maxview SATELLITE dish , help (1 Viewer)

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
i have just fitted a SATELLITE SYSTEM B2590 on my rv and i have spent about 2 hours trying to set it up with joy
has any one got any tips to set it up????????

S

stagman

Deleted User
i have just fitted a SATELLITE SYSTEM B2590 on my rv and i have spent about 2 hours trying to set it up with joy
has any one got any tips to set it up????????

Make sure the van is as level as possible it does make it a lot easier for setting up. Take a compass outside a few meters away from your van if possible .Back into the van set your outer dial to north .Crank the dish to 22deg and line it up with Astra 2 .I sometimes line up first with Astra ! as this is a stronger signal and it gives me a guide to where 2 is:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Connect everything up. On your sky box select services, then No4 then No6
You should now be showing satellite info

Raise dish till you judge it to be vertical (around the 23 mark). Then start with it pointing South (we always look around for other dishes e.g. on nearby house) This will give you a start point. Then from South move it very slowly a bit at a time waiting before trying a bit more towards the East.
If you watch your tv screen you are looking for 07d4 once you have this fine tune up or down (by moving the dish) or side to side until you show locked on. You will need at least 60% signal strength and at least 50% signal quality. Bob's your Auntie.:thumb:

Hope this helps. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Make sure the van is as level as possible it does make it a lot easier for setting up. Take a compass outside a few meters away from your van if possible .Back into the van set your outer dial to north .Crank the dish to 22deg and line it up with Astra 2 .I sometimes line up first with Astra ! as this is a stronger signal and it gives me a guide to where 2 is:thumb:

Hi I have a 2590 on my RV. Have you got the maxview tuner. I have and when pressing the info button then no 1 key you get a tuning tone and bars on screen to assist. This is much the same as a separate meter.
Otherwise set up as Stagman says, but re check every connection as they do pull out easily

Larry

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Prabably stating the obvious, but have you got clear line of site to the south?

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Getting a signal with a Sky box is very very difficult because it has an inbuilt delay meaning that your dish could be in a correct position but before it registers you will have moved it. Its a bit of a nightmare really. However, if you use a free to air box such as those in Maplin's for about £50 the signal will register immediately as soon as the dish is in the correct position. If it takes longer than 30 seconds I would be surprised.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
we had a Maxview on our last caravan and if the 220v sky box had been turned off for an hour or so it could be up to 5 mins from turning on before it would register any signals - always turned it on and finished set up then cup of tea then try the sky dish - always used a sat finder though can save a lot of frustration.:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i never saw any mention in the OP about having a skybox !

make sure ALL the coax connections are good.

enter the menu on the reciever and ensure its set to 'astra 2'...if its set to any other sat (hotbird etc)you wont get a signal from the astra sat.

ensure the van is level both fore and aft and side to side.

set the elevation to 22deg as a start point.

point the outer ring to north using a compass..then leave it there..doesnt need to be dead accurate...just very close.

turn the dish so the arrow is within the yellow 'astra' mark on the bezel and turn very slowly until you get a signal.

fine tune by turning it very slowly until the picture appears then goes again...then turn it half way between the two points and also adjusting the elevation the same way.

best and easiest is to use a satfinder with bleeper and leds.

Last edited:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Papajohn wrote:

"i never saw any mention in the OP about having a skybox !"

True. I assumed that because getting a signal with any other kind of box is so easy and that the op must have therefore had a skybox. Apologies if I'm wrong.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Papajohn wrote:

"i never saw any mention in the OP about having a skybox !"

True. I assumed that because getting a signal with any other kind of box is so easy and that the op must have therefore had a skybox. Apologies if I'm wrong.

:thumb: no probs.....

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would get one of these as others have said...............There is also a compass type for about a fiver

Satellite Finder

To receive a clear picture, the dish must have the correct Vertical (Azimuth) and Horizontal Alignment.
Vertical alignment, is the angle of elevation above the horizon whereas the Horizontal alignment of a dish, is the compass bearing the dish will need to point.
Correct dish alignment can be helped with the use of the following item:
• Essential for locating your digital satellite signal.
• Designed to help align the satellite dish to the required satellite, though a series of audible tones and LED lights
• Features a signal level control knob, which can be adjusted to fine tune satellite signal for different reception levels.
• Designed for use with all satellite systems

Attachments

• satfinder.jpg
    satfinder.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 16

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I would get one of these as others have said...............There is also a compass type for about a fiver

Satellite Finder

To receive a clear picture, the dish must have the correct Vertical (Azimuth) and Horizontal Alignment.
Vertical alignment, is the angle of elevation above the horizon whereas the Horizontal alignment of a dish, is the compass bearing the dish will need to point.
Correct dish alignment can be helped with the use of the following item:
Essential for locating your digital satellite signal.
• Designed to help align the satellite dish to the required satellite, though a series of audible tones and LED lights
• Features a signal level control knob, which can be adjusted to fine tune satellite signal for different reception levels.
• Designed for use with all satellite systems

A sat finder is not an essential piece of equipment although I'm sure that a lot of people find them helpful.

We have never used a sat finder and if it were to take me more than a few minutes to tune in I would be worried.

The first time we tried to tune in it took all day and in the end we gave up. Later that night I popped out to the van and had it tuned in inside a minute. Never had a problem since (touch wood).

Jim
:Smile:

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
If you watch your tv screen you are looking for 07d4 once you have this fine tune up or down (by moving the dish) or side to side until you show locked on. You will need at least 60% signal strength and at least 50% signal quality. Bob's your Auntie.

I hate tuning a SKY box.
After four months on the road and even with a compass and meter, we have only successfully got a sky signal twice.

Why?
Point the dish at the floor and watch as the signal strength fails to register any change!!!

On site, my new European neighbours with their "I'll lock onto any satellite dish you wish for" receivers get theirs lined up before the kettle finishes boiling!
Sky receivers believe there is no other god than AstraD at 28.2 degrees and will not offer any help until i successfully point the dish at THAT satellite, or give up.

Rant over, i hope this was still on topic

:whatthe:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I hate tuning a SKY box.
After four months on the road and even with a compass and meter, we have only successfully got a sky signal twice.

Why?
Point the dish at the floor and watch as the signal strength fails to register any change!!!

On site, my new European neighbours with their "I'll lock onto any satellite dish you wish for" receivers get theirs lined up before the kettle finishes boiling!
Sky receivers believe there is no other god than AstraD at 28.2 degrees and will not offer any help until i successfully point the dish at THAT satellite, or give up.

Rant over, i hope this was still on topic

:whatthe:

I agree, buy a cheap receiver and enjoy free TV anywhere.. :thumb:
never had a problem finding a satellite.. be it Nile Sat, Hotbird or Astra etc ..

Met a chap in Spain with a Sky box and Oyster dish .. he spend days trying to tune in.. I tried to help but gave up, he never was successful , meanwhile we were watching TV from a cheap domestic dish and box I bought from a Spanish supermarket .. about €90

Still use the same box with the Maxview Cranky :Cool:

jim

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
I must admit if you have not used a sat finder before I would not bother as you could be on any satellite all it needs is practice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back