May 2017 - Msomi & Me, Brian Connell (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I proposed this book because I love books about other people's lives. I like being nosy. I'm one of those who loves the winter because people leave the curtains open and the lights on and you get a swift peek at the decor as you drive past! So to me, books like this are the same sort of thing. I came across this book on a Facebook group called I miss Africa and because I've been lucky enough to spend a fair amount of time there, this book was too good to miss. The author sadly died a few months ago. As for the story. I got a real sense of sitting round the campfire listening to his tales. It imbues the true spirit of Africa. It's hope, it's honesty and it's heartbreak. Along the way it imparts a little bush knowledge, and I quite simply, fell in love with Msomi, Robert and Brian. It wasn't chosen to educate, or because of its great narrative or the language used. It was chosen to entertain. I hope it did. I hope you were 'there'

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I thoroughly enjoyed this book too... except that I think the author should have finished the story sooner ... the last few chapters .. and this sounding deep .. were, to me, completely different to the rest of the book .. I felt like the author , understandably, was depressed or taking medication and feeling like those of us who suffer from depression who some days want to rant against the world or wallow... sorry, not explained that very well.. onto the book....

:) I LOVED his story telling ... I loved learning about the animals and their surroundings ... I wanted to be a friend of Msomi and wanted to sit around listening to the stories, smelling and hearing the sounds of the nightlife. I wanted to hug the leading players for their achievements to conservation ... and I could see what was going to happen with his partner .. it must have been devastating .. he didn't lose a partner he lost a whole way of life .. and the animals and people he respected and had grown to love. Think it was one of the loveliest stories about wildlife conservation that I have read. Thank you.

(Sorry if my first paragraph bit iffy ... don't k ow how to word what I felt) :( maybe just so sad for him...

PS having to downsize from decent house to probably a shack ... have decided early on in book want to call new house Msomi .. filled me with hope. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I didn't see it coming......complete punch to the gut for me. He has another book. Elephants are People Too. But it's not as good as Msomi and me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back