evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thinking about buying a crankup. Got a few questions.

Does anyone use a satellite finder with a crankup?

Is it easy to find the Sky satellite without one? Don't particularly want to bend down in a cupboard connecting/disconnecting the sat finder due to bad back.

Is it possible to get a signal about 60 miles South of Barcelona?

What about water leaks? Got a ridged panel roof and have to park on my steeply sloping drive. Told its OK to fix a crankup on a ridged roof but I'm afraid the water will get underneath the fixing plate and leak through the 32mm crankhandle hole. I'm looking for reassurance here as I've been plagued by water leaks in my home and in many of the vehicles I've owned.

Thanks.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Is it possible to get a signal about 60 miles South of Barcelona?

:Cool: We could get a signal on our 60cm dish 30 miles south of Barcelona. Any further and it may struggle depending on the weather conditions.

It can be easier with a Meter/Buzzer. But not impossible. Just takes a little longer. Provided you know where you are and where you should be pointing the dish. The rest is just patience.
BTW. We have a Winguard which is similar to the Maxview. :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
with a compass it's possible.

Better spend say £10 on ebay and get a meter.

Yes it will pick up UK station there.

They are in my view the bees knees

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Snelly on here & the other side sells em / swears by them :winky: says he's cheaper than anyone :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: don't have any reason to doubt him only read praise :thumb:
terry

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi evans88,
i use a maxview crankup and its one of the better things i'v bought for the van.:thumb::thumb:

you should have no probs with water ingress so long as you make sure all the ridges are filled with sikaflex plus the handle hole has its own seal as well.

as for the signal meter.......i use one and i just leave it in-line all the time. :thumb:
once its locked on to the satallite (usually a couple of minutes work) i just turn the sensitivity knob down low so the audible warning doesnt sound. yes...you still have to adjust the sensitivity to get the best signal but at least you dont have to connect it every time.
you can lock-on without a meter but it could take a long time as the adjustments are very small and there is a slight delay between moving and checking signal.:Sad:

the satalite is 26ft tall by 7ft wide but is over 100miles up so it aint that easy to find.:whatthe:

Spain..........no idea, havent used it abroad yet.

go for it....:thumb::thumb:

john.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just a quick word on sealing,metal to metal =sikaflex / metal to plastic - f/glass you will need either low modulas silicon or better still l/m silicon & GP Mastic to form a double seal ie outer silicon & a inner seal of mastic sort of belt & braces :thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

nomad

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1982
Hi evans88,
I use my Maxview in Spain and Portugal and can always receive Sky news and BBC parliament etc, but as for channels 1-4 they are mainly not available past Barcelona without a larger dish except for the Lisbon area and northern Portugal where its sometimes possible to get them. I think Channel 5 is possible elsewhere but I never watch it. I always leave my meter inline but its just an analog and makes no noise.
Colin

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, as far as I know you get a meter with them, I certainly did. As above I leave it in line but turned down. On approaching a site we watch the local houses or the wardens accomodation. see which way their dish is pointing and you have a good start point. Often there is someone on site with a dish. It doesn't matter what kind of dish It's the same satelitte. As long as there are no trees too near the line of sight you'll be fine, dead easy. :thumb:

OP
OP
evans88

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks very much for the helpful replies. I did'nt realise you could leave the satellite meter inline. That's great news.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Thanks very much for the helpful replies. I did'nt realise you could leave the satellite meter inline. That's great news.

You may find a small loss of signal which in the UK won't be a problem but could make a difference in S Spain. I always disconect mine when down there.

As an alternative another sat. reciever like Silvercrest which I find much easier to use. It gives you almost instantanious signal strength, much faster than a Sky box. They are sold by Lidl from time to time

OP
OP
evans88

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Keith. Is the Silvercrest Lidl box "free to air"? If so what programmes can you receive on it.

I'm attracted to Sky because I've got an unused spare Pace Box which I can use with my card from my home HD box. (MY HD box is too big to fit in my van.)

I know I won't be able to receive the premium channels I understand that the freesat channels will be available. However, if there is something better I'm all ears.

All replies so far have been very helpful. Thanks.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I got mine at one of the M/H shows. Love it!!!!. I have an audible sat finder left in line, buzzer has on off switch. but I have always found it easy to set up. Going South in two weeks and cant wait to see how far South I can get a signal.:ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Keith. Is the Silvercrest Lidl box "free to air"? If so what programmes can you receive on it.

I'm attracted to Sky because I've got an unused spare Pace Box which I can use with my card from my home HD box. (MY HD box is too big to fit in my van.)

I know I won't be able to receive the premium channels I understand that the freesat channels will be available. However, if there is something better I'm all ears.

All replies so far have been very helpful. Thanks.

The Silvercrest box is a fully functional sat. rec. that can get not only Astra 1 & 2 but other satellites like Hot Bird Eutilsat etc. I use mine linked to my Sky box ( it has a second F connector) so I can tune with the Silvercrest then switch to Sky if I want their channels as I have a subscription card, though no premium channels. The Silvercrest will get some English channels on other sats but they are mostly Foreign ..... but on long dark Spanish nights anything can be interesting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We get some Sky down to SW Portugal on one of the suitcase sets. :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
I got mine at one of the M/H shows. Love it!!!!. I have an audible sat finder left in line, buzzer has on off switch. but I have always found it easy to set up. Going South in two weeks and cant wait to see how far South I can get a signal.:ROFLMAO:

You will get a signal all the way to the SW of Europe, but only if you change to the South beam on a Sky box.

The best place to get info. is at HERE

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
(Hi, as far as I know you get a meter with them)

sorry but you only get a compass in the kit ::bigsmile:

(Hi Snelly on here & the other side sells em / swears by them says he's cheaper than anyone)

Sorry again but he is not, ::bigsmile:

Fitting a crankup to a ribbed roof is a doodle if you have fitted over 30 in the last year.

I would go for the free to air 12v box from maplins with a built in sat finder makes finding the satellite a doddle and you can link through to your sky box.

regards

nick

OP
OP
evans88

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Nick.

Thanks for that. Which one of these Maplin boxes below do you recommend sat finder wise. I would prefer one that is linked to the mains. This is all very confusing for my non technical mind.

Link Removed

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Yep as above I have the 12V Maplin jobbie with built in audiable tuner. Great bit of kit and not much bigger than a VHS tape.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The Pace Sky box is one of the best Sky boxs you can get for poor reception areas and it is also very fast to react.

I Use a Pace mini box as its 12V and with Pace boxs you can use a Sky card for all the mixes even if its not paired to the box.

Which means that if you can see the TV from where you adjust the dish you should be ok without a meter. I have a meter and very rarely use it. Yust moover the dish rom East to South very slow and as long as your elevation is ok you will get Sky first time. That's all I do and most of the time I can get a good signal in leass than a minute.

Richard...

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
(Hi, as far as I know you get a meter with them)

sorry but you only get a compass in the kit ::bigsmile:

(Hi Snelly on here & the other side sells em / swears by them says he's cheaper than anyone)

Sorry again but he is not, ::bigsmile:

Fitting a crankup to a ribbed roof is a doodle if you have fitted over 30 in the last year.

I would go for the free to air 12v box from maplins with a built in sat finder makes finding the satellite a doddle and you can link through to your sky box.

regards
nick

got a compas and a meter wth mine :thumb:

OP
OP
evans88

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks. But which is the most appropriate Maplin box - see link on my previous post - to pair up with a Pace Skybox (not minibox). Because of limited battery space I want a mains box (not 12v).

I'm inclined towards getting an additional box because I might get better satellite coverage from other satellites the further south I go.

I'm on a very steep learning curve here so help very much appreciated.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thanks. But which is the most appropriate Maplin box - see link on my previous post - to pair up with a Pace Skybox (not minibox). Because of limited battery space I want a mains box (not 12v).

I'm inclined towards getting an additional box because I might get better satellite coverage from other satellites the further south I go.

I'm on a very steep learning curve here so help very much appreciated.

evans 88,
A difficult one, but, the SL 25 seems to do all mine does & I manage very well with it as I said before. Can't see a make on the Maplins web site, but mine is a SL 65 so I hope they are similar.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Because of limited battery space I want a mains box (not 12v).

With the Maplin one you get a lead for 12v and a lead like a mobile phone charger for 240v it's not just a 12 V jobbie.

OP
OP
evans88

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks again. Two final questions (hopefully) and they concern linking the free to air and sky receivers together.

Is the input from the dish connected to the free to air box or the Sky box bearing in mind the free to air box will also be used to find the satellite via the built in satellite finder?

How are the 2 receivers connected together? In other words which leads go where?

Still learning but I think I'm getting there with help from the replies received.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thanks again. Two final questions (hopefully) and they concern linking the free to air and sky receivers together.

Is the input from the dish connected to the free to air box or the Sky box bearing in mind the free to air box will also be used to find the satellite via the built in satellite finder?

How are the 2 receivers connected together? In other words which leads go where?

Still learning but I think I'm getting there with help from the replies received.

My none Sky box (Silver Crest) has an 'F out' conection whinh is connected to the (I think it's called on a Sky box) LNB in connection. I can't check it as my M/H is having it's service.

You may find the Sky box will not work when the 'other box' is connected, but mine has an on off switch on the back so once I have the strongest signal I can get I switch it off if we want Sky.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back