Matching Batery (1 Viewer)

Jul 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Newstar 58L
Exp
Newb
Hi All,

My "New to Me" Lunar MH was fitted with a shiney brand new battery when I picked it up, but it seems that an under powered unit was fitted, so I need to up grade.

Currently under the hood I have a BOSCH S4 008, which is a good battery, but the Lunar is on a Ducato with a 2.3 lump so need a higher cranking amp, so I'm up grading to an 019 type (as recommended) with a higher CCA THIS ONE.

Now that leaves me with a spare BOSCH S4 008, and unfortunately it will not fit in the fitted Hab battery box under the drivers seat.

So if I find a suitable spot under a bench seat at the rear, and link in parralel, does it matter that its a different battery to the one currently under the drivers seat? THIS ONE I'm also considerring upgrading/replacing the hab battery under the drivers seat because it does not seem to hold a charge.

For info, I did intend to add one or two extra batteries for off grid use, and do intend to add solar but probably not this year, I just hadn't planned on sticking an extra 50kg at the tail end of the van, I would have preferred the hab batteries to stay in the intended location under the driver and passenger seat.

So back to my main question, as long as they are all just wet batteries, does it matter about anything else?

Thanks in advance

Siblo

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi All,

My "New to Me" Lunar MH was fitted with a shiney brand new battery when I picked it up, but it seems that an under powered unit was fitted, so I need to up grade.

Currently under the hood I have a BOSCH S4 008, which is a good battery, but the Lunar is on a Ducato with a 2.3 lump so need a higher cranking amp, so I'm up grading to an 019 type (as recommended) with a higher CCA THIS ONE.

Now that leaves me with a spare BOSCH S4 008, and unfortunately it will not fit in the fitted Hab battery box under the drivers seat.

So if I find a suitable spot under a bench seat at the rear, and link in parralel, does it matter that its a different battery to the one currently under the drivers seat? THIS ONE I'm also considerring upgrading/replacing the hab battery under the drivers seat because it does not seem to hold a charge.

For info, I did intend to add one or two extra batteries for off grid use, and do intend to add solar but probably not this year, I just hadn't planned on sticking an extra 50kg at the tail end of the van, I would have preferred the hab batteries to stay in the intended location under the driver and passenger seat.

So back to my main question, as long as they are all just wet batteries, does it matter about anything else?

Thanks in advance

Siblo
It's not recommended to fit different brand \ age \ etc batteries in parallel for your leisure batteries. In addition the Bosch is not a leisure battery.
Lenny HB is the man to ask about batteries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is possibly the same as the standard fit on your Ducato, Just changed the battery on my Ducato (4 years old) the OEM battery was 95ah, CCA680 amps. Your Bosch is 75ah CCA680, so the cranking amps are the same. but a bigger one won't hurt. I fitted 100ah, CCA900 amps.
No point in putting a decent battery in parallel with a battery that is not holding a charge it will pull the good one down. Your Bosch is a starter battery and will not perform well on slow discharge use as a leisure battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Jul 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Newstar 58L
Exp
Newb
Thanks for the advice guys,

So I've ordered the new engine batt with the higher cranking amps, and I've also ordered two of the Lucas leisure batteries that will fit under the drivers and passenger seats and plan to fit them parralel.

My question is, what will hapen if I add the now redundant, (old, but only a couple of weeks) engine batt to the 2 new leisure batteries?

The Bosch S4 is now spare and will only sit in the shed, will I do any harm if I connect this battery too?

Failing that, anyone want to buy a battery?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back