Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi

We currently have our twin rear wheel drive transit with 6 continental vanco van tyres on it.

We do 8-9000 miles a year but in summer we tend to do some long driving stints. Up to 600 miles in a day hasn’t been unheard of before.

I need to replace our tyres on age not wear. They are 6 years old or almost but still have loads of tread. Our size is 185 75 r16 which rules out any camper tyres and very little all season tyre choice.

I would quite like the snowflake/alpine symbol on the off chance we may venture into Germany or Austria in winter but it’s not a deal breaker we currently ski in France.

No real problems with current tyre but should we change to a maxxis all season van tyre??? This should perform better on wet grass too. Or should I replace like for like??

Any experts out there? Driving on a winter tyre puts me off due to the high mileage we do in France in the summer.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Have found Maxxis a good VFM tyre , dont see any real downside doing what you say . You will probably end up changing them much the same as the Continental .

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
How about these
Continental VancoWinter 2
185/75 R16C 104/102R

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Been looking at the Maxxis all season myself but would love to see one for real. The only thing I am not sure on is they say they have extra stiff sidewalls which is not good for a van with hard suspension.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
How would winter tyres be doing up to 600 mile a day (extreme case) in hot temperatures?

Is the wear on winter tyres going to be vastly more than summer tyres?

I am a little concerned re the maxxis. There’s possibly a Pirelli one? But other than that in our size it’s generally winter or summer as our only option.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Just had some reasonable prices for the Maxxis all season tyre from two different local garages. Both garages seem to recommend them and as I can’t get camper tyres I’m definately swaying bag towards Maxxis.

Anyone seen one know the max psi on them??

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'd full inspect all tyres, or get a professional too. If, as you've said, there is plenty of tread left, no de-lamination or side wall damage, I'd drive on and be happy, regardless of the fact they're almost 6 years old.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
How would winter tyres be doing up to 600 mile a day (extreme case) in hot temperatures?

Is the wear on winter tyres going to be vastly more than summer tyres?

I am a little concerned re the maxxis. There’s possibly a Pirelli one? But other than that in our size it’s generally winter or summer as our only option.

If you are driving 600 miles a day in extreme hot temperatures, winters are no good.

If it’s for a couple of weeks out of 50, no problem.

But fir that you need to run on summer or have two sets

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We have had them 9 months ish, and had no problems. Good grip on snow in the alps and we’re fine in the summer too!! They are also a good price!!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have General Eurovan AS 365 all season tyres on my van

Very happy with them & they certainly feel grippier in the wet

Worth checking the EU label for noise, grip & economy before you buy - Maxxis generally don't do so well on economy (fuel efficiency) as others ..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had Maxxis tyres on one of our cars, they were M+S tyres, but can’t remember the model. Anyway, after a couple of years the rear of the car started getting noisy, it sounded like a wheel bearing going so we had them checked and they were fine. I was pretty sure after that, that it was the tyres, the treads felt uneven if you ran your hand over them.
So, we changed both rears and the noise went.
Probably just a one off, but it put me off Maxxis tyres.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
32357564108_659bc955a0_z.jpg

Our cat Paisley supervising the fitting of the Maxxis all season 185 80 14 102/100R at Tiremark in Folkestone (£79 each tire, includes VAT and fitting). Called Tiremark in the morning and they had the tires ready in the afternoon. Many places I called needed a few days to get them from their supplier.

EU label says fuel efficiency E, wet grip B, noise 69 dB.

We were considering winter tires but didn't want to change tires twice a year, so settled on all season.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Our fuel economy has gone down but our EGR valve is playing up and needs replacing so hard to say how much more fuel the Maxxis use over our previous summer tyres! We will know more once we change the EGR valve!!

For us we use the van all year round and there’s no way we could store 6 or 7 tyres and keep swapping!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Our fuel economy has gone down but our EGR valve is playing up and needs replacing so hard to say how much more fuel the Maxxis use over our previous summer tyres! We will know more once we change the EGR valve!!

For us we use the van all year round and there’s no way we could store 6 or 7 tyres and keep swapping!

You can run winters all year round, we have TOYO H09 winters, a cracking tyre.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
You can run winters all year round, we have TOYO H09 winters, a cracking tyre.
I saw those on Oponeo for a bit cheaper than what I paid for the Maxxis. But I believe winters perform worse in the summer than summer tires, and that an all season tire is a compromise between the two?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Bridgestones advice on running winter tyres in the hot summer temperatures

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Bridgestones advice on running winter tyres in the hot summer temperatures

Just one quote from that article
''Remember that winter tyres are designed to last two to three winter seasons. By using them the entire year, they won’t last that long''

So they are saying that if you just use them in winter they are designed to last 2 to 3 winters, absolute poppycock unless you are doing mega miles.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Just one quote from that article
''Remember that winter tyres are designed to last two to three winter seasons. By using them the entire year, they won’t last that long''

So they are saying that if you just use them in winter they are designed to last 2 to 3 winters, absolute poppycock unless you are doing mega miles.

I agree with that. No way they should be useless after 3 seasons use. I read they are good till 4mm tread depth.

We use them on the car and our last set lasted about fourteen years - :xgrin:

No cracking etc and still looked good and passed inspection when the odd one needed taking off the rim due to corrosion leaks. :xThumb:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with that. No way they should be useless after 3 seasons use. I read they are good till 4mm tread depth.

We use them on the car and our last set lasted about fourteen years - :xgrin:

No cracking etc and still looked good and passed inspection when the odd one needed taking off the rim due to corrosion leaks. :xThumb:

Same here Mike, we use them all year round on both cars and the motorhome, no problems at all on either and they last, Toyo H09 winters for the van.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hankook M&S .. quiet as a quiet thing, very good wear rate, will paddle their way out of deep mud, and very competitively priced

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
How long have the tyres been on the vehicle? My understanding is that the tyres have a 5 year shelf life, after which they are then good for five years in service. Replacing just because the date stamp indicates 5 years is something tyre suppliers would love you to do: Refuse some new ones that are 2 years old and they will quickly revert to them having a 5 year shelf life.
As stated, inspect the tyres, or have them inspected by someone without a vested interest. (Kwikfit need not apply)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Hankook M&S .. quiet as a quiet thing, very good wear rate, will paddle their way out of deep mud, and very competitively priced

OP plans to drive in Germany and (subject to fitment date) the Germans requires 'snowflake' symbol rather than m&s symbol on the tyres

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back