BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I've spent 2 days on the web trying to find a reasonably priced site, close to Matlock Bath (or at least with transport links) and didn't realise how difficult it would be:confused:

CL's were either too far out in the sticks, or full! (want to head over there between SMC weekend at Newark and Malvern show, so 11/12/13 Aug.)
Sites were way too dear (I won't pay stupid money - even in August:p)

Narrowed it down to 2 - both pubs(y)

http://www.thesquareandcompass.co.uk/camping-and-caravans/ £15 p/n no EHU
or
http://www.thehurtarms.info/index.html £20 p/n inc EHU ...I did tell them I thought that was too dear for a CL (it's CC) and they said the manager would call me back when I said £15 p/n was more realistic;) (They did admit their pricing was 'under review' :rolleyes: )

Both have showers/loo's and usual facilities. Both look nice, both close to transport links.

Anyone been to either or is local and can offer any comments???

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Yup! Like I said - been on all the usual websites and discounted everything g except the 2 I listed!
Just wondered if 1. Anyone had been to them and 2. Any hidden gems not on a website or search engine that a funster may know of(y)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Dave, it might be worth a call to Peak Rail .... http://www.peakrail.co.uk ....

We had a club meet at the Rosley South Station with another club a few years ago.

I don't know if they will accept lone campers but worth a try ..... it's a great spot with lovely walks by the river and the Peak Rail run steam services south into Matlock where it joins with the main line service. Bus services also run to Matlock and north to Bakewell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi
I'm pretty sure our friends have stayed a few times at the square and compass - I can check and let you know in the morning. If it's the one I think it is they are very laid back and accept single sex groups. Basically they just go for a p*** up week end.

Hurt Arms - not stayed here, only eaten. It gets very busy, it's not near anywhere really but the station is close by.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi
I'm pretty sure our friends have stayed a few times at the square and compass - I can check and let you know in the morning. If it's the one I think it is they are very laid back and accept single sex groups. Basically they just go for a p*** up week end.

Hurt Arms - not stayed here, only eaten. It gets very busy, it's not near anywhere really but the station is close by.

Easy walk or cycle into Matlock Bath from there, BUSBY:)

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There's a THS set up at Darley dale just near there - will give them a call today!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning - update on the square & compass - yep it is where friends have stayed. They liked it but rough and ready was their description:LOL: I don't think the grass gets cut very often.

You would need to walk to the main road (less than 10 mins) to pick up a bus. I'm not sure where the steam railway is in relation - won't be far. This would get you to Matlock and then a bus to Matlock Bath (or walk mile or so). Not sure what you like but Matlock has got some interesting shops and places to eat and drink these days.

Matlock Bath is a tourist draw - I'm never sure why though and of course it's the Mecca if you have a motorbike on a sunday.

Hope this helps

Deb

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Easy walk or cycle into Matlock Bath from there, BUSBY:)

Hmm you must be really fit - I wouldn't describe it like that:D, although I suppose it is flat and for round there thats to be thankful for:)

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Train and bus sounds better - gotta support local business lol!!!
Left a message at the THS but if no go then pub it is:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hmm you must be really fit - I wouldn't describe it like that:D, although I suppose it is flat and for round there thats to be thankful for:)

Can only be a couple of miles to Whatstandwell and then probably 5 miles very pleasant stroll along canal to Cromford and another mile at the most into Matlock Bath. Couple of cafes on route. BUSBY:)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Can only be a couple of miles to Whatstandwell and then probably 5 miles very pleasant stroll along canal to Cromford and another mile at the most into Matlock Bath. Couple of cafes on route. BUSBY:)
:doh: Doh - you're talking about the hurt arms aren't you? I was talking about the square and compass:rofl:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Landed on the CCC temp holiday site at Darley Dale. Large field but found a bit of hardstanding close to water and waste - £7.50 pn - that'll do!
Must be about 50 Motorhomes and caravans here - room for a lot more!
Pub 5 mins away !!!
Suns out and it dry - so that's us sorted until Malvern on Thursday (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Glad you got sorted(y)

We're in at Blackmore for the week, just at Malvern as a day visitor:(

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
We stayed at the Grouse & Claret in Rowsley a few weeks back again not cheap at £20 per night with EHU but not a bad site, as for buses I wouldn't bother taxis could work out cheaper especially for two or more only around a fiver to Matlock, as for Matlock Bath unless you have a specific interest there ie Motorbikes or the Heights of Abraham etc I wouldn't bother seems like nothing but fish a chip shops and amusment arcades

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back