Maxview crank-up, not so good in the wind. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Title says it all, we've had a bit of wind today, not that bad but I've had to lower the crank-up, a gust of wind pulled it out of alignment, I don't think the locking mechanism that prevents it from rotating is up to the job.. :Sad:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I think they should be made of a mesh material the same as ordinary house dishes.

Not sure how much it would help but must be better in winds?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Jim it's blowin a hoolie down here are you expecting tooooo much. Was the roof flexing much?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim it's blowin a hoolie down here are you expecting tooooo much. Was the roof flexing much?

It's fairly sheltered where we are, windy but not stormy.
Do I expect too much.. I don't think so, the mechanism isn't man enough for the job.. Roof doesn't flex, it's made of plywood

Hi Jim
have you any thoughts on an "instead of " or has any body got a suggestion?

This was my 'instead of' I used to use a domestic dish and mount it on the ladder or a handy pole..
The only 'wind proof' dish is a Camos dome..

I'm complaining to Maxview, apparently this is an issue they are aware of..

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You tellin me them big fancy RV's are made of wood.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are there no other crank up owners on here ?

I complained to Maxview who said they had no others with this problem and if it was installed correctly it wouldn't move in the 'wind' .. :RollEyes:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim we have one, but as we don't use it much, and as soon as it gets windy I wind it down, so I can't say I have had any problems because of this. As you say the plastic locking mechanism is just not up to the job in high winds, and I think thats something you will just have to accept.

I don't think it was ever intended for fulltimers, its just to flimsy for that, and to cheap.

Olley

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim we have one, but as we don't use it much, and as soon as it gets windy I wind it down, so I can't say I have had any problems because of this. As you say the plastic locking mechanism is just not up to the job in high winds, and I think thats something you will just have to accept.

I don't think it was ever intended for fulltimers, its just to flimsy for that, and to cheap.

Olley

No doubt designed for the leisure user rather than us hard core campers :ROFLMAO:

but it doesn't excuse poor design, and it's not that cheap, I'd rather pay an extra £100 for a more robust and durable product..

90% of users will have no issue 90% of the time.. perhaps they should trial these products with fulltimers before marketing .. :RollEyes:

PS.. the tablet has my name on it .. :Cool:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jim the target market was leisure not fulltimers, there's not enough of you to be a viable market yet I would have thought.

In the five weeks we were away this year in portugal, I never put it up once, so begining to wonder why we got it. :Doh:

I agree your name is on the tablet...................trouble is its under mine.::bigsmile:

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Are there no other crank up owners on here ?

I complained to Maxview who said they had no others with this problem and if it was installed correctly it wouldn't move in the 'wind' .. :RollEyes:

I've got one:winky:

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I have one and I am very happy with it but it has moved in bad winds on me too, I just wind it down in high winds. Good idea to make it out of a mesh.

Lampie

Last edited:

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Hi Jim

We have a Maxview crankup and prior to it we had an 85cm Oyster which managed to have all its teeth on the gearwheel ripped of by what was not really a very high wind.:Eeek:
The Maxview we have now has still been up in much higher winds and up to now its has been fine, i installed it myself and whilst i must agree the plastic locking mechanism does not look to tough to date we have had no probs with it being blown out of alignment.
No way would i buy another Oyster £1000 more just so it aligns itself there having a laugh, longest its ever took with the Maxview is five minutes to align, then i tried it with my eyes open which was much quicker,:winky: top bit of kit even if it has a dodgy looking plastic locking mechanism..:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Keith

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I was just about to buy one, thanks to Jim I will wait and see what the outcome is from Maxiview. I do thinks as Jim says it should be fit for purpose, the wind does'nt know if you are fulltiming.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My gut feeling is that there will be no forthcoming fix from Maxview and the way to go for all weather viewing is a Camos Dome.. but keep the cranky on standby in case the Camos can't find the satellite.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JAY KAY

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Shotgate, Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
15+
Hi Jim,

I installed a Maxview crank-up system earlier this year but as yet have suffered no problems, very easy to use and install, very impressed with this bit of kit considering that the next step up in price would be about £1000.

We went to Normandy in September this year and the dish did not move despite some very strong winds, force 8/9 I believe.

I feel like some of the other poster on this thread that perhaps the locking mechanism could be beefed up a little as I am not sure that it will stand-up to the rigours of normal use unless handled consideratly but I still remain very impressed with this bit of kit.

John D.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My first email to Maxview

I have a complaint to make about my Maxview crank up, during windy weather today, (22 mph SW, BBC Weather info) the dish rotated, I heard the noise as the lock moved on the ratchet. I immediately lowered the dish to prevent further damage. I've heard of others complaining about this and that you were working on a 'fix' .? This issue is presently being discussed on several motorhome forums with several unhappy owners. I look forward to your comments.
Regards

Maxview Reply

As long as the unit has been fitted correctly, with the direction unit clicked fully in place with no gaps, the dish should stay locked in place by both brakes. I am surprised that you have mentioned customers who are also having the same problem, as none of them are in contact with us about this. Could you please let me have the details of your B2590 system, date of purchase, fiited by-, and serial number (this should be stuck to the zone map).
With Thanks
Mark

My Reply

I purchased the dish from SDS ( Link Removed ) around May 07 ( sorry, I don't have the exact date to hand) , serial 052532, and installed personally, the mechanism is fitted correctly with no slack in the braking lock.
Others I mentioned have been in contact with Shane at snellyvision ( Link Removed ) it was he who said he had been in contact with you re this issue and you were working on a fix.
I have no issue with it other than it's poor performance when it's windy.

Nothing since, and I doubt there will be any, other than to deny a problem. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How about the old fashioned pole with aerial on it Jim?

Been there done that, worked great but useless for touring, the reason I bought the cranky was for ease of use in aires when only stopped for a night or two, now I'm back to square one and I don't feel I should need to spend another £1600 on a Camos .. Maxview need to sort this out, it's not rocket science to make a mast clamp.. :Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I caravaned quite a lot through Europe and manage with tripod and dish but useless in RV as cant look through window to tune in and the maxview is a doddle.

Only place we had a problem was down south in La Manga although took a HUGE dish:RollEyes:

Shame the maxview has this design fault although love the ease of the crank up in normal conditions.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Update, 10 Months on

Well, it's ten months on, we spent the last eight months in France and during that time the Maxview performed well, EXCEPT in winds..

During the early part of the year in SW France and in other locations it blew off direction while other crankup makes were not affected, I spoke to owners of ALden and Teleco who had no problems when I did.

This week Maxview finally sent me another cranking mechanism FOC which I have fitted, but to be frank it looks identical to the original, :RollEyes:

I'm now resigned to either suffer or change it for an Alden, Maxview will not admit a design weakness ... I say differently.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well, it's ten months on, we spent the last eight months in France and during that time the Maxview performed well, EXCEPT in winds..

During the early part of the year in SW France and in other locations it blew off direction while other crankup makes were not affected, I spoke to owners of ALden and Teleco who had no problems when I did.

This week Maxview finally sent me another cranking mechanism FOC which I have fitted, but to be frank it looks identical to the original, :RollEyes:

I'm now resigned to either suffer or change it for an Alden, Maxview will not admit a design weakness ... I say differently.
What parts have they sent you Jim is it the internal roof gear, Ive only suffered your problem once and it was so windy the guys with slides were pulling them in,
no other windy day seems to have effected it, is there any correlation between the length of the internal square box section and how well the teeth in the mechanism mesh, Just an idea
Geo

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
My gut feeling is that there will be no forthcoming fix from Maxview and the way to go for all weather viewing is a Camos Dome.. but keep the cranky on standby in case the Camos can't find the satellite.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Our Camos dome is great Jim, and of course there are no wind problems, but I have had occasional issues locking onto satellites - its very sensitive about having a completely clear field of vision. It also cost a breathtaking amount of money - added it in to the new purchase of the new motorhome, but it was still a small fortune!!

Laurie

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Guys
I was speaking to a dealer yesterday about having an 88cm Oyster fitted. Having heard the comment abvout the gear teeth being ripped out I'm now having second thoughts. He also mentioned that the decoder was a special item and that they were no longer manufactured. Something that I cant belive.

The Camos dome looks a good bit of kit but has its limitations as to how far it will reach.

I have been looking at another dish the Telco FLATSAT EASY, again this is some thing that looks ok but does anybody know anything about them.

I hadnt given a lot of thought to the crank up simply because I wanted an automatic but know I'm reconsidering.

Think I'll get a coathanger and hang that outside the bus:Doh:

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What parts have they sent you Jim is it the internal roof gear, Ive only suffered your problem once and it was so windy the guys with slides were pulling them in,
no other windy day seems to have effected it, is there any correlation between the length of the internal square box section and how well the teeth in the mechanism mesh, Just an idea
Geo

Hi Geo

They sent a set of internal roof parts, but as I said, exactly the same as the old.

A lot will depend on the wind direction and how gusty it is, a steady SW wind it's fine if it's hitting the dish edge on, but if it veers to the N or further S and gets gusty, ... time to watch a video :Sad:

As far as I can ascertain the gears are meshed correctly and the square hollow shaft is the correct length.

I will report back if there is any improvement ... or not..

S

stagman

Deleted User
My Maxview crankup has been in use now for around 2yrs,did have a problem to start don't think I fitted the mechanism properly,but Maxview supplied me with new aligning gear free of charge,.From there on used it in all kinds of weather especially windy rainy conditions as this is when you are most likely to use it,and have to say it has been brilliant,up to the job yes,fit for the purpose yes.value for money yes at around £ 350 nothing to beat it,but a bit of common sense is needed no matter what equipment you use.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
have to say it has been brilliant,up to the job yes,fit for the purpose yes.value for money yes at around £ 350 nothing to beat it,but a bit of common sense is needed no matter what equipment you use.

Then we must agree to disagree, it's not fit for MY purpose, it's a good product but it could be a great product if it weren't compromised by an inadequate, poorly designed, feeble locking system, but maybe I haven't used common sense or as someone else suggested it's not designed for fulltming, if that is the case then it should be clearly labelled..

For Leisure use only in calm weather :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back