LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Northampton . They was very rude. And when I asked if they did gas bottles, got told no. So I asked if they knew where I could get some . Go look in the yellow pages. And when asked if we could look into a Elddis. Told no sales person available , come back tomorrow. Did not bother.

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We had a few issues with our new van nothing major but made appointment given a choice of days to bring it in ,to suit us job done ,we were made very welcome by the staff who gave us a cup of coffee and were told the van would be ready in a couple of hours,just enough time for a bit of leisurely lunch ,we we're contacted by the technician to say our van was ready so really I can't fault the service that I have had up to now( this was all done at Preston )

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
having purchased a brand new van from them that was so badly put together that the roof rattled in the wind and the interior fit and finish was amateurish at best, marquis was even less than useless. they refused to do warranty work and what they did under sufferance took months. after taking legal advice I opted to take a huge financial loss and sold the van into the trade.
Nitemare why are they allowed to get away with it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We took a look round Martins a couple of times and found the sales staff pretty disinterested and when we asked for a hab check quote they said it would be £200+ and they couldn't look at it for at least two months. We found a local man who came to our address and did what to us seemed a thorough job for £40.00. We have had him back ever year and cannot fault his work.
We bought our Autosleeper Nuevo from a lovely lady in Launceston at a price that suited us very well and would not hesitate to buy and sell privately in the future.

The Tincas
Would you be happy to share the local mans details ?

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
At the NEC we spoke to Pearman Briggs apparently a family business. We didn't buy a MH yesterday but feel that we would go look at Pearman Briggs. Anyone bought from them?

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Would you be happy to share the local mans details ?

Very happy to do so, in fact we posted his details a while back in a separate "Hab Check" thread.
His name is Bob Gale and his number is 07887 906300 and he is based in Paignton in Sunny Deb,n.

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Marquis Preston, sales very good, PDI on new van appalling, below min on brake fluid, hab door would not lock, water input pipe not fitted properly soaking floor.
Service department very aggressive girl on desk, service manager sits at back hiding behind big PC screen!

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
@Jim I'm not sure where to post this but it illustrates how bad Elddis after care is...
Our Majestic 125 is now nearly 15 months old. Two weeks ago we returned from near Gib to to Devon to have our Whale 8litre gas/electric water heater removed to the bench to remove the remains of the 3/8 BSP union which had sheared off in the inlet connection. The cost to us is in the region of £900. The whale plastic connector retails at £4.95, Marquis took 3 hours to complete the work clearly at no cost to us. I am seeking out of pocket expenses from Marquis at present.
We then caught the next available ferry back to France and made our way down to the Costa Brava. More cost to us!!
Two days after arriving my wife was using the shower when I observed water running on to the ground from the bathroom area, when she was finished using the shower we found the area round the waste for about 180 degrees was cracked and a gap of 2mm in the damaged area. Furthermore on the opposite side of the tray an area where you could cutout for waste was also cracked. Further investigation revealed the tray was not bonded to the sub surface for about 60% of the whole area. The plastic is moving and finally fractured due to fatigue cracking. I sent 3 photos of the tray to Marquis to make arrangement to have the work taken in hand on our return to UK at the end of March. Elddis informed Marquis they exclude trays from the warranty after 12 months!! And many other things I might add. I am seeking legal advice to ensure they pay for the replacement tray and the labour to carry out the repair. The tray was never fitted properly during the build. BEWARE, you get a warm feeling about 3 year warranty from the sales staff but is it just a con??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but is it just a con??

One man's con is another man's small print.

"Legal" costs you you can always try trading standards or threaten a private small claims court action, which you would certainly win.

Give them hell and then some.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've been around caravans and motorhomes long enough to know that different customers will invariably experience the good and bad from any retailer.

My own experience of Marquis NE over the years has generally been a positive one and I had no hesitation returning to them for my latest van. I always use the same sales person and have built up a good relationship with him.
My previous vans being Swifts had warranty issues, which also gave me experience of Marquis' aftercare and servicing teams, where again I can only speak positively of both the staff and their quality of work.

The only real negative experience I can comment on is the time taken to resolve warranty issues, but that was down to the speed of 'not so Swift's' parts availability and not a fault of Marquis NE.

I recommended Marquis to a friend at work, who recently purchased a used caravan from them and he very quickly had a falling out with them over after sales and has vowed never to go near them again !!

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Marquis NE in Birtley fantastic sales team but after sales abmismal. We bought a Marquis Majestic 105 off them at the beginning of 2015. We only had minor faults luckily such as catches fitted in the wrong place so bed boxes fell down in transit. Another one was the drivers seat fabric had a fault in it. It took about 6 to 9 months to get anywhere. They really bodged the catches and they were still not fixed. They fitted the new seat cover and left a few bolts out of the seat rolling around the floor.
I am just glad to only have had minor faults.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Tewkesbury sales very very good, and the aftersales, service staff have been brilliant, can't fault them.

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
This is going to be short and sweet, Marquis at Birtley gave excellent sales service and excellent after sales, couldn't fault them at all. A BIG (y)(y) to all the staff.
Mew and Mick.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Read this in one of the forums a couple of years ago, (while I was looking to buy) it put me off buying from marquis.

Groblers, Motorhomer From Suffolk
one green star
Posted 15 October 2015 by Groblers
Quote | Report
Motorhome - Swift Lifestyle 686 - Maquis - Ipswich
Delivery Date
0. Reverse Camera not working.
0. Door Handle hanging by screws
0. Missing Oven Tray
0. Loose Screws in bottom of bed bunk spaces
0. Covers for Thule Bike rack and Omni store was not in place and keeps popping off.
0. Water heater was not working from day 1 as there was a sheet covering the utlet and it kept tripping the switch inside.
0. Incorrect tyre pressure on delivery. Rear Passenger side 4000 and left 5000, on the door it states 5500 for back tyres.
0. We asked for the Fridge shelf that was missing. This was fitted after I got there for collecting the motorhome. Would it even have been installed/checked if we did not mention it again?
Other Defects
0. Service Battery Level was very low even after 2.5 hours of driving to Folkestone Eurotunnel; 30minutes of inside lights and the service battery was in Red.
0. Cabinet above fridge – Bad inside cut.
0. Above mention Door handle came loose and door scrapping when opening and closing.
0. Main panel cover popped of while driving. Some missing screws in there.
0. Under main bed the screws are loose and falling out.
0. Some screws are not even properly in, by Driver side.
0. Water Filler cap, lock just came out, leaks when it is closed. When totally filled up, it only shows ¾ full on Level Panel.
0. Grey water outlet got stuck in 1 position and had to unplug the grey water at the back to let the water out.
0. Plastic Clips that are broken in back Cipboard.
10. Missing curtain stops on some rails, also some screws missing from rails.
11. Finishing on doors of cupboard and other wood finish not flush and of poor standard.
12. Drawer on right of fridge cant open correct with carpet and scrapes the carpet every time it opens.
13. Doors that don’t stay shut and keep flying open, even if it’s in locked position.
14. Bad silicone work on outer bodywork.
15. Panels not lined up when it was installed on front overhang part.
16. Fuel Flap. Extremely bad workmanship. It cut an Italian Fuel Attendant when he opened the Cap and was bleeding badly; I fear he might have to get stitches.
17. The air vent for heater pump is very loose. Flapping in the wind. The Fiat repair center screwed it in again, but he showed me that the one screw is stripped.
18. SAT/NAV – Not a recommended Sat Nav for a motorhome. No settings to restrict Height and weight for roads/bridges. Sat/Nav not functioning correctly as pictures/videos confirm. SAT/NAV Map updates 2013 (see picture), I updated to new maps but made no difference. I was almost 3 times in a serious accident because the GPS took us to bridges that was too low for the motorhome to get through. The police on a 3.5T road, which the GPS send us, also stopped us. Luckily the motorhome was declassed as an under 3.5t vehicle. GPS takes sometimes more than 30 minutes to get satellite lock. Only way to fix it was to reset to factory settings, switch of the car and wait again
19. Service Battery. As mentioned earlier the battery did not seem to hold its charge for long but as we are new motorhome owners did not think anything of it. We did not know how the battery was supposed to last… My wife woke me up at around 11PM after sleeping for about 2 hours or so, coughing and shouting that something is wrong. I woke the other two people and asked them to get outside as well as the two dogs we had with us. I then inspected the motorhome with caution and the strong smell of battery acid was hanging in the air. The smell came from below our bed where I have been sleeping up to recently. I got they keys and unlocked the service battery compartment and the fumes and noise that came from there was terrible. I immediately switched of the electricity, but the battery kept boiling and making popping sounds. I phoned RAC and they said it is not a big problem and will send out a repair team in the morning. Well my health and the H&S of my family and friends is a big thing to me!! We coughed and dogs vomited a few days after this episode still and my lungs still have a burning sensation with a bad taste in my mouth. We slept outside for the rest of the evening. The battery was replaced by the recommended Fiat repair center from RAC.
I have taken photos and videos of the above issues. As previously stated I want to give this motorhome back with above reasons as the motivation factors.
Marquis - Ipswich - Gavin Driver said they would sort these problems out but I dont trust them to do so.
1. They gave me a PDI checklist after i enquired about it on my return from the holiday. They checked everything as in working condition. I have proof that they just used it as a checklist excersize and not actually doing these checks. The pre-checks Marquis Motor Homes have done on this motorhome is far below an acceptable standard. The motorhome was on premises the day I bought it and I gave Marquis Motor Homes every chance to have all this checked and ready for my holiday.
2. Gavin told me to cancel my finance as it would be the easiest option. My Finance told me they wont cancel the finance agreement as Marquis must sort the problems out.
3. I send a letter to Alan Doherty - Group After Care manager, I asked Gavin a week later about the progress on this and he replied with "Alan have not receieved my letter" Lost in the post or just misplaced?
4. Now it is going to get ugly, I tried to be nice about it as would even consider buying from them again. Their refusal to actually acknowlede of their mistakes etc and me being stuck with a MH that I dont trust as far from ideal. Trade Standards and Solicotors is the only way forward if they dont start playing ball.
Thats my story so far , Will keep updating on progress....

I think enough to put anyone off.

Mickey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back