Masking Off? Use Low Tack Masking Tape (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

When we bought the 'van, it was evident that the seals around the body had been renewed (or more probably recovered) with sealant.

Over time the job started to look a little tacky so I set to and did them.

Well, actually, I did them twice!

Two days ago I attempted to do the job and 'masked off' on either side of where I was to seal with masking tape. However, after applying the seal and spraying the area with water and creating a lovely smooth seal, I tried to remove the masking tape to reveal nice straight edges to the seal.

What happened was a disaster with the tape refusing to come away from the bodywork and snapping into bits leaving a real bodge looking job.

Crack of dawn this morning after buying a roll of 'Low Tack' masking tape I had another go. This time, if I say so myself, the result is very good. The masking tape peeled off leaving Guardsman straight lines.

Lesson learned. If you need to use masking tape with sticky Puraflex (recommended) don't use any old masking tape. Get, Low Tack.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It is very good. We use it on our narrowboat, but the cost for a throw-away item is terrible........:(

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It is very good. We use it on our narrowboat, but the cost for a throw-away item is terrible........:(

Throw away item?.

It was stuck like shhhhhh . I couldn't get it off, even less throw it away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Low tack masking tape is often called frisk tape

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I masked the many panels on an internal glass door ready to paint a few years ago and BiL told me not to leave it on too long. I understood what he meant when I came too peel it off a fortnight later. :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Don't leave it on to long but definitely don't get it wet whatever type you use, if you do plenty of hard work to remove

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back