Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
This might be a daft question.
I've had a Maxview dome fitted to my van. I've used it every time we have been away with my Sky box from home with no issues on Astra2N setting on the control box.
On the control box it also has Astra2S , Astra1 , Hotbird , Sirius , Astra3A and Hispsat
My question is what are these other satellites , will my Sky box decode these satellites or do I need another sat receiver , I'm driving through France in October if I lose "Sky" can I search on these other satellites for English programs

Cheers Paul

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
On the control box it also has Astra2S , Astra1 , Hotbird , Sirius , Astra3A and Hispsat
My question is what are these other satellites ,

There are different satellites, in different locations, serving different areas and with different channels.

Astra 2S is how your positioner refers to the UK TV group of satellites, in the same way Astra 2N does. They are not actual satellites names - we are only up to Astra 2E and G! - but the S and N refer to beams on the satellites North beam and South beam.

If you want to see what are on other satellites, trawl thought lyngsat.com

will my Sky box decode these satellites or do I need another sat receiver
No.
A Sky UK box will only decode Sky UK channels with its SKy UK card.
And it is pointless in trying to add other channels to the SKy box from other satellites, best to get a basic free to air receiver for this - although if you want English there is not much available on other satellites - Sky News Int, BBC World News, CNN, Bloomberg....

EG Astra 1 carries channels from German, France, Italy, Spain....most are encrypted and require the relevant card and subscription.

But there are a few gems - Sport1 on Astra 1 at 19 east - sometimes does sport that is on UK Pay TV...in german - and there is also currently a Free Eurosport on there also - but in German.

I'm driving through France in October if I lose "Sky" can I search on these other satellites for English programs
No matter what happens you should not lose ALL Sky channels, as it is expected many of them will be on a "European" beam, so easy to receive, much like they are today...

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Thanks for that reply
So keep with what I have and as long as I don't go to far south I should be able to pick up most of the Sky package

Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
English TV

In a nutshell do not venture too far south or you will loose your channels due to the dish size in the MaxiDome.

We are currently in France down in the south on the Mediterranean coast and we have lost all our Uk TV Channels due to the change in Footprint of Astra 28.2E.

Most people seem to have a 60 cm dish minimum to at least receive some channels via various receivers including Sky Boxes.

We intend buying a bigger dish once we go further south to Spain for the Winter

Good Luck and Happy Travels:Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
SoapyTutti;841802[HI said:
]In a nutshell do not venture too far south or you will loose your channels due to the dish size in the MaxiDome.

We are currently in France down in the south on the Mediterranean coast and we have lost all our Uk TV Channels due to the change in Footprint of Astra 28.2E.[/HI]

Most people seem to have a 60 cm dish minimum to at least receive some channels via various receivers including Sky Boxes.

We intend buying a bigger dish once we go further south to Spain for the Winter

Good Luck and Happy Travels:Smile:

We were in the South of France last month, we had all our channels on Sky.
We have a 30cm RoadPro Dome.

You may find you have lost your channels because the Sky box is set to look for a default transponder which is on the Astra N (North) Beam. As you get further south in France the N beam transponder will not be received. so the Sky Box will tell you "no signal"...

You have to go into the "secret" menu in "Services" and change the default transponder to one which broadcasts on the Astra S (South) beam. Then the Sky box will come back to life.
We also have a mini 12V HD receiver so we can use that on other satellites if necessary.

We continued down to Barcelona and then across Northern Spain and maintained almost all of the UK channels.:thumb:

If you also go to Nilesat (7 West), you can get quite a few channels in English including News and Movies, MTV, etc. We were watching Nilesat in Casablanca two weeks ago...:Smile:

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back