Max Cover Permited for RV Insurance (1 Viewer)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I have only just seen Bryan's thread, Insurance recommendations (RV) but bearing in minds Scotjimlands thread,Piggybacking on threads .. decided to separately ask this question of the members in particular those who own American RV's.

Do insurance companies some of whom are mentioned in Bryans thread restrict the maximum value of an RV being insured or if I go and buy a £200,000+ RV from Itchy Feet will I get insurance to cover that cost if a total loss occurs?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have only just seen Bryan's thread, Insurance recommendations (RV) but bearing in minds Scotjimlands thread,Piggybacking on threads .. decided to separately ask this question of the members in particular those who own American RV's.

Do insurance companies some of whom are mentioned in Bryans thread restrict the maximum value of an RV being insured or if I go and buy a £200,000+ RV from Itchy Feet will I get insurance to cover that cost if a total loss occurs?

£200K cover has never been an issue for me.. :ROFLMAO:

I think the only way to find out is to call for a quote, in saying that I believe some have an upper limit of around £80k.. others with deeper pockets may know better .. :Smile:

Bryan will probably know ...:roflmto::roflmto:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have literally just spoken to NFU in Louth to pose the maximum value question and was assured absolutely categorically that they have no maximum value and will insure anything for total write-off.

So I said - "I buy a £300,000 motorhome and you will cover it in the event of a total write-off?"

"Absolutely no problem, whatsoever." was the reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I'm with scotjimland on this one. Ring around and find out first. Even if you can get cover for this amount there may well be severe restrictions on the level of cover.

Cheers Jim :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have literally just spoken to NFU in Louth to pose the maximum value question and was assured absolutely categorically that they have no maximum value and will insure anything for total write-off.

So I said - "I buy a £300,000 motorhome and you will cover it in the event of a total write-off?"

"Absolutely no problem, whatsoever." was the reply.

Hi Dick

Well , I must say I am surprised with that one.. good old NFU .. :thumb:

Did they give any indication of the premium .. ?

Jim

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Jim

NFU are a bit used to me ringing up and asking all manner of questions - and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised to say that they have always been very precise and straightforward with me.

I recently had to ask them about getting Insurance for one of my members who actually lives in Belgium but is having problems getting his RV registered over there. NFU would not insure it because he is resident in Belgium BUT that is one of the very few occasions that NFU has turned business away.

I have my £150,000 Monaco plus £20,000 Volvo V70 estate (and until recently my £2000 trailer) - all fully comp with full protected no-claims - for just over £650 this year.

I have always been with NFU because they were the only company that actually talked intelligently about RVs five or six years ago when they would only insure as a commercial vehicle - and other companies limited their policies to a maximum engine size or a maximum write-off value.

NFU not only talked sensibly but also helped me work out a plan to reduce the cost of insurance by switching my then no-claims policy on the car to the RV and building up a new no-claims on the car (worked out much cheaper).

I actually had to phone them last year and find out why they had dropped the cost of my combined policy by more than half the cost of the year before - which is when they told me that I was no longer 'commercial' but was now being treated as a car! I have a direct debit with them - BUT they took the initiative and reduced the cost of the policy (whilst retaining the same cover) BEFORE they told me. That is why I trust them and do my best to tell other people about them.

But I didn't ask them how much a £300,000 RV policy would cost - they know me well enough to know that I couldn't afford such a vehicle :cry::cry:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I actually had to phone them last year and find out why they had dropped the cost of my combined policy by more than half the cost of the year before - which is when they told me that I was no longer 'commercial' but was now being treated as a car! I have a direct debit with them - BUT they took the initiative and reduced the cost of the policy (whilst retaining the same cover) BEFORE they told me. That is why I trust them and do my best to tell other people about them.

Ive been with NFU for several years and had the same conversation when I renewed..

I was in France when the renewal was due, I called and they said no problem, we will post the certificate and policy to the local post office .. then they informed me of the reduction...
Great service and hassle free..

Two years ago I had was involved in an accident in France, not my fault but the other car was badly damaged, the RV suffered only minor damage to the bumper.. but as there no witnesses and only my word against the claimant so the insurance companies went 50/50 .. NFU were great , no fuss, paid out and it didn't affect my premium ..

Jim

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Jim
I have my £150,000 Monaco plus £20,000 Volvo V70 estate (and until recently my £2000 trailer) - all fully comp with full protected no-claims - for just over £650 this year.

Dick,

That is the kind of information I like to see :thumb::thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
At £850 grand just to buy one of these things before insurance.....
Link Removed
a £200k rv becomes chicken feed to insurance companies.

Bottom line being, there will always be an insurance company somewhere willing to insure anything......as long as you pay the premium asked.

I'm never quite sure why the price tag of something people own appears to hold such importance to them.

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi mick

i have just switched my insurance to nfu. not only saved money, but most importantly have acquired a protected no claims bonus. without one, the cost of a repair has to be pretty big to make a claim worthwhile.

des

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
hi mick

i have just switched my insurance to nfu. not only saved money, but most importantly have acquired a protected no claims bonus. without one, the cost of a repair has to be pretty big to make a claim worthwhile.
Believe it or not, this photo is of a car my insurance company wrote off. The damage was front o/s wing as can be seen. Not even the headlight or flasher had been damaged and i actually drove the car to the bodyshop who were just as amazed as i was when it was 'written off'. I asked the insurance if i could buy it back because i could easily have reparied this myself at home, but they would not allow me to move it from the bodyshop. At that point then it was technically uninsured and the only way i could have shifted it back home was on a trailer, which i didn't have.

But they did pay out more than a fair price for the car so i agreed to let it go. Vehicles often get written off for the slightest damage now, especially when they have so much electronics etc attached to the inner wings making labour charges expensive.

My insurance was fully comp with protected ncb.

1zcj0ns.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back