Maxview crank-up Sat Dish mount leaking (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We had the dish fitted new in March by a MH service engineer and used it over Easter. Now after a few weeks in storage (and some heavy rain) I notice the interior ceiling panels have separated slightly along the line of a wooden joist, and there's fresh rust on the internal metal components of the dish swivelling mechanism. The van was damp tested prior to the installation and was clear.

He's coming back to look at it and see what he can do, but has anyone else had this problem with this make of unit, and if so, what was the cause? Insufficient sealant or the actual construction of the mount?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I can only say had mine fitted almost 5 years ago.. No issues....
Never heard of any issues with the actual dish casing or mechanism but I would get up there to check it myself and confirm if it's product or installation fault.
Doesn't sound good...:Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Installation fault. Too many around and no other leaks that I have heard of :Doh: no doubt the installer will deny any wrong :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree, bad installation,

I had one on the RV (self fitted) and no leaks over three years full time. Lots of other issues with it, but not water ingress related..

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yes have to agree with the others we self fitted one and in three years it never leaked.

Thinking about how it fitted it would have to be done real bad to leak

Give em hell

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The same fitter damp-checked the van a few weeks before the installation and found nothing. To be fair he's not disputing the evidence of rust inside the brand new swivel mount, and is coming to check it pretty sharpish. I've just removed the square-sectioned metal shaft sleeve and there's trapped condensation dripping off it. Half the problem with our '05 Carioca 656 is that water pools near the exact spot where the dish was fitted, so the dish mount sits in a puddle whenever it rains.

We shall just have to see what tomorrow brings...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As a follow up to yesterday's posts - fortunately no sign of damp on the ceiling. I double checked the damp meter on a piece of wet cardboard to make sure it was working properly. When the dish assembly was lifted off the metal fixing plate there was signs of some water having worked its way between the two, possibly along the fixing bolts, which have now been resealed.

I think I'm going to have to chock the front of the van up on a couple of half railway sleepers or something when in storage so water doesn't pool on the roof. It's a perennial problem with this model of van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back