Matching two leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Devon Monte Carlo van con
Exp
many years
I have a Banner 115/135 leisure battery that was fitted in June 2016. I would now like to fit a second leisure battery and I recollect reading that they should be identical and the same age i.e. both new. How critical is this? I am more than happy to get another Banner of the same spec., although I am a bit reluctant to buy two and discard the nearly new one.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I would say just get another Banner, make sure the older one is fully charged before fitting the new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Size/capacity doesn't matter.
Manufacturer doesn't matter.
Age isn't critical if one is only a year or so old unless it's been repeatedly deep discharged..
Don't mix lead acid/gel/agm....they charge in different ways.
Don't throw old batteries away.....the scrapman will give you around £8 each.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Size/capacity doesn't matter.
Manufacturer doesn't matter.
Age isn't critical if one is only a year or so old unless it's been repeatedly deep discharged..
Don't mix lead acid/gel/agm....they charge in different ways.
Don't throw old batteries away.....the scrapman will give you around £8 each.
Take your old batteries to Mallory at Seamer, you’ll get more than £8. It’s a cheque, to avoid ‘illegal transactions ‘ ! !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Take your old batteries to Mallory at Seamer, you’ll get more than £8. It’s a cheque, to avoid ‘illegal transactions ‘ ! !
Been a while since I took any but £8 back then.
I believe it's a cheque to stop the 'pi keys' bringing in stolen copper etc.
They already have my personal details on record.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You can take the cheque to cash converters if you’re worried about it going through your bank.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Depends how much you have to avoid the bank or traceability. Some people need this type of service.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have a Banner 115/135 leisure battery that was fitted in June 2016. I would now like to fit a second leisure battery and I recollect reading that they should be identical and the same age i.e. both new. How critical is this? I am more than happy to get another Banner of the same spec., although I am a bit reluctant to buy two and discard the nearly new one.

There’s a lot of mixed opinion about this. Matched batteries are most important when placed in series than in parallel, in theory, but I have found that mis-matched batteries seem to fail prematurely. If you put a new battery with a duff one, the duff one will absorb energy from the good one and reduce the performance of the good one. So my simple thinking is that even a poor battery will have some detrimental effect on the rest. Ideally, identical batteries are best. If you don’t use identical batteries I believe you will be compromising the combined output to a degree (but I have no measure of by how much). If I had a battery that was relatively new, I might get another the exactly same as a partner but recongise that they may fail together at the demise of the oldest. Its life may have already been shortened if it has been through many deep discharges and, if there was any doubt about its history, I’d rather buy all new in that case. So I am with Brian (#2) on this one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I added a third battery to my one year old Gel's not shure I would have done the same with flooded cells. I would be tempted to replace the Banner with a couple decent batteries such as Varta.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I would buy a second identical battery. Banner lead acid leisure batteries have heavy duty plates and it should still be in good condition after one year. When the Caravan Club cut several batteries open a few years ago, they only found 2 makes that were proper leisure batteries rather than re-labelled starter batteries. Banner was one of the 2.

OP
OP
Stewart

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Exp
many years
I think I will do just that, Pausim - buy an identical battery and keep the original. The existing battery has never been deeply discharged and the solar panel keeps it topped up all the time. Thank you all for your input.
As an aside, I bought the Banner because the Caravan Club comments.

OP
OP
Stewart

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Exp
many years
Continuing on this subject, where can I get good battery terminals that will take two heavy current cables and the various other smaller cables from solar panel etc.?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree with other! Buy a second identical battery and if your first one has been reasonably well looked after you will be fine. You may just want to confirm your onboard charger is man enough to deal with the combined Amps.

OP
OP
Stewart

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Exp
many years
That is what I am using at the moment. I guess I can double up on the 8mm fitting. It always seems strange to me that I use a cable big enough to pull the Queen Mary and I fit it to the battery post with an 8mm bolt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back