Mattress replacement - comments please (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thinking of changing our rear bed cushion seat squabs for a 'normal' type double mattress as we don't use it as a lounge and hubby suffers with hip-ache even with a topper on.

Today I saw a double memory foam mattress in Lidl for £80, 15cm thick, and supposedly it allows the bed to breath so no issues with condensation on top of the solid seat bases. We've got a normal mattress at home with a memory foam topper so I've no experience of a 'total' memory foam one.

Has anyone done this and/or has anyone got one of the Lidl mattresses?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well we have one of those tempur mattresses at home. That's a total memory foam. We've had it for about 6 years now, maybe longer . It cost a bomb when we bought it. It's great. But there's a lot of different copies around now . We love it.
Problem is , it spoils you which ever other bed you sleep on.
We've got a topper on our over cab bed in the MH. Which is about a couple of inches thick.
Though the mattress is quite comfy up there anyway , we got used to the memory foam , with our bed having it. So it felt weird not having that spongy feel to it.
When we do the conversion we were going to get those duvelay quilty things. As it will be two singles.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Memory foam isn't for everyone. The way it moulds around you can make turning over difficult. They can also be very warm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We also have a Tempur, both at home and in the RV. Superb, but bloody heavy.:sleep:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always the first thing I change in our vans.. We just go to the local bed shop and get an ordinary box spring joby same as we have at home

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have a Tempur one at home and also Tempur pillows. We tried a (much) cheaper version of the pillows in the van and they aren't the same at all. In the end we got the Tempur pillows for the van too. I guess there's memory foam and memory foam and you very much get what you pay for! Personally I wouldn't expect much for £80.

Also Tim is correct they are very warm. You won't need much of a duvet - at home we use our summer 4.5 tog one all year round.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We paid around 400 for ours but it has lasted 15 years so far.
and £400 for a van one in Peterborough Show.
But the quality alone makes it worth it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depends on what you like, we bought tempur pillows for the van, but now only use them in the winter. Too hot and sweaty for winter use.

edit I meant summer use of course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back