LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I spotted it last night and had to look on my Sky Map App to confirm it was Mars, so close to the moon. I've been following Jupiter all winter too, no street lights where we live so the night sky is wonderful to view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]I spotted it last night[/HI] and had to look on my Sky Map App to [HI]confirm[/HI] it was Mars, so close to the moon. I've been following Jupiter all winter too, no street lights where we live so the night sky is wonderful to view.

I just happened to be playing with my night sky App and found it by accident, I wouldn't have known with out the App, how sad is that, nice clear night though.

New Forest; no street lights anywhere outside the villages.
:thumb:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Use the sky view app to also see the International Space Station.
Saw it twice last week - one night (about 22.20) it was so clear and with the sun shining 'around' the earth and bouncing on it you could actually make out the large solar panel arms!
Easy to spot - but only visible for about 3 minutes as it races accross the sky.

.....and before you ask - yes I'm sure it wasn't a plane! Tracked it on the app::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Saw it twice last week - one night (about 22.20) it was so clear and with the sun shining 'around' the earth and bouncing on it you could actually make out the large solar panel arms!
Easy to spot - but only visible for about 3 minutes as it races accross the sky.

.....and before you ask - yes I'm sure it wasn't a plane! Tracked it on the app::bigsmile:

I hope they didn't have their grey waste open as they passed over ... you wouldn't want that all over your phone!:Eeek:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I spotted it last night and had to look on my Sky Map App to confirm it was Mars, so close to the moon. I've been following Jupiter all winter too,[HI] no street lights where we live[/HI] so the night sky is wonderful to view.

I actually find that street lights help when looking for Mars. Mind you they (the Martians) turn their street lights off at midnight (their time), which unfortunately can make it difficult.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

I get the NASA email telling me when the ISS will be visible. Very clear last night and it was visible for over 4 minutes. Just didn't look at the moon to see Mars! Duh.
Will look tonight.

Just looked at App Store. Can anyone recommend one they find best for star watching?

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I get the NASA email telling me when the ISS will be visible. Very clear last night and it was visible for over 4 minutes. Just didn't look at the moon to see Mars! Duh.
Will look tonight.

Just looked at App Store. Can anyone recommend one they find best for star watching?

Sky view - for iphone :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Will look tonight.

Google Sky Map for Android.

Edit: and Here for ISS alert. Thanks for the mention!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back