Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
So we've been getting to grips with our Sophie over the last 2-3 months & I've figured out the best way to set up the lounge bed this week & the good lady will test it out this weekend, however we still need a topper on this layout so I've been looking around & the prices vary from £49 up to silly money.

We are after a topper with a cover & the bed is superking size any advice e welcomed also would be nice to know how other MH owners set there beds up is do you use just a topper & do you mess around putting a sheet on the bed.

Thanks

Rob.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We use a memory foam topper on our fixed bed - wasn't cheap as is a deep one - but worth every penny:Smile:

Probably wouldn't suit a bed you have to make up as they don't exactly fold up small - but if you can store it - well worth it.

Upvote 0

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
We have a memory foam mattress topper and it is worth the world for that little bit of extra comfort.
We always left ours on the bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks guys but I really need to hear from the non fixed bed clan :winky:

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We use a super king duvet as a mattress topper and then a fitted sheet. In the morning we just lift the corners and roll it up. This makes fitting it the next night very easy.
Graham:thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi Rob we use a memory phone topper purchased from the traders at the Lincoln show about £50, we always travel with 2 duvets one for under one for over all roll up in minutes without struggling to tuck sheets in etc , :Smile:

sue

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Rob we have toppers that was one 6'6" sq this proved to be a pain to store, so I cut it into 3 at 2'2" and had it recovered --it all now rolls up and stores in either one overhead locker (tight squeeze) or mainly in the over cab locker along with 3 single quilts and sheets -the sheets are simply thrown on top of the memory toppers --it's a woman thing that she would not sleep directly on the covered topper :winky:
Be aware there are places out there that sell/claim to be memory toppers say 50 mm (2 ins) deep that are in fact only 15 mm memory foam and 35 mm normal spongy foam stuck to it :Eeek:
terry

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi rob, we have two long bench seats which pull out and join to make a king bed.
We have 2 duvalays, this is a mattress topper and duvet combined. We leave these unrolled on the seats with a throw on during the day. At bed time we simply pull the bed together fold the throws up and jump in.

There would be nowhere else in our van to store a mattress topper or the duvalays they are the size of dustbins when rolled up!

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
We use a memory foam topper with a fitted sheet on our pull out bed. The sheet is left on the topper, it's folded and rolled and the whole thing is stored in the wardrobe, along with a quilt.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Similar situation with us. We have 2 fixed single beds and we have both come to the conclusion that they are too hard for us. Firm mattresses are OK when you are young but our bed at home is softer and we like it that way.

Looked around and decided on 50mm memory foam. Both our beds are 85cm wide and one of them is 198cm long (one is shorter!). Duvalay toppers are expensive (£89 each) and are not wide enough to fit either bed, and are not long enough to fit the longer bed. Toppers for standard single beds are too wide, but not long enough. Looked at our local foam shop but they wanted £60 each.

So we looked on Ebay and decided to buy a Superking sized one that we could cut down into two toppers of the correct size. Total of £47.50 including delivery. Bought it Tuesday from Southern foam in Horsham (they are on Ebay and Amazon) and it was delivered a few minutes ago. All looks good and all we need to do is cut it to the correct sizes and put it under our existing mattress cover. If you want a cover they will sell you one, but we didn't need it with our fixed beds.

Upvote 0

Trisha

Free Member
Mar 9, 2014
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
We have a fixed bed and I cut an old thick duvet to the right shape and size as a mattress topper. When we had a caravan with a bed we had to make up we used two duvets , one under and one over. Very comfy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
We use a topper on our fixed bed. Purchased off the Net @ approx £80. This on top of the sprung base and sprung mattress seems to have sorted sleep problems out.
Can't put any more on as my nose will be scraping the roof. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks all :Cool:

We've got a 2 in 1 goose down duvet that we bought & its uber warm & currently use a double sleeping bag as the topper but its not enough. Might take the home duvet this weekend as a topper but thats 2 massive duvets & I know we will be too hot in it.

Was thinking of the eBay route & cut one down as mentioned above as I also have found this this the only matching size as duvalay & any single combo is to big or too small in one way or another.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Was thinking of the eBay route & cut one down as mentioned above as I also have found this this the only matching size as duvalay & any single combo is to big or too small in one way or another.

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170571754135&var=470012914165"]This is a link[/ame] to the one I got

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Nice one let me know how it goes I can't make Peterborough as I'm in Wales swimming in white water rapids & learning how not to drown :thumb:

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We bought a 2 inch topper online. Mrs C then made a simple cover from a king size loose sheet. Simply folded the sheet in half and sewed up one side and one end. Fits the topper perfectly and avoids all fiddly sheet stuffing at bed time. Rolls up nice and small and lives in the space above the cab

Upvote 0

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
We use a super king duvet as a mattress topper and then a fitted sheet. In the morning we just lift the corners and roll it up. This makes fitting it the next night very easy.
Graham:thumb:

Oops, sorry, although we have an over cab bed, we make up our bed downstairs in the lounge. We bought a king size memory foam mattress topper and we have wrapped a fitted sheet around it. We simply roll it up and stash it in the Luton during the day. It just takes a couple of minutes to make up or take down.

Hope this helps ;-)

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
we use a duvalay mattress topper, very comfortable but as others have said you need room to store it. we have a drop-down bed also so bedding all goes up there during the day.

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Duvalays in the caravan, made my own version for my motor home as the sizes were different, works a treat, and store in the luton

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thanks all :Cool:

We've got a 2 in 1 goose down duvet that we bought & its uber warm & currently use a double sleeping bag as the topper but its not enough. Might take the home duvet this weekend as a topper but thats 2 massive duvets & I know we will be too hot in it.

When you say it's not enough I'm wondering do you turn the cushions from the lounge over . As It's a lot comfier sleeping on the flat side.

Vlad

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Someone else told us to do that & we turn 2 over at the moment but not all 4

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Val's just bought a new very comfortable and very expensive mattres topper for the van and I can't get over how heavy it is, it must be twice as heavy as the old one, it's definately gonna eat into the payload :(

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back