no probs...
Up to 13.6 volts by 9.30am .

No doubt free standing panels would work better but too much agro for me ..

Most caravaners stay on serviced sites plugged in so no need for solar...if this eriba never had it already fitted it would be the first job on my list...
Oh and its got a wind out awning.!

OFF-ROAD OFF-GRID 👌🏽
Think that maybe a misconception, as said, majority of ralliers were caravans On our recent jaunt down to Dorset.

Neil s, is that you take a cylinder to Morrison's and they fill it up?

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Ta. Yes, I have (pre-Covid) parked in fields to attend many vintage vehicle shows and the caravan folk do seem to have a power deficiency. Most evenings we are serenaded by the gentle hum (?) of their generators. ;)
That’s what I want to avoid, can’t bear the things. True MHer really! Just circumstances you have to adapt

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Think that maybe a misconception, as said, majority of ralliers were caravans On our recent jaunt down to Dorset.

Neil s, is that you take a cylinder to Morrison's and they fill it up?
No you fill it up which is just like filling your Motorhome
Very easy and they cannot be overfilled as they cut off at 80%

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Do you take cylinder to Morrison’s petrol station and use lpg pump with cylinder on floor?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back