Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Well was going to part ex my van due to beds being high above garage but the extra dosh to be just for single beds ain’t worth the money anyway.

Im adding a few extras like air rear suspension hopefully this weekend and also change my roof vent for a Maxxair remote controlled fan hence my next question.

I have a 2009 Autocruise Starblazer XL and the current fan is manual push up bar type so would you think at the time of manufacture they would have left provisions for upgrade vents like this electric wise.

Or is it the case of picking up the nearest feed from the nearest light to power the vent?

Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well was going to part ex my van due to beds being high above garage but the extra dosh to be just for single beds ain’t worth the money anyway.

Im adding a few extras like air rear suspension hopefully this weekend and also change my roof vent for a Maxxair remote controlled fan hence my next question.

I have a 2009 Autocruise Starblazer XL and the current fan is manual push up bar type so would you think at the time of manufacture they would have left provisions for upgrade vents like this electric wise.

Or is it the case of picking up the nearest feed from the nearest light to power the vent?

Thanks.
I haven't had one of those but for the age I doubt there'd be wiring in place already, so yes connect to a suitable nearby wire.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I love mine easy to fit hard to get the old stuff off. Great system get the vent cover with light it’s cool and makes it look factory 👍😷

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I love mine easy to fit hard to get the old stuff off. Great system get the vent cover with light it’s cool and makes it look factory 👍😷
Getting one of these shortly.Re the roof blind how is the light operated,does it come on with the fan or is there a separate switch.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I fitted one to my Adria I found it prewired, assume the wires were there incase air on was fitted? But only a 12volt supply.

Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Brilliant bit of kit fitted one in my Autotrail last year, expensive but worth every penny, especially for the wife’s time of life with hot flushes, on extract it cools the van really well.

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks all, yes cracking bit of kit cost a few quid but the videos and reviews I’ve read outweighs the cost factor.

Hopefully this weekend I’ll be fitting it (weather dependent) have the bits and bobs so as they say in the window manufacturing world “Crack On”.

Regards.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Can I ask where you managed to find one?

I've been looking for the last month or so and stock is rather sparse at the moment 😢

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Can’t remember where I had ours from but loads of places have them in stock.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just keep on looking.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can’t remember where I had ours from but loads of places have them in stock.

If you click on each option (white/smoke/clear) there are actually none in stock at all unfortunately.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can I ask those who have them fitted how much light they let in compared to the original roof vent? I've been considering some sort of fan for our MH as hubby likes to open the vent when cooking and I ruddy freeze so having something that would extract (and thus not allow cold air to come in) to hopefully solve this issue but I don't want to make the kitchen/corridor area darker which some of the cheaper type fans do.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
when cooking and I ruddy freeze so having something that would extract (and thus not allow cold air to come in)
That can't happen. For it to extract air has to enter from somewhere otherwise you create a vacuum & the van would gradually collapse if the fan was capable.

Mine is white it doesn't really let in anymore light than the Fiamma vent did.But it must let in some light as I wouldn't be able to see as I have no windows.:giggle:

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
So what about wiring the fan up, like me I have no idea if the van has cable in place for a fan or run a feed from the nearest light.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So what about wiring the fan up, like me I have no idea if the van has cable in place for a fan or run a feed from the nearest light.
If you strip out the inner frame & cover strips of the existing vent you should be able to see whether there is any wiring or trunking present in the existing roof void. It may even mean the outer part of the vent has to be removed also if it has a frame entering the van.
If there isn't anything then you have to work out a way of poking the cables through the void/insulation between the ceiling & outer skin until you reach a cupboard & then how to get it out or surface mount it.
Me, i'd drilla small hole inside a cupboard through the ceiling skin only then force a stiff cable wiring mouse through the insulation towards the roof vent opening until it appears. Then you can drag a live & neutral through from the cupboard to the fan . How you get power to the cables in the cupboard or get them back to the fse board is another problem but should be easily sorted.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I wasn’t lucky but I took a feed of the 12v to the fridge freezer. It’s a constant 12 volt feed (Hymer) so it works with Hab electronics turned off. ( good for auto mode keeping the van cool when out and about. 👍😷

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Not to far away is a light fitting and only about 4ft max, might take the feed off that as the fan will only be used when we have power anyway.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Just looked at the label on the box and this is where I had mine from but non in stock.

It does state on all those different models that you should "pre-order as we will be the first company to have them when the next lot arrives mid to end of May"

Not to far away is a light fitting and only about 4ft max, might take the feed off that as the fan will only be used when we have power anyway.
It is only 12v & doesn't draw a lot . If solar is available not even worth worrying.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back