Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Hi folks,

I'm fairly technically adept when it comes to anything involving screws and bolts, but the TV system in my motorhome is a bit of a mystery to me.

We have a Maxview Seeker Wireless system that was installed already in 2011. We bought the motorhome from the previous owners in 2017 and knew at the time the dish didn't lock onto a signal. It didn't bother us because we rarely watch TV anyway and were happy to just use the DVD player occasionally. Now, 3 years on, we are thinking of selling the motorhome and I'm trying to get the system working.

After changing the Low Noise Block and checking the connections the dish now locks onto the Astra 28.2 satellite very easily and quickly. The problem I'm having is the signal doesn't reach the TV.

This is an old system (I'm told) with a separate TV and receiver box (apparently more modern systems have the receiver/TV combined). There is a white cable coming from the Seeker control box into a Grey Receiver box, which then connects to the TV via a scart. The receiver-TV connection works because it displays all of the controls and I can run the autotune etc. But no channels are found as there is no signal strength reaching the grey box.

My belief is that there must be a signal since the seeker control box locks onto the satellite on the first spin. However, I don't know how to check if the receiver box is just broken (not been used for years), or if it's the Maxview control box not putting out a signal in the first place?

Any thoughts would be welcome. I'm happy to buy a new TV or receiver box if necessary but don't want to buy anything unnecessarily.

Sorry to be so naive on these issues. We haven't really watched TV for more than a decade so I'm really quite in the dark about how modern systems work.

Many thanks,

Dan

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Scart is an analogue connection....is your satellite receiver digital or analogue, or does the ‘receiver box’ only output analogue, converting the digital signal from the satellite?:unsure:

What is the model number of your Maxview system and boxes.....?

OP
OP
Esther_99

Esther_99

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for the reply. I have scanned digital and analog and neither finds any channels. The issue seems to be a total lack of signal.

I can press the 'info' button on my remote and it displays signal strength and quality at the receiver. These displays fluctuate around very low figures regardless of whether the satellite dish is even up or not.

The Free-to-air receiver is MXL020 model number.

Not sure about the black control box part. I can unscrew it and look underneath if necessary. I have updated the control box yesterday, with the update from the Maxview website which all went as described.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Something like one of these might confirm if there is a signal getting through.

Or if you live anywhere near Plymouth you can borrow mine. :)

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Maxiview did an update you had to down load on to a stick and put into your system about 3 or 4 years ago (might be longer) i remember doing ours

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Do you have the manuals for the receiver, etc?
If not, Google the model number, or use this

https://www.maxview.co.uk%2Fproduct-support%2Fmobile%2Fsatellite-recievers%2FFree-To-Air-Satellite-Receiver&usg=AOvVaw0r3YeAoNsbuyhrfemH0bwg

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Nothing to do with tuning your using a scart lead just look on the tv handset for AV or source and choose scart or scart 1 or 2 which ever one you plugged into.

Seeker to control box and white led from there to sat receiver and from sat receiver via scart to tv. Seeker finds satellite ok but nothing on tv because your not on the right source on the tv so you can’t see the sat receiver info on the screen.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If the system is locking on, its locked on. The decoder decodes and sends picture to the TV doesn't matter whether it is SCART or HDMI

So long as the TV shows the set up etc for the decoder

My guess is that the satellite is locked onto a different satellite than the decoder is set to, so if your absolutely certain that the Maxview is locked on to Astra2 then make sure the decoder is set to Astra2

OP
OP
Esther_99

Esther_99

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for all of the replies. The TV shows the decoder set up functions and it is set to Astra2.

I have a feeling the decoder is faulty. I will purchase a signal detector to confirm the seeker control box output is powerful. If I can confirm a strong signal is going into the decoder and it's showing no signal on the setup page, I guess that confirms it's hardware.

Reactions: DBK

Bobs question

Free Member
Mar 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi folks,

I'm fairly technically adept when it comes to anything involving screws and bolts, but the TV system in my motorhome is a bit of a mystery to me.

We have a Maxview Seeker Wireless system that was installed already in 2011. We bought the motorhome from the previous owners in 2017 and knew at the time the dish didn't lock onto a signal. It didn't bother us because we rarely watch TV anyway and were happy to just use the DVD player occasionally. Now, 3 years on, we are thinking of selling the motorhome and I'm trying to get the system working.

After changing the Low Noise Block and checking the connections the dish now locks onto the Astra 28.2 satellite very easily and quickly. The problem I'm having is the signal doesn't reach the TV.

This is an old system (I'm told) with a separate TV and receiver box (apparently more modern systems have the receiver/TV combined). There is a white cable coming from the Seeker control box into a Grey Receiver box, which then connects to the TV via a scart. The receiver-TV connection works because it displays all of the controls and I can run the autotune etc. But no channels are found as there is no signal strength reaching the grey box.

My belief is that there must be a signal since the seeker control box locks onto the satellite on the first spin. However, I don't know how to check if the receiver box is just broken (not been used for years), or if it's the Maxview control box not putting out a signal in the first place?

Any thoughts would be welcome. I'm happy to buy a new TV or receiver box if necessary but don't want to buy anything unnecessarily.

Sorry to be so naive on these issues. We haven't really watched TV for more than a decade so I'm really quite in the dark about how modern systems work.

Many thanks,

Dan

Bobs question

Free Member
Mar 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Can any one help? I have a Maxview satellite seeker fitted, and last year it worked, but checking it a week ago, it rises to a vertical position and stops? it doesn't slew to find anything. Nothing has touched it over the winter months, and I have never had a problem in the 5 years it has been fitted. Anyone can advise what I can do? Thanks, Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can any one help? I have a Maxview satellite seeker fitted, and last year it worked, but checking it a week ago, it rises to a vertical position and stops? it doesn't slew to find anything. Nothing has touched it over the winter months, and I have never had a problem in the 5 years it has been fitted. Anyone can advise what I can do? Thanks, Bob
Maybe been another Maxview update.
If it doesn't have the update it won't see the new signal data and doesn't know what to look for.
Have a look on the Maxview website.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I had this problem , it turned out that moisture had got into the base of the satellite and was interfering with the connections in the two multi-plugs
A fairly easy fix , I unbolted the dish from the baseplate carefully turned it over which exposes the two multi plugs and either a single or double satellite cable model dependant which are enclosed within two plastic covers
I sprayed them all with switch cleaner connected them all back up and it worked
Maxview advised me how to go about it

judith a p

Free Member
Jul 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
swift bomero 630
Thank you for the reply. I have scanned digital and analog and neither finds any channels. The issue seems to be a total lack of signal.

I can press the 'info' button on my remote and it displays signal strength and quality at the receiver. These displays fluctuate around very low figures regardless of whether the satellite dish is even up or not.

The Free-to-air receiver is MXL020 model number.

Not sure about the black control box part. I can unscrew it and look underneath if necessary. I have updated the control box yesterday, with the update from the Maxview website which all went as described.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back