Massive thanks to Eddie Vanbitz and Metatrak (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I stayed there a couple of years back and when there it was obvious security was a high priority with cameras on the gate and high fencing all round, when you venture out and have a wander you can see why. Not surprised it got turned over but have no idea how they thought they could get them out as there is only 1 road in and out.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
I stayed there a couple of years back and when there it was obvious security was a high priority with cameras on the gate and high fencing all round, when you venture out and have a wander you can see why. Not surprised it got turned over but have no idea how they thought they could get them out as there is only 1 road in and out.

Son couldn't see any CCTV anywhere but he may have been wrong. Would be interesting to know if there was and if so what showed up.

Son reckons they were prepping all the vehicles and then would break through the gates and bollards in one big hit. His view when he left the MH there was that the 1 road in and out and warden accom by the gate made it safe too... but thieves were that organised, presumably a couple of sets of gates wouldn't be that difficult to get open (or break through??). Son said there were bollards as well but they must be retractable, so thieves must have had a cunning plan for it all. As someone said previously, with cordless grinders (or even a portable oxyacetylene kit) metal locks etc are no deterrent these days.

Interesting that they didn't waste time taking off his steering wheel lock while they tried to get it started... very focused weren't they?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I would be having a conversation with someone high up in the food chain at the Camping and Caravan club, to explain how this was even possible with wardens on site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I know you mention hind sight is cheap, but I really can’t believe that having had one stolen your son chose to leave e it uninsured ?

has he had to pay for the repairs or were they covered in some way by the tracker company ?

ultimately very pleased for him to have still got it and relatively easily fixed ??

Last edited:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Something extremely stinky of rotten fish here.

There’s no way that anyone could sleep through a Growler going off and even the most skilful (perhaps not in evidence here) thief would have taken a few minutes, at least, to make that mess.

Glad he’s sorted now, but club management have a job to do, by the sound of it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
His view when he left the MH there was that the 1 road in and out and warden accom by the gate made it safe too...
I would be having a conversation with someone high up in the food chain at the Camping and Caravan club, to explain how this was even possible with wardens on site.

Who knows, maybe the wardens had been threatened / terrorised?

The plan may have been to keep the wardens subdued one way or another before driving off ........ it has happened before.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Very pleased it's all sorted with the Van. Just looking at the pictures I did wonder if the repair would be straight forward or a long complex procedure. How was the repair tackled and was there an issue in getting someone to do it?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Something extremely stinky of rotten fish here.

There’s no way that anyone could sleep through a Growler going off and even the most skilful (perhaps not in evidence here) thief would have taken a few minutes, at least, to make that mess.

Glad he’s sorted now, but club management have a job to do, by the sound of it.

I though the same that why I asked if the alarm had been activated.

SmithsInFrance do you know if the alarm was activated or not or was it not on.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Thanks for sharing ... its reassuring to see the Metatrak system holding firm.

Interesting how they left the steering wheel lock in place...I guess they dont see that as much of a deterrent and easily removed once they get the engine started :(

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
I know you mention hind sight is cheap, but I really can’t believe that having had one stolen your son chose to leave e it uninsured ?

has he had to pay for the repairs or were they covered in some way by the tracker company ?

I did try to tell him DavidG58! He thought it was safe there... we have had the conversation since and he has conceded I was right, but just overwhelmingly relieved that they didn't actually steal it.

When he saw the mess they had made, he thought it was going to be a very expensive job (but kept repeating the mantra that it would still be cheaper than replacing the van which was only a couple of years old). Final repairs in the hundreds, not thousands as he feared and Metatrak very fair (they supplied a replacement unit FOC). He was very very pleased with their service.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Strange this, But I know the site fairly well, we use it at least once a year. Handy for Heathrow. The storage compound is close(ish) to the exit gate/barrier, by the Motorhome dump. So a "dash" for the road would only have involved a short run. The biggest issue with that site is exiting onto Bridge Road, it`s tight and has a lot of daytime traffic. Obviously quiet in the early hours. The warden(s) are at the far end of the site from the compound. And there is a private road and a bungalow in between.

What I noted, when walking the dog is there appear to be a lot of what I would describe as "seasonal" units. And a few I thought may be folk working out of there?. The other thing I noted was what appeared to be very large caravans of the type beloved of the "travelling fraternity" complete with Patio furniture!. This was back in Dec 2019.

Years ago. In the 80`s I did survey/Inspection work in that area, just up to road the other side of the bridge past the Kingfisher is a rather scruffy series of Trading estate(s). Where (then) some "iffy" "companies" where. At least their H&S ethos left a lot to be desired anyway!.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We’ve been to that site numerous times, I quite liked the feel of it. However, I’m not sure I’ll bother again.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Also an after thought, ccc use franchise.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We keep ours at home because we can. The only drawback is the shitbags know when you are away so the house is then the target. Best thing would be for thieves when caught have their hands chopped off. Two hours community service and a £40 payable over the next 4 years is not a deterrent.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes it was activated. metatrak contacted him that an attempt to start van had been made

is that not the tracker or do they contact you when alarm sounds.
I’m surprised as I’ve set mine of by accident and its deafening so good on them if they stood there with that going off.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Let’s be fair to the wardens and assume they are innocent. Who here would consider trying to stop a gang of organised thieves in the dark when they obviously have some heavy tools etc ? I know I would rather stay in one piece , you only have one life .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Let’s be fair to the wardens and assume they are innocent. Who here would consider trying to stop a gang of organised thieves in the dark when they obviously have some heavy tools etc ? I know I would rather stay in one piece , you only have one life .
I might have contacted the police though, and then the owners targeted.

Martin

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I can’t understand the alarm bit either.

If it sounded then they must have managed to disable it/silence it, or it must only sound for a certain duration, or was it going for days without being noticed.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

If it sounded then they must have managed to disable it/silence it, or it must only sound for a certain duration, or was it going for days without being noticed.

Son is convinced this was a very planned operation - the thieves had already removed half a dozen trackers from other units, plus cut off wheel clamps (he could see the scorched wheel hubs) and raised corner steadies of caravans, but they were held up by his MH which they just couldn't figure out how to get going - they even brought in a battery from another vehicle to bypass his one to see if that would work. The Metatrak guy said they very nearly cracked it, and they probably went off to research and would have been back to finish the job, at which point they would have broken the locks on the gates etc and taken all the MHs and caravans out in one big convoy. Quite a heist!

The Growler is the loudest motorhome alarm on the market, with three external sirens and two internal sirens, if anyone can ignore that, they must either not be there or "deliberately ignoring it"

Reading about the amount of time the thieves had to break into an remove the trackers and prep another half dozen other units, using power tools to cut off wheel clamps, one has to ask what the site security was up too for all that time?

When the Growler/Non Starter combination sent the owner a message, apparently he rang the site concerned and was told that everything was OK and no problem.

Mind you, the same people were riding around on the owners electric scooter that had been removed from the motorhome so again, leaves you wondering who knew what!

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

Does anybody pay attention when a vehicle alarm goes off other than the owner?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Does anybody pay attention when a vehicle alarm goes off other than the owner?
Yes, or are you saying that you could sit and watch someone break into another persons motorhome and take no notice?

Most of us would take a picture, note the time, ask what was going on, intervene, make it obvious that the thief had been spotted

But having said that the act of the alarm sounding normally deters a thief from continuing with a break in, which is why most of the tales on here about people waking up and finding out that they have been broken into over night, are by people that don't have alarms fitted

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, or are you saying that you could sit and watch someone break into another persons motorhome and take no notice?

Most of us would take a picture, note the time, ask what was going on, intervene, make it obvious that the thief had been spotted

But having said that the act of the alarm sounding normally deters a thief from continuing with a break in, which is why most of the tales on here about people waking up and finding out that they have been broken into over night, are by people that don't have alarms fitted

Obviously not in this case, and yes I would personally do something if I seen or heard something.

When did I state that I would sit and watch it? but how many times have you heard a car alarm sound in a car park and nobody bother paying attention just saying.

Just cause its noisy doesn,t mean its unbeatable as this post shows.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
From what I understand the motorhome is on a “secure“ site, and was not covered by the owners insurance at the time of the incident. I would be pushing for some compensation from the “secure” site.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We keep ours at home because we can. The only drawback is the shitbags know when you are away so the house is then the target. Best thing would be for thieves when caught have their hands chopped off. Two hours community service and a £40 payable over the next 4 years is not a deterrent.

I have never understood this paranoia at thief's are watching to see it your motorhome has go off your driveway so they can burgle you.
Unless you live in a decidedly dodgy area with the local thief's keeping an eye on you for weeks and maybe months to go away, then why would any other thief's think, arr nothing on the driveway must be a motorhomer away.
Would it not be far easier for them to watch a house for a few day, decide how many occupants live there and when they all go out in their car, go and do their place over as they reckon it normally only takes thief's a few minutes to rifle a house.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back