Maxxair Maxfan (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2019
Billingham UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650C
Exp
I'm looking at fitting a Maxxair maxfan in my 2018 Pilote P650C in the skylight above the bed with a remote control.

Firstly has anyone had one of these fitted and are the any good, secondly does anybody know where I can get one fitted, I live in Billingham Near Middlesbrough.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I fitted one last year and really rate it. I wouldn’t want to be with out it now. It’s not perfect as is noisy when opening, and closing, but the fan it’s self is quiet. It also blocks light during the day, but allows light in during the night, so next time I would have the none clear top version.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have one and I splashed out for the internal frame kit which has LEDs and blinds fitted, The fan is well worth the cost, you can clear the air in an enclosed can within seconds after a good curry 😜 last summer it was a godsend for keeping us cooler as the air flow can be cranked up, but if you have it on full fan it is a little noisy. If you plan on going abroad to warmer climes and don’t want A/C then this is a great piece of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I'm on the 3rd van I've fitted one.
One replaced a 240v ac unit and did a few miles in hot climates, worked perfectly for my needs.
High initial outlay but imo well worth it.

I Reularly take down the circular fly screen and cleans and dry thoroughly, had one showing signs of rust so treated and sprayed. Sorted.

On all fitted power came from solar fed batteries so free to use on low 30% or lower (silent) through a hot night.

Looking forward to actually being able to get out to use it on present van

Sourced the last couple from Rainbow conversions they had offers on

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted one last year and really rate it. I wouldn’t want to be with out it now. It’s not perfect as is noisy when opening, and closing, but the fan it’s self is quiet. It also blocks light during the day, but allows light in during the night, so next time I would have the none clear top version.
Did you go for the "tint" version?
That's the one I'm thinking fitting ready for this season but if you say that it doesn't actually let that much daylight in I'll get the "smoke" one instead

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
That's the one I'm thinking fitting ready for this season but if you say that it doesn't actually let that much daylight in I'll get the "smoke" one instead
If you get the blind frame, Then I would go for the clear. Even with the blind closed you do have fresh venting.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I went for clear with the inner frame with blind. The blind works ok for blocking light, but it you have a air tight van as you close the door it jumps of the slide and needs pushing with the finger back in. Not evenly impressed with the blind but it does the job, just.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I went for the clear and the internal blind. No Lights.

It allows light through but very little compared to the Heki it replaced. Also find the internal blind is clunky in use, and generally ”cheap” it blocks the air flow, and doesn’t block the light like the other blinds that cover the standard roof lights. So it’s a bit mmmm for me. If doing it again I would just go for the solid cover and do away with the blind, have no light showing at night, and no air restrictions.
This is a harsh review. It’s still a great thing, and something I would fit again.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Very pleased with ours, had it professionally fitted but that included removing the aircon unit we never used - I couldn't have managed it myself. I bought the smoked lid plus the internal blind/lights - there was no light before so although it's not a "sunshine roof" there is a little bit extra. It's over the cooking area so using it as an extractor is ideal - the smoke alarm no longer goes off when I'm cooking breakfast. The blind is a bit flimsy but the LED lights come in handy.

You don't need to close it for travel, plus you can leave it "open" for ventilation without the fan even if it rains.

If you're replacing an existing vent (400mm square but they do a smaller version) it's a straightforward job, only possible problem is running the 12v supply - my man just pulled through the existing 240v cable!

And I sold the old aircon unit for what I paid for the Maxxair!

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We have had one in our van for at least 2 years and have it running most of the time. Wouldn't be without it now tbh.

We have the clear with led blind and would order the same again.

For most of the year it keeps the van well ventilated and cool in the summer (perfect with a dog). On the odd night where it's too hot to sleep, whack it on full, insert earplugs, sleep like a baby.

It's quiet enough to sleep with on, on low. On full it's a bit noisy, but really blows a gale. One of the best things we've fitted.

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Purchased the fan remote version and the light screen as well. Not fitted yet not had the weather plus if I could find someone to do it for us I would.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yep I've had one a couple of years. works a treat. Mine is the solid white top & I have no problem with light at night. straight swop for the Fiamma 40x40 vent that I fitted previously. I usually leave it on the auto setting @26º except when travelling as I found it was dragging the cab air con out :LOL:

Sourced the last couple from Rainbow conversions they had offers on
Price has risen a fair bit I see ?

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It’s amazing how much air it moves, for very little noise. You can hear the fan tone change when you open a window or door. We run ours at night, and anything up to about 30% is quiet enough not to hear even at night. Crack the windows open beside the bed and it draws nice cool fresh air in across the bed 👌🏻👌🏻

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Watching his thread with interest as our last Omni fan failed pretty quick and I expect the one in our new van to fail rather quickly so this sounds to be a good replacement.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2020
Frome, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL (LHD)
Exp
Since 2005
I installed one a couple of years ago and it has been really good. However unless you have splashed out on the internal frame kit (too expensive for me) it does loose a lot of heat in the winter. To combat this I removed the fly screen (4 clips) and had a piece of thick fabric covering the hole, then placed the flyscreen back - it makes a huge difference and takes seconds to insert/remove. If I had a choice I would install another system in the rear and have one sucking air in and one blowing air out thereby having constant air circulating around the van - better than aircon!

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We live ours but have to admit that we haven’t travelled abroad where you would get most benefit. We eat a lot of fish cooked in the van and the Maxxfan clears the air in second.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
We live ours but have to admit that we haven’t travelled abroad where you would get most benefit. We eat a lot of fish cooked in the van and the Maxxfan clears the air in second.

Especially when cooking kippers in microwave soon gets rid of lingering smells (y)

Bet this would be a challenge though?

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have only had 'fantastic fans'------ every one has been excellent---- we did fit one with rain auto closing and remote----- with the maxair cover that is not necessary ----- I have not compared the price of the two??

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We have only had 'fantastic fans'------ every one has been excellent---- we did fit one with rain auto closing and remote----- with the maxair cover that is not necessary ----- I have not compared the price of the two??
No rain sensor required as the air is taken from under the hood, if that makes sense, so what ever the weather it work. Which is ideal as it’s often the wet days when the other options (roof vents, windows, doors) aren’t good for allowing air in. It’s also great know that if your leaving dog in there it will get airflow, and it doesn’t matter if it rains.

Upvote 0
Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
I have been reading this thread with interest as I would consider having one fitted to my new MH when I collect it next month (not actually new, 2016 swift Rio 310).
I really want it to keep my dog cool. One question I have, can you have it running when on the move. The MH has cab AC but the habitation area doesn't benefit from this.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have been reading this thread with interest as I would consider having one fitted to my new MH when I collect it next month (not actually new, 2016 swift Rio 310).
I really want it to keep my dog cool. One question I have, can you have it running when on the move. The MH has cab AC but the habitation area doesn't benefit from this.
It can run when on the move, we do this with no issues.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes you can but I don5 think it will work as well, just make you AC less efficient.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On extract it will evacuate the hot air which rises , and may pull a bit of cool air in from the cab. Certainly worth a try.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back